Brewer Fanatic

Yost goes back to traditional line up / change in baseball

ESPNOwen

Another question - did you have a problem, like Bill Schroeder, with Yost not sending runners before Prince grounds into a double play?

Milwaukee - Bottom of 6th SCORE

Tim Hudson pitching for Atlanta ATL MIL

M Cameron singled to right. 2 0

R Braun singled to right, M Cameron to second. 2 0

P Fielder grounded into double play, second to shortstop to first, R Braun out at second, M Cameron to third. 2 0

C Hart flied out to right. 2 0

0 Runs, 6 Hits, 0 Errors

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. I can't stand Yost at all. I've wanted him fired since late last year. But this is not a reason to fault him. Maybe I'm just too big a fan of Earl Weaver, but the "aggressive baserunning" stuff has led to way too many silly outs on the bases this season for my taste. When you've got the chance to hit a 3 run homer or a 2 run double, and any of your best power hitters is up (let alone the youngest ever player to hit 50 HR in a single season), it would be stupid to take any chances on the bases.

I didn't really have a problem with it either way. My personal preference would have been to send the runners because Prince is more likely to make some sort of contact than strike out, but I wasn't at all upset that they didn't send them. Rock just got a little lucky with the outcome and blew it out of proportion.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I should have just written down the full extent of what I was thinking so that people wouldn't extrapolate. In my observation there were times when Hardy would go out of his comfort zone to try to make something happen because the pitcher was behind him and the Brewers needed a run, and the chances of the Brewers getting a run were much higher with Hardy than the guy behind him. A typical situation would be two outs, guy on base, etc. In that case, it is actually preferable for a hitter to extend themselves, because a walk isn't that beneficial there.

Frank Thomas was criticized in Chicago because he was too comfortable taking a walk when he should have more agressive in getting a runner home. So it's not a bad thing that Hardy would extend himself, it's just a question of how comfortable he would be in doing so.

Another question - did you have a problem, like Bill Schroeder, with Yost not sending runners before Prince grounds into a double play?

Right now, it probably would have been a good idea to send the runners.

When Prince is really in a grove with the home run stroke, no, you let him hit with no distractions.

I did not have a problem with Yost on this play. I was more disappointed in Prince not getting the job done.

I can't stand it when hitters run all the way to the next base on deep, but catchable fly balls. I think Rickie did this last night or the day before......ran purty much all the way to second on a fly ball, then stood there to watch the fielder catch it, then sprinted back to first. How come they don't wait for a tag up and advance more often?

How come they don't wait for a tag up and advance more often?

Man, there could be many correct answers to this question.

What if you're tagging up, but the outfielder drops the ball? You end up at second base if you're lucky, hopefully you don't get thrown out on the force play.

Tagging up from first is very hard to do. You need a deep, deep, fly ball and an outfielder with a poor arm to advance.

Because the chances of advancing from 1st to 2nd on a fly ball are pretty unlikely, and if the outfielder pulls a Soriano out there, you don't wanna be sitting at first base waiting to see what happens.

I've seen Rickie try to tag from first before on a fly ball with the bases loaded. It was a VERY deep fly ball and he still got thrown out by a longshot. If Rickie can't pull that off, I'm not sure who on the team could.

~Nottso

Milwaukee - Bottom of 6th SCORE

Tim Hudson pitching for Atlanta ATL MIL

M Cameron singled to right. 2 0

R Braun singled to right, M Cameron to second. 2 0

P Fielder grounded into double play, second to shortstop to first, R Braun out at second, M Cameron to third. 2 0

C Hart flied out to right. 2 0

0 Runs, 6 Hits, 0 Errors

I was kind of confused with Schroeder's comments myself. I thought sending a runner while someone like Fielder is up went against conventional wisdom.

I see it this way Id rather have Kendall batting with the pitcher behind him than Hardy. Hardy needs the protection he can get. Look at how he did last year when he hit in front of Fielder

Again check the number, Hardy hits better in front of the pitcher than anywhere else.

I was kind of confused with Schroeder's comments myself. I thought sending a runner while someone like Fielder is up went against conventional wisdom.

I'm pretty sure that Prince has also said that he doesn't really like the runners moving while he's hitting, it distracts him.

I'm pretty sure that Prince has also said that he doesn't really like the runners moving while he's hitting, it distracts him.

So maybe if they're moving he'll hit a homer? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

~Nottso

I liked having Kendall in the 9 hole, but it sure frustrated me to see Kendall and Weeks get on only to have Cameron strikeout to end an inning....I do think that having Braun second and Fielder third would have improved the lineup...albeit only a slight improvement.

Here's Yost's reasoning on why he didn't send the runners with the full count last night:

"Prince is swinging the bat a lot better, to the point where we had first and second and nobody out and I was afraid to run the runners because I thought he was gonna rip a line drive to one of the infielders and hit into a triple play."

I didn't mind the call to not send them, but for that reason? Wow.

Here's the press conference video

Archived