Brewer Fanatic

MU lands big recruit

paul253
I am not sure how well Crean could recruit. He had a few studs in Wade, James and McNeal, and got a very highly rated guy out of Illinois right after Wade graduated, but I cant for the life of me think of his name. He ended up being a bit of a bust and transferred out after 2 seasons, but he was a good get. However, he could never get a big man, and there were seasons where his classes were terrible. He left them with a hude hole at 4 and 5 this season. The one guy they have over 6'8" is very raw and is a freshmen, so who knows whats going to happen with him. Hopefully Buzz can get some good post players because you can only go so far with 3 players 6'0 and under and 6 guys that are 6'5"-6'7"

I agree that the rep Crean got as a great recruiter was overrated. He had some good classes, but also his share of stinkers or very mediocre ones. Even the getting of Wade wasn't something where Crean stole Wade from other basketball powers, Wade was just an overlooked player who had grade issues and who ended up being a better player than expected. I forget exactly who else Wade had offers from, but it wasn't big schools like Kansas, Duke, or even say a Purdue level school.

As a bench coach, Crean won't ever be confused with other top minds in college basketball.

Dameon Mason...thats exactly who I was thinking of of. I believe he was runner up to Mr. Basketball in Illinois, which is no small feat. I believe his biggest problem was that he was supposed to be the next Wade.

Archived