Brewer Fanatic

MU lands big recruit

paul253
I don't want to start an MU-UW war here, but Marquette got a committment from reigning state player of the year Jeronne Maymon out of Madison today. I saw him play in the state tournament and the guy is a monster. Big catch for Marquette especially considering the new coach and the fact that a lot of the best WI athletes have been spurning MU lately. My only question is MU ever going to recruit someone bigger than 6'8"?

UW didn't recruit Maymon because he has a lot of baggage. He has some work to do to be academically eligible and he's got a headcase stage dad who demanded that he start and had previously stated that schools offering Jeronne would also have to give his less talented brother a scholarship. That's why his other finalists were Iowa State and Baylor.

I don't want to start an MU-UW war here, but Marquette got a committment from reigning state player of the year Jeronne Maymon out of Madison today. I saw him play in the state tournament and the guy is a monster. Big catch for Marquette especially considering the new coach and the fact that a lot of the best WI athletes have been spurning MU lately. My only question is MU ever going to recruit someone bigger than 6'8"?

I guess if you call two of the previous three state players of the year going to MU 'spurning', then yes, I guess you are right. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Didn't he already have an offer from the Badgers?

You may be thinking of his teammate, Vander Blue, who has already given UW a verbal commitment.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Is it just me, or did that interview with his father give off a pretty strong impression? All the "we're going to be great" type sentences where he lumped himself in with his son. And why is his father giving an exclusive interview in the first place? He seems like the type of guy who would cause trouble if his kid didn't get "enough" playing time.

While I will acknowledge that Tim loves his son and wants the best for him is commendable. With that said, his dad is bat crap crazy. There are dozens of quotes from him that make you laugh, stuff like running up and down the side lines cheering(which he does), checking Rivals to see if a school offered his son(All schools send out formal offer letters, and at the least make a verbal offer), telling Kansas that they would only consider schools that offer and that since Kansas was still showing interest(calling) then they must have offered even though they had not verbally or sent a written one.

I guess if you call two of the previous three state players of the year going to MU 'spurning', then yes, I guess you are right. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Cmon now, I am a much bigger fan of MU than I am of Wisconsin, but UW clearly was winning the battle for in state players lately. Tom Crean didnt even seem to bother recruiting them. Other than Diener, Novak, Matthews and Christopherson, thats about the best they have gotten in the past 6 or 7 years. Christopherson was actually co-player of the year, he tied with Keaton Nankavil, who of course went to Wisconsin. Meanwhile Brian Butch, Greg Stiemsma, Marcus Landy, Devin Harris, Tim Jarmuz, Trevon Hughes, etc. have gone to Wisconsin. Then you have guys like Jerry Smith, Diante Garrett, Korie Lucious, and probably Jamil Wilson who left the state all together. Looking at next years roster, Matthews is the only player from WI to even be on the team. I don't think its a stretch to say MU hasn't been getting the cream of the WI crop lately.

Cmon now, I am a much bigger fan of MU than I am of Wisconsin, but UW clearly was winning the battle for in state players lately. Tom Crean didnt even seem to bother recruiting them. Other than Diener, Novak, Matthews and Christopherson, thats about the best they have gotten in the past 6 or 7 years. Christopherson was actually co-player of the year, he tied with Keaton Nankavil, who of course went to Wisconsin. Meanwhile Brian Butch, Greg Stiemsma, Marcus Landy, Devin Harris, Tim Jarmuz, Trevon Hughes, etc. have gone to Wisconsin. Then you have guys like Jerry Smith, Diante Garrett, Korie Lucious, and probably Jamil Wilson who left the state all together. Looking at next years roster, Matthews is the only player from WI to even be on the team. I don't think its a stretch to say MU hasn't been getting the cream of the WI crop lately.

Dont let the facts get in the way of a good story, Paul.

I am a big UW fan, but I will stand by my original statement.

Dont let the facts get in the way of a good story, Paul.

Dude, I just named like 11 of the best players in the state from recent years that didnt pick Marquette and 4 that did. What facts are you referring to exactly? As I stated before I am a much bigger MU fan and only in the past 2 years or so have I even cheered for UW, but UW fans have a very good point when they say Marquette fans, mainly students, have some big "we are better than you" attitude. Ha...I didnt want this to turn into a battle, but now it seems like I am leading the charge, and for a side that I wouldn't think I'd be on. Maymom is a great catch for Marquette. Hopefully in future years they will continue to get the best players from the state, but to argue they already have been, at least consistently, is absurd. Maymon wasnt even really a target until Crean left.

Dude. I assumed by your thread start 'cream of the crop' meant POY's. (Silly me.) It's a good starting point to me. You did not get into such detail to enhance your reasoning until each successive post.

We agree to disagree.

I didnt get into excessive details until I had to, apparently, defend my posts. My third post had less information than my second. And yeah, players of the year are certainly the cream of the crop....but when 3/4 of them over the last 8 years go elsewhere, then I would say that, yeah, alot of them have been spurning them. I'm sorry, 4 good players in the last 8 doesn't sell me. But hey, maybe Maymom will help bring some more in....let's hope so.

Great get for Marquette if the kid can get his grades in order. I watched him in the WIAA tournament and Maymon is very skilled along with having nice size. He reminded me a bit of Tucker from UW, but as others noted, Maymon comes with the baggage of shaky grades and a nutty father who seems to be living through is skilled son.

Hope it works out for Buzz Williams, but it will be interesting to see how he deals with playing time. Buzz signed two JUCO kids in that 6'5-6'7 range, has a highly regarded Texas recruit Eric Williams who is 6'7, Maymon is 6'6/6'7, and Lazar Haywood is around 6'6. Crean had a thing for signing tons of guards and no bigs, Buzz looks to be loading up on forwards. He's going to need to sign a quality PG and hopefully a big man 6'10 or taller.

So far it looks like Buzz can recruit, whether he can coach will be the big unanswered question.

I am not sure how well Crean could recruit. He had a few studs in Wade, James and McNeal, and got a very highly rated guy out of Illinois right after Wade graduated, but I cant for the life of me think of his name. He ended up being a bit of a bust and transferred out after 2 seasons, but he was a good get. However, he could never get a big man, and there were seasons where his classes were terrible. He left them with a hude hole at 4 and 5 this season. The one guy they have over 6'8" is very raw and is a freshmen, so who knows whats going to happen with him. Hopefully Buzz can get some good post players because you can only go so far with 3 players 6'0 and under and 6 guys that are 6'5"-6'7"

I am not sure how well Crean could recruit. He had a few studs in Wade, James and McNeal, and got a very highly rated guy out of Illinois right after Wade graduated, but I cant for the life of me think of his name. He ended up being a bit of a bust and transferred out after 2 seasons, but he was a good get. However, he could never get a big man, and there were seasons where his classes were terrible. He left them with a hude hole at 4 and 5 this season. The one guy they have over 6'8" is very raw and is a freshmen, so who knows whats going to happen with him. Hopefully Buzz can get some good post players because you can only go so far with 3 players 6'0 and under and 6 guys that are 6'5"-6'7"

Are you thinking of Dameon Mason, out of Illinois, who ended up transferring to LSU? There was also Odartey Blankson, from Illinois, who went to UNLV, although I can't remember if he was a Crean recruit or not.

Anyway, hopefully for MU's sake the kid works out, but from what I've read, I'm glad UW didn't go after him. He seems like a transfer waiting to happen when he doesn't get "enough" playing time. May not be worth the hassle.

Archived