Brewer Fanatic

How viable is Erasmo Ramirez?

cwolf2012

I think what likely factors in here is what AndThat mentioned in the Tavarez thread -- he's a cheap alternative that we wouldn't need to worry about burning up waivers, etc. The impression I get is that Tavarez might just be a stop-gap until Riske & Gagne are back, and could very well get released at that point for minimal cost.

AT's quote:

"According to my arithmetic, the Brewers will be paying Tavarez $267,150. That's the prorated amount of the $390,000 minimum MLB salary he'll receive."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

A similar guy that I'd be much more interested in is Edwar Ramirez. The Yanks picked him up out of an independent league a couple years ago and seem to mostly be using him in a mop-up role despite his 0.00 ERA this year and 46 K's in 33.2 major league innings. His numbers since the Yankees picked him up in 2006 are just absolutely stunning.

In 130 1/3 innings at A, AA, AAA, and the majors, he's struck out 208 guys. That's 14.4 K's per 9. Also, he's only given up 7 home runs over that time.

The problem is, who do the Brewers have that they could offer? LaPorta, Gamel, Salome, Jeffress, etc. would be too much, but Counsell would be too little. They could use a guy to take some innings, but would Bush be too much? Or would they laugh at that offer?

sorry, didn't mean to digress like that. as for Erasmo, he has great ERA's and WHIPs throughout his 630 pro innings. He seems to get by on great control. He hardly walks anybody, but he doesn't strike anybody out and doesn't have a really low HR rate. He seems like he would be worth a shot, at least more so that Zach Jack, but I'm not sure how good he'd be. For example, ZIPS has him projected at a 4.75 ERA (and that was in Florida's park), which is pretty below average for a relief pitcher.

edit: whoops, now I see Zach has been optioned back to AAA.

For example, ZIPS has him projected at a 4.75 ERA (and that was in Florida's park), which is pretty below average for a relief pitcher.

I understand the projections, but what else are we going to do? I have a hard time believing Jackson, DiFelice, or Tavarez project any better than that, and Gagne is Gagne right now (and probably the same when he gets back). He's not on the 40 man roster right now: Could that be a reason we haven't done anything with him?

Archived