Brewer Fanatic

Fixing the Milwaukee Bucks -- Latest: Mo Williams traded (reply #290)

twobrewers
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In Wisconsin, you have Packer football, Badger football, and pretty much everything else after that.
That kind of thing is cyclical though. The Packers and Badgers were behind the Brewers in the late 70's early 80's. Heck the Badgers were probably behind the Bucks in the 80's.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

it was maybe three years ago, but i remember a radio interview with the GM of the Raptors (or was it the Blue Jays?). either way, it felt like he could have been talking about Milwaukee. he understood what living in Toronto was like and so didn't ever really go after FAs who were single or who liked to party and so on. The players he typically courted were the married ones, the ones who wanted a safer city, a diverse city, and he'd spend a lot of time talking to the player about what a great place it would be for his wife and kids to live in. If I had kids, I'd much rather have them in a place like Milwaukee or Salt Lake City than Miami or LA.

As I said on realgm, this would be an awful deal.

I agree. I can't back a trade of a guy like Mo Williams for just expiring contracts, I think we need to get some value for him, and/or be able to unload Gadzuric in the deal.

I would be a lot happier if Nick Collison or Chris Wilcox were in the deal. I also kind of like Luke Ridnour, but his play has seemed to slip in the last year or two. What happened to him? Another guys I wouldn't hate getting is Anderson Varajeo, although I'm not sure he'll ever be much more than an energy guy off the bench. I'm not a big fan of Delonte West, but I've heard Earl Watson's name mentioned a lot. Is he good.

This is what bugs me about the NBA trade market. So many trades have absolutely nothing to do with the product on the court, they are strictly financial moves. Stop giving mediocre players millions of dollars and we wouldn't have to constantly see these salary dump type of moves. I kind of hope that a star like LeBron or Kobe actually goes and plays in Europe, maybe it will knock some sense into the league and maybe they will realize the league isn't as healthy as they think it is.

I think if the skiles is serious about playing d and spreading the ball out you need to move Mo. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'd give him away for expiring contracts, as he is one of the better points in the league. I'd be fine with Mo if he didn't take so many quick shots instead of working the offense. Maybe Skiles can get him to do so.

nba basketball is as exciting as an apple core in your trunk. i'd say what the bucks need to do is to find mike wilkinson, and sign him, wherever he is. then, sign brian butch. add bogut, and you got three tall white guys in the middle, thats a gimmick if i've ever seen one.

I never would have guessed someone would add nothing rather than just rip on the NBA.

wallus wrote:

I never would have guessed someone would add nothing rather than just rip on the NBA.

Absolutely, why post in a thread that you obviously do not care or know anything about? Thanks for contributing to the conversation.

The way I look at this trade, and it seems like it will go down, is that we just cannot have a score first PG on this team with Redd, Jefferson and Bogut. The Bucks need more of a distributor type because there are not enough shots for Williams, Redd and Jefferson. We are going to be getting the raw end of the deal talent wise but it seems like the team wants to change directions.

Well, looks like its a done deal. If Ridnour can return to his 06 form, he's be a solid guy to share minutes at the point. The inclusion of Mason was puzzling. Adrian Griffen and Joe Smith become the tough defensive players that can come in off the bench to start developing that defensive culture they are looking for.

That being said, this deal is entirely underwhelming.

On Espn they are saying that the Bucks are getting Damon Jones, Luke Ridnour and Adrian Griffen. I'm pretty sure we didn't get Joe Smith. I don't like this trade unless Jones and Griffen are shipped along w/ Villanueva for an upgrade at power forward.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Bullox,

You assume Ridnour is the starter. This trade, to me, this is addition by subtraction.

Hmmmm.

Well, we all knew that having a shoot first point guard with Redd, Jefferson, Villy, and Bogut just was not going to work. However, I'm not sure we got back what we needed. Ridnour is servicable, but Jones and Griffen are useless.

It does clear up the SF position though.

So:

PG - Ridnour, Lue/Sessions

SG - Redd, Bell, Jones

SF - Jefferson, Luc Mbah a Moute

PF - Villanueva, Alexander, Allen

C - Bogut, Gadzooks

Bullox,

You assume Ridnour is the starter. This trade, to me, this is addition by subtraction.

Would you start Sessions or Lue over Ridnour? I liked what I saw from Sessions at the end of last year, but I'd like to see that on a more consistent basis before I hand the reins over to him. Who knows, maybe he really impresses at camp and gets the nod.

At this point, barring any other moves or a Sessions breakout, Ridnour has to be the starter.

Bad news: we now have the worst bench in the entire league, maybe in all of pro sports (seriously, take a look - it's downright awful)

Good news: games will start 4 minutes earlier since we won't have to wait for Mo to high-five everyone on the bench, scorers table and first 2 rows before he's ready for the opening tip-off

Why not get some draft picks instead of three useless players? I admit I dont follow the Bucks all that much, but strictly talent wise Mason and Williams are far superior to that crap they got in return. Unless they are planning on making a huge splash in free agency next season, I just dont see why they'd bother trading for these guys.

I wonder if CV still might play off the bench. That would give one 'scorer' in the second group.

PT is going to be interesting. Might be a 'platoon' all year there. At least Skiles has options and Lue does give some insurance @ the point.

Depth (at least that can score) is an issue, but if we look at this as a two-year process, then I'd say year one isn't to bad. I know Dez has a following, but I never really saw what he brought to the table that is anything noteworthy.

RJ, Redd and Bogut are going to certainly get their shots. Good point was made about getting to the basket off the dribble...that is going to have to be RJ or bust, but still nice steps (IMO) by Hammonds.

Once this season is cleared, the books to open up a bit. Also eating another year of Gaz will help trade him next summer. I'd assume the same with Bell, but since he will have to have an expanded role this year...maybe he plays better and his vaule increases. Possible.

Just my opinion again, but a nice deal as far as it's inpact down the road, maybe not so much on the court.

i think Sessions is now the starter (or atleast will be given every opportunity to win it). Ridnour will definitly pass more but can't shoot. Jones is a good 3 point scorer (or atleast was when he was here before).

Obviously we didn't get fair value back, but it frees up atleast 1 bad contract Harris signed a player 2 and really there is only one bad one left on the team.

Too bad Ferry wasn't dumb enough to take Gadz back or give up Gibson.

While we certainly took a hit on the talent side, I don't see how this makes us a worse team. As homer said, addition by subtraction. Mo has a lot of talent but any team is gonna have a hell of time winning a championship with him at the point. The Cavs are probably a perfect fit for him since Lebron can handle the ball.

Also, does Jones just get waived? They probably just want his salary to clear for next year. Damon Jones is a major plus if he never plays a minute for us. The Marcus Camby trade really showed just how important cap room is in the NBA.

The problem with all of this cap space nonsense is that no one in their right mind would choose Milwaukee (while the team is bad) over another city without getting overpaid. This creates a never ending cycle of ugly contracts. This team needs to be built through the draft and or trades.

Archived