Brewer Fanatic

Baseball/Softball rules question (tagging up)

Baldkin
the point is that you are showing the other team up that way. Any play like this that starts a yelling match or heated argument is considered bush. You are purposely making an error to take advantage. Again it has nothing to do with hustling.

I strongly disagree jwill. Every time that this play has been done, the only yelling by the other team is toward their own player. It isn't about hustle, in that they don't have to sprint down the line. They just have to make minimal effort to do a light jog in the direction of first base. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be playing. That is one of the most selfing things a player can do.... hit a pop up, and walk straight to the dugout.

I totally agree with your other situations being jag moves. You can add those to the others listed earlier including peppering the middle with a big lead.

I let a pop up drop at SS and we got a DP out of it. It's not bush league at all, it's taking advantage of bad softball.

It happens in MLB once or twice a year, usually on a bunt with the pitcher running (or not running). You cannot touch the ball, you have to let it drop, risking a bad hop or spin and not getting anyone out. With that risk, you deserve the reward.

Yeah, on a flyout you can walk to 1B if the ball is dropped. On a popout you may need to slightly jog.

Realistically, the only way a batter gets doubled up in most situations like this is if he is one of those guys how pops up and heads straight to the dugout. He deserves it then.

Archived