Brewer Fanatic

No MLB team has played fewer home games

I appreciate the people on here that are experts in regards to statistics and the projections that follow, but let's stop pretending it always works out that way. Remember, we're still dealing with humans.

I don't think anyone here realistically believes that things always work out the way the numbers might suggest... just that it tends to be a more reliable method of predicting what little we can of what's likely to happen in the future. I'm very sure that the long road trips have had a cumulative effect of some kind on the team to this point, but I personally don't have any idea how that could be quantified (not suggesting that it 'needs' to be or 'should' be).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Cubs will have just 2 trips of 9 or 10 games and have yet to endure either one.

It should also be noted that one of those 9 game road trips includes a "road" series against the White Sox in Interleague Play. The other comes in September, when the Cubs should have a playoff spot just about locked up. But that's neither here nor there. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Here's a look at every team's totals as of today:

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Florida - 30 (18-12 home, 12-8 away)

Atlanta - 29 (22-7 home, 6-16 away)

Philadelphia - 25 (14-11 home, 15-13 away)

New York - 22 (12-10 home, 11-16 away)

Washington - 28 (13-15 home, 9-15 away)

Chicago - 28 (20-8 home, 10-13 away)

St. Louis - 27 (17-10 home, 13-12 away)

Houston - 24 (15-9 home, 14-14 away)

Pittsburgh - 26 (15-11 home, 9-15 away)

Milwaukee - 20 (11-9 home, 13-18 away)

Cincinnati - 23 (14-9 home, 9-19 away)

Arizona - 27 (19-8 home, 11-13 away)

Los Angeles - 26 (15-11 home, 11-13 away)

Colorado - 26 (12-14 home, 8-17 away)

San Francisco - 26 (11-15 home, 9-16 away)

San Diego - 25 (11-14 home, 8-19 away)

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Tampa Bay - 28 (20-8 home, 11-12 away)

Boston - 26 (21-5 home, 11-17 away)

Toronto - 26 (15-11 home, 13-14 away)

Baltimore - 22 (15-7 home, 10-18 away)

New York - 26 (14-12 home, 11-14 away)

Chicago - 21 (13-9 home, 15-13 away)

Minnesota - 28 (16-12 home, 9-13 away)

Cleveland - 30 (15-15 home, 8-13 away)

Detroit - 26 (12-14 home, 9-16 away)

Kansas City - 22 (10-12 home, 11-18 away)

Los Angeles - 26 (15-11 home, 16-11 away)

Oakland - 27 (16-11 home, 12-12 away)

Texas - 23 (12-11 home, 14-16 away)

Seattle - 25 (11-14 home, 7-20 away)

So I suppose things could be worse. The Brewers could be as brutal on the road as the Mariners, but at the same time, tons of home games doesn't guarantee success -- just take a look at Cleveland.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The Cubs will have just 2 trips of 9 or 10 games and have yet to endure either one.

One of those 2 includes driving down to US Cowhiskeyular Park, a wicked 5 mile detour on the front end of the "road trip."

The Cubs have ONE 3-city trip. ONE. This schedule REAKS of MLB trying to get all David Stern and inserting tentacles trying to market the "100 year" curse angle. I am usually level headed on conspiracy theories, but this one is fishy.

To wit, the Brewers take a total of 8 of their season's off days on the road. The Cubs: 4. How many total off days are there for any team?

The best thing that can happen is A LOT of rain at Wrigley just wreaking havoc on their preciously massaged schedule.

edit:

odd time to think exactly alike regarding the Sox park visit

First of all, very few guys have their families with them until June, when school is out.

That said, two quick hits here:

The Brewers have played much better at home than they have on the road for ages, moreso than most clubs, consistently enough where it does not appear to be a fluke. Probably because they are young and they are built for power, which favors MP.

While it is nice to have both a tough schedule out of the way and more home games "banked", it doesn't matter if the team does not play well, or they suffer a key injury or two.

One of those 2 includes driving down to US Cowhiskeyular Park, a wicked 5 mile detour on the front end of the "road trip."

The Cubs have ONE 3-city trip. ONE. This schedule REAKS of MLB trying to get all David Stern and inserting tentacles trying to market the "100 year" curse angle. I am usually level headed on conspiracy theories, but this one is fishy.

To wit, the Brewers take a total of 8 of their season's off days on the road. The Cubs: 4. How many total off days are there for any team?

The best thing that can happen is A LOT of rain at Wrigley just wreaking havoc on their preciously massaged schedule.

edit:

odd time to think exactly alike regarding the Sox park visit

If there really was a conspiracy, though, wouldn't you think it would favor the Brewers given Bud's ties to Milwaukee? The Cubs' schedule stinks from the Brewers' perspective, sure, but the Cubs still have to play well enough at home to win. The Cubs have been better on the road than the Brewers have for the past few years, anyway, so I don't know how much that really helps them. I know some Cubs fans aren't happy about having to end the year playing at St. Louis and then at Milwaukee -- the two teams they thought they'd be fighting the division for at the beginning of the year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The conspiracy stuff is just stupid, as it always is. The key is to play an easy schedule when you are at less than full strength, and a tougher schedule when you are healthy and/or playing well...good luck trying to finagle that.

there's really no need to call people "stupid"

EDIT: I think the NBA ref (Donaghy?) gambling on games is proof enough that the possibility of conspiracies is very much real.

You called his idea stupid... one that isn't all that crazy considering another major sport has lent validity to long-enduring questions about its referee integrity. As I stated, I don't think it's true, but I certainly don't dismiss it as "stupid" -- improbable, perhaps, but not stupid.

I agree that consipiracy theories are usually fabricated illusions. The NBA story is not really a conspiracy theory as much of an individual breaking the rules. I don't think dad was calling anyone in particular stupid, rather than conspiracy theories in general.

The facts is the Brewers are not playing good baseball. If there is a consipiracy it's Fielder's attitude. This has nothing to do with the schedule, and to hear the manager blame the schedule for his team's suckitude so far this year is just another reason for me to visit the Yost is Toast thread.

The NBA story is not really a conspiracy theory as much of an individual breaking the rules.

One individual breaking the rules in a fashion that many fans had wondered about occuring for many years, and generally this notion was greeted as a 'conspiracy theory.' I'm just saying that you might not agree that there's a conspiracy or agenda by the league (I personally don't think there is one), but to dismiss it as stupid doesn't seem just. Unlikely, sure -- implausible? Not really.

The whole question in this particular instance imo is just random variation. Once again the events at the beginning of the season are magnified because they show up readily visible in the stats & standings every day. If this stretch were in mid-July, I doubt many people would even take notice, since the overall record would likely 'mask' its impact.

The Padres have a winning record during the day, but have only played 14 day games, therefore they just need more day games to turn this around

How can you compare these two things? Playing at home is a clear advantage for any team because of the opportunity to bat last. That's an advantage even before you consider things like the home crowd, familiar stadium, no travel, etc.

Actually for thr Padres it could be a real thing. Day games surpress offense and when you basically have to hold the other team under 3 runs to win every little bit helps.

The Padres have a winning record during the day, but have only played 14 day games, therefore they just need more day games to turn this around

How can you compare these two things? Playing at home is a clear advantage for any team because of the opportunity to bat last. That's an advantage even before you consider things like the home crowd, familiar stadium, no travel, etc.

I am of the opinion that the team is just plain playing bad right now, and thinking the amount of roads games is a large factor in that is just as arbitrary as blaming the Padres record on a lack of day games.

I think it's significant at this point in the season that the Cubs are 12-4 against the Pirates and Padres.

What should they have gone, 10-6? The Cubs were expected to be a good team before the season started and have made good on that expectation so far. Are they going to stay on pace for 98 wins? Very doubtful. They are a very good team, however.

Is that true? Day/Night OPS splits (AL & NL) from 2007 appear basically dead even, as does run-scoring.

I've never heard of that and it certainly hasn't been true the last couple of years:

MLB, 2007:

Day: .266/.334/.423/.757

Night:.268/.336/.422/.758

MLB, 2006:

Day: .266/.336/.430/.766

Night: .270/.336/.432/.769

What should they have gone, 10-6? The Cubs were expected to be a good team before the season started and have made good on that expectation so far. Are they going to stay on pace for 98 wins? Very doubtful. They are a very good team, however.
The Cubs are a good team, I don't disagree. Maybe better than I thought; sure was impressive they swept Arizona and the Dodgers. It's true you have to beat up on the weak teams if you hope to be compete for a playoff spot. I just don't think they are unbeatable. Seems as though the Brewers have played a bit tougher competition so far. The Cubs are closer to .500 against better competition. I'm still not convinced they are a better team than the Brewers. I thought the "experts" were wacked at the start of the season, but I guess so far, they have been correct. However, in the end I still think I'll prove to have been right.

It probably doesn't hurt the Cubs that they've played the Pirtates TWELVE times already or the fact that they've played over 30 home games. Their schedule hasn't been all that tough and I give them credit for winning games they should be winning.

That being said, we'll see what happens when that schedule flips and they're not playing the Pirates all the time and hit the road for some 3 team trips.

Archived