Brewer Fanatic

Hall upset with playing time

Tom H has a blog post about Billy being upset about the current situation at third base. I understand that Billy wants to play every day but does he not realize that he has been absolutely atrocious against right handed pitching? He also says "going on the last 4 years, nothing makes sense."

Is Bill Hall starting to get pissed off about switching positions, getting platooned and starting to speak up about it? What does this mean for the chemistry of this team?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Bill Hall starting to get pissed off about switching positions, getting platooned and starting to speak up about it? What does this mean for the chemistry of this team?

Honestly, I hope it means that players should be on notice that they're not entitled to a starting gig on the team if they aren't performing. I'm sure the rest of the club doesn't want to see Billy's lack of production vs. RHP either.

IIRC Hall made a comment after being moved to 3B this year that at some point and time he has to keep his integrity (paraphrased). He wasn't happy then and obviously isn't now -- it's too bad he just doesn't go out and perform. This would all be avoided if he did that.

I can understand Billy's frustration since he's done everything that's been asked of him in switching positions this year and last, but he looks lost at the plate...and on this road trip, was brutal in the field. I hope he gets it back, but a platoon might be the best thing for him right now.

As long as Hall has a chance to win back some time (And I think he can, if he limits his K rate) he should be able to win back his spot easy enough. Just start hitting billy when you have a chance. You've been a pretty big black hole in the line up since the first few weeks.

Hall has a right to be upset. He's certainly done no worse vs. expectations than Hardy or Weeks and they haven't been benched. Plus he's 9 for his last 24 with a 6 game hitting streak which is an odd time to bench a guy.

Hall has a right to be upset. He's certainly done no worse vs. expectations than Hardy or Weeks and they haven't been benched. Plus he's 9 for his last 24 with a 6 game hitting streak which is an odd time to bench a guy.

It's not a "who deserves to be benched issue". Hall's splits vs. RHP have been miserable ... So you bring up the platoon guy who's splits historically vs. RHP have been very good.

What am I missing here?

Bill Hall can stick it. Stop trying to pull everything. Stop sucking in the field. Start hitting righties once in a while. Then, maybe, we'll let you play every day.

Now, I understand if he's upset because Weeks has been worse. Weeks has been terrible. But there isn't a second baseman hitting .360 with double-digit home runs in Nashville.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

This was predictable. This will be an interesting story for the rest of the year. Hall is trying to win his job back, not just for this year, but also for his future with the team. His stance and approach have changed from his productive years, is that correct? I wonder if this will put him in the video room until he rediscovers his stroke.

If you look at the numbers, which I currently am not, Rickie and Hall's numbers are pretty much a push. But, Rickie is trying to go the other way and he also take a few pitches. Rickie is a better base runner and currently a better fielder.

Hall can't be listening to anybody when it comes to his hitting. Any intelligent Brewer fan knows that Hall, when hitting well, goes the other way as well as anybody on the team. For some reason he keeps trying to pull the outside pitch. Makes zero sense to me. He has to see it too.

I really think that if Branyan fails, you may see Gamel is September. We may see Gamel sooner if we fall out of the race.

Billy would make a nice SS (at least on D) for a team. Just thinking out-loud, but I wonder if JJ and TGJ could land any pitching of value?
I have never been a fan of Hall's defense. He just seems to be a good athlete playing baseball instead of a ball player. He is, in my opinion, the worst fundamental ballplyayer on the team. He plays balls off to the side on defense. He is a flat out awful base runner. Last, but not least, he looks like he is guessing at the plate more often than not. I think he can hit better than he has and should, at most, only be on the bench once per series instead of a straight platoon. He had similar LHP/RHP splits as Hardy and Cameron coming into the season and none were thought of as platoon players. I don't think that should change based on what has happend so far this season.

If you look at the numbers, which I currently am not, Rickie and Hall's numbers are pretty much a push. But, Rickie is trying to go the other way and he also take a few pitches. Rickie is a better base runner and currently a better fielder.

Weeks also has a .335 OBP to go with his terrible BA unlike Hall who is sitting at .292.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Why is this even an issue? He is not happy with his playing time so what? What if Hall said he was OK with this and was just basically hinting at giving up? Wouldn't you be more upset over that?

I never got why people get upset over a play complaining about playing time. It shows that they are competitive as long as they are not disrupting the team with some antics it shouldn't matter at all.

Plain and simple, you're paid big bucks to hit the ball, and field the ball. If you struggle to hit the ball or field the ball, they're not going to pay you the big bucks to be a nice guy. You will sit. It seemed like lately he was starting to come around, but he struggles to hit for average against righties, but has more homers and RBI against them. My biggest concern has been his defense this year. He's seemed a bit off to me.

"Going on the last four years, nothing makes any sense," he said. "My understanding is we needed a left-handed bat in the lineup and I was the odd man out. Does that make any sense? We'll see what happens the next couple of days."

Was he going after Yost?

craigharmann wrote:

My biggest concern has been his defense this year. He's seemed a bit off to me.

He is playing defense like I remember from his year at SS. Lots of mental mistakes and trying to make big plays instead of taking the sure out. I am surprised his offense has sucked this much, but I don't expect it to continue.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived