Brewer Fanatic

Outs on the Bases

Fike85

This should be normalized against OBP, or something -- the Nats are on the bottom, probably because they can't get on base.

Yeh, well they have a pretty low LOB as well. Bill would be proud!

I just wanted to point out that all the noise about the Brewers making a ton of base running errors is bologna, from what I can tell. if someone want to prove me wrong, they'll have to go through the game logs and find a bunch of ROEs.

Does GDP mean "grounded" strictly?

Ha. Never thought about it. I guess I don't know.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not advance the idea that the brewers made more outs on the bases than other teams, just that many of there outs are of the little league variety.

Getting thrown out by 10-15 feet at home plate, hart running with his head down and running into Prince at 3rd, a suicide squeeze missed, so Hart gets in a run down at 3rd. Things that a big league team should not do. I have no idea if other teams also make the same number of bonehead mistakes as the brewers, as opposed to aggressive baserunning where the other team has to make a good or perfect play to get the out.

Tonight, Weeks would have been out on a perfect throw to the plate, but would have scored (as he did) 90% of the time. What it often comes down to is simple mathematics. Dale seems to get it, as he seems much more aggressive with 2 outs.

I have no idea if other teams also make the same number of bonehead mistakes as the brewers, as opposed to aggressive baserunning where the other team has to make a good or perfect play to get the out.

If you've watched Brewer games this year, you've seen some pretty bad baserunning from the opposing team as well.

Getting thrown out by 10-15 feet at home plate, hart running with his head down and running into Prince at 3rd, a suicide squeeze missed, so Hart gets in a run down at 3rd. Things that a big league team should not do.

Yes, it's something that no baseball player over the age of 10 should do. But it happens... mistakes happen, and they happen to every team. They just stand out in the memory banks, because they're so dang frustrating.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

OK, so now that we've blown this myth out of the water, who's going to prove that the Brewers face no worse against pitchers they've never faced than any other team. I can't do it all by myself!

What's ironic is that I know I do the same thing with football. I love football but I am no student. Like any other average fa, that won't stop me from making the same, cliched and probably incorrect observations about my beloved Packers. So I hope no one takes me scrutinizing their comments personally.

Thanks for debunking the myth rluzinski.

I wouldn't say he debunked anything -- he definitely showed that some teams make more outs on the bases than other teams, and even perhaps it could be something that the Brewers need to improve on -- certainly though the Brewers are not the worse.

who's going to prove that the Brewers face no worse against pitchers they've never faced than any other team.

I think you mean "fare"? -- however, I think though you are right.

What is indisputable though -- is that the Brewers are the worst team in MLB history against guys with ridiculous names. If the Brewers run across Poindexter Flavenfluffen, we are putting up a lot of goose eggs.

Yes, fare was what I meant. And no, I didn't close the book on the Brewers possibly having below average base runners as a whole. Now did I even suggest that they don't have room to improve. I just showed that, at least for this year so far, they are no where near the worst (again, if my estimates were correct). I just find it odd that fans convince themselves that their team is alway the worst at everything, despite having no good way to determine how good everyone else even is. I mean, they just MUST be the worst, right?

Archived