Brewer Fanatic

Outs on the Bases

Fike85
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An aggressive attempt at the winning run in the bottom of the 9th is nowhere near a baserunning blunder like getting picked off 2B. Besides, a nearly perfect throw still couldn't get Hall -- it wasn't all that risky. Apples to oranges imo.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Looking at it on replay, Blanco had no momentum going forward at all, and still almost got him. Erstad ended a game over the weekend on a ball about 15-20 feet deeper. With Braun up next, you could make the argument to have him stay...but you'd be wrong.

You wouldn't necessarily be wrong, as I don't think it was a no-brainer call. Given the game situation (obv. including the foot speed of the runner), I think the correct play (not gamble, as I agree that the odds favored the score) was made. The result in this case supported that. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Blanco had time to get in better throwing/crow-hopping position iirc, so it's further illustration that the right decision was to go for the tag-up -- force the defense to make a perfect throw. This is still vastly different from getting picked off 2B, which is much more what this thread's OP was about; not making a smart tag-up decision.

There's a difference between a close play at the plate and being thrown out by 25 feet. By your logic, the players shouldn't even bother looking at the 3rd base coach, if there are 2 outs and they get to 3rd, just keep going home. That doesn't sound like sound strategy to me.

The coach has a good angle, if all it takes is a throw in the vicinity, you probably only have a 5-10% chance of scoring. But with 2 outs, if it takes a good play from the OF, a good throw to the cut off man, a catch and a good throw to the C, and the C to catch it...that's 5 things that have to go near perfectly. If they do those well, the runner might be out by 15-20 feet...if the OF throw is off, or the 2B bobbles it, or doesn't get a good grip on the ball, or can't find the catcher, or throws it on a short hop that's hard to catch, you might well score.

Again, it's math. Even with Braun up, you're only going to score from 3B with 2 outs 35% of the time...if you have a chance to win the game on a small mistake by an opponent, you go for it...and tell them good job if they can make the out.

I disagree with your math.

These guys are major leaguers, executing a throw in from the OF isn't that difficult.

I remember us making a few outs at home plate this year, I don't recall anybody who was safe at home b/c the throw in from the OF was that poor, or the cutoff man was missed.

But with 2 outs, if it takes a good play from the OF, a good throw to the cut off man, a catch and a good throw to the C, and the C to catch it...that's 5 things that have to go near perfectly. If they do those well, the runner might be out by 15-20 feet...if the OF throw is off, or the 2B bobbles it, or doesn't get a good grip on the ball, or can't find the catcher, or throws it on a short hop that's hard to catch, you might well score.
I don't know how the cutoff man not having a good grip on the ball is the difference of 15-20 feet. These are all very broad terms...good, near-perfect, well, throw is "off", 2b bobbles it (little bobble or big bobble?). I don't know how you can draw the percentages you did by using terms like that.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

AdvantageSchneider wrote:

I remember us making a few outs at home plate this year, I don't recall anybody who was safe at home b/c the throw in from the OF was that poor, or the cutoff man was missed.

Happened just this weekend. Bad throw from LF that Zimmerman had to field and he made a bad throw on top of that.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The other night, the hitter made no attempt to run to 1B as the ball bounced away from Jason. As Kendall picked up the ball, the umpire saw the runner halfway back to the dugout and called him out...I'd never seen that before, I guess if no attempt is made, you don't have to tag them.

If the runner was halfway to the dugout, then he was out of the base path and is out.

Hall scored a while back on a close play when the ball was several feet away from home. I remember that the C caught the ball just as Hall was sliding...would have been out had the throw been good, but since "it wasn't even close", no one even mentioned it.

Never seen an out call before the tag was made.

The rule is that once a batter heads far enough out of the field of play (back to the dugotu), he can be called out. I've seen many times a hitter walk away from a dropped third strike without even looking back. Sometimes the C will reach out to tag him, & sometimes he'll take a few steps to tag the batter. Many times, the out is just given without the tag, due to the batter's walk back to the dugout.

Hall scored a while back on a close play when the ball was several feet away from home. I remember that the C caught the ball just as Hall was sliding...would have been out had the throw been good, but since "it wasn't even close", no one even mentioned it.

Was that the difference of 15-20 feet?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

This whole thread has been to attempt to tackle that question. I think the consensus has been that the Brewers do it just about the same as the rest of the league... or if not, they're not far away from the middle of the pack.

OP: It seems as if the Brewers make a silly out on the bases in pretty much every game they play. Does anybody know how many they've made in relation to the rest of the league?

Post #8: I don't recall more than a out or two at home all year, and none without 2 outs (or on contact plays with a runner at 3B). Hart and Weeks get thrown out trying to steal once in a while, but I'm not sure where "all these outs" are coming from.

I would compare this to the supposed "we've blown so many late leads", when in reality, they're about 20-2 when leading after 8. Just trying to assign blame when the real problem is simple; low OBP, subpar SLG, and a high ERA.

Those are pretty difficult things to fix, however, so folks look for easy problems...however, they are rarely anything more than imaginary.

Post #12: To me, it seems like we make more outs on the bases then our opponents do against us. I have no stats to back that up though. If my hunch is right it doesn't necessarily mean that we make more outs on the bases than other teams, it could mean that don't execute in those same situations when we are in the field.

Post #13: the Crew has picked off several runners at 1B, Braun has some assists, and so on.

Post #15: I don't mean to suggest that some topics are not worthy of being explored. We just don't even know if it's really a team deficiency, much less whether it's easy to fix. Fans always think their team:

* Makes too many outs on the bases

* Doesn't get enough clutch hits

* Gives up too many 2 strike/2 out hits

* Doesn't move the runners over often enough

* Doesn't score a lead off double or runner at 3B with less than 2 outs often enough

And on and on. As a fan, that stuff always seems to occur more often than they should. Often, I just don't think we can eyeball that kind of stuff and know if our team really is worse than average. We need to look at the numbers.

Post #20: I remember a game against the Cardinals where Pujols made 3 outs on the bases and there were at least 2 hit and runs that went bad.

I would guess it is tough to tell if we are worse than other teams and the Brewers just look bad because we see them everyday.

Just to recap. I don't think we can trust 'seems like', because not many people here really watch enough of every other team to compare fairly.

I finally tried to estimate "out on bases" for every NL team so far:

Team GP AB R H SB CS BB HBP GDP LOB ROE OOB
Houston Astros 61 2070 274 539 63 20 173 17 32 405 38 56
St. Louis Cardinals 62 2126 289 588 27 12 265 14 57 505 39 55
Cincinnati Reds 61 2062 270 522 45 21 233 9 41 440 38 51
San Diego Padres 62 2168 226 520 20 6 224 21 43 484 39 51
San Francisco Giants 60 2062 237 535 53 21 179 20 51 433 38 51
Los Angeles Dodgers 60 2023 262 535 50 20 202 15 59 419 38 50
Chicago Cubs 61 2150 346 615 42 17 255 25 44 497 38 46
Arizona Diamondbacks 60 1994 292 506 23 8 226 21 38 419 38 42
Colorado Rockies 60 2090 247 531 46 14 207 20 46 461 38 42
Milwaukee Brewers 60 2060 269 521 40 17 191 33 34 441 38 39
Florida Marlins 59 2025 289 526 29 11 181 18 34 403 37 36
Pittsburgh Pirates 60 2115 294 549 16 6 197 24 37 441 38 36
Atlanta Braves 61 2095 290 580 22 9 239 10 58 487 38 32
Philadelphia Phillies 62 2132 328 560 41 6 229 23 35 457 39 31
Washington Nationals 61 2029 229 474 23 11 203 30 54 432 38 30
New York Mets 59 2030 282 516 56 14 233 12 44 443 37 29

I say "estimate" because I can't find ROE (reached on error) on a team level. So instead, I found the average number errors per game and gave each team the same rate. The equation i used was:

OOB = H +BB + HBP + CI (catchers interference) + ROE - LOB - GDP - R

So what I am defining as an out on the bases is:

* Out trying to advance

* picked off

* caught stealing

* runner's interference?

I did this quick. See any problems?

Man, those Astros fans must be pissed!

A massive tip of the cap to Russ for doing some research on this subject. I actually started this thread with the hope that Russ would be able to pull something up...lo and behold he came through! Thanks for the help and slight restoration of my sanity!

Archived