Brewer Fanatic

College- Going to Madison!

T B0NE 10

I don't know how they exactly assign the dorms, but from your rankings my guess is that you will end up in Liz Waters. Ogg is very hard to get into your first year since almost everyone puts it first. You might want to be careful though because the way you did it you could end up in one further down on your list. Like I said Ogg is very hard to get into and Liz Waters is the most popular SE dorm, so many people will have one of those first on their lists. If they assign rooms so most people get their top choice and then go on from there you may end up with your fifth or sixth choice. If they do by just picking each person randomly and then going down their list to for the top priority that is still open you should get one of your top 3 or 4. It looks like you prefer SE over Lakeshore. If that is the case I would put all of those first and then Liz Waters just to be safe.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding a roommate. Everyone on my floor when I was in the dorms had a random roommate and there was only one guy who had a problem and even then it wasn't that bad. And, if it becomes a huge problem they let you switch rooms with people or move to a completely different floor/building after a semester. I think they actually use the survey that you send in and try to match people with similar interests. It was unbelievable how well all the roommates got along on my floor.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still pretty unsure of my dorm rankings....

On one hand I really like the location of the SE dorms and they seem like a ton of fun.

But on the other hand, I live way out in the country and it will take me a while to get used to the city so would lakeshore be a better fit? On Sat I was on campus for State FFA Judging and me my friends walked around lakeshore and that seemed pretty cool as well.

But on the other hand, I live way out in the country and it will take me a while to get used to the city so would lakeshore be a better fit?

If that's the case absolutely yes. Lakeshore is a much quieter, more removed part of campus than SE.

That could benefit you in Liz Waters. It's got the relative remoteness of the lakeshore dorms (plus, for some rooms, a lake view) but still a pretty central location.

Plus, it's not a tower, which I would personally consider an asset.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
UW dorms breakdown like this: whichever one you start out at you'll love and never understand how anyone could live in a different one. I lived in the Lakeshore dorms and loved being by picnic point, the lake, and close to most of my classes. Everyone I know that lived in Ogg, Sellery loved it and had no clue why anyone would live in Lakeshore. You won't go wrong either way.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Congrats on getting into Madison, T BONE. I personally don't have the grades to get into there right out of high school (I get about a 3.3 and I got a 22 on the ACT...still deciding whether or not I should re-take it), but hopefully I will do good the first two years at either Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, or Milwaukee (my top 3, right now), and then transfer.

If I go to Fond du Lac, I'm guaranteed a transfer to anywhere in the state after two years. I also live in Fond du Lac, which is why I'm considering there. Oshkosh is close to home, and has the three major sports I like to follow (football, baseball, and basketball). Milwaukee would be by far my favorite, due to the opportunity to work with the Brewers (my dream job, too, is to work with the Packers/Brewers). Also, you can't pass up D-1 hoops and baseball.

I, too, could use some advice on college stuff (planning, what college life is like, campuses, etc.). I'm a junior at Fond du Lac High School (one of the biggest schools in the state - enrollment and sq. ft).

Once again, congrats on making it in to Madison. It should be a great time!

Isn't Liz Waters still an all-girl dorm?

And congrats on the college plans coming together, T BONE. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Liz went coed a couple years ago. Of the older dorms, it probably is the nicest. The rooms seem so much bigger.

TBONE - I work in University Housing at UWM, and my best advice would be to go with a random roommate. You really have just as much chance getting along with him as with some guy you find on facebook. 9 times out of 10 random roommates work out.

Brewdude15 - If you're got questions about UWM that you'd like a staff member's perspective on, let me know.

Congrats on getting into Madison, T BONE. I personally don't have the grades to get into there right out of high school (I get about a 3.3 and I got a 22 on the ACT...still deciding whether or not I should re-take it), but hopefully I will do good the first two years at either Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, or Milwaukee (my top 3, right now), and then transfer.

If I go to Fond du Lac, I'm guaranteed a transfer to anywhere in the state after two years. I also live in Fond du Lac, which is why I'm considering there. Oshkosh is close to home, and has the three major sports I like to follow (football, baseball, and basketball). Milwaukee would be by far my favorite, due to the opportunity to work with the Brewers (my dream job, too, is to work with the Packers/Brewers). Also, you can't pass up D-1 hoops and baseball.

I, too, could use some advice on college stuff (planning, what college life is like, campuses, etc.). I'm a junior at Fond du Lac High School (one of the biggest schools in the state - enrollment and sq. ft).

Once again, congrats on making it in to Madison. It should be a great time!

brewdude, Taking a look back at this huge thread, I was clueless my junior year as to what I was going to do. I'd pick out a bunch of schools you are interested in and go on their websites and request information and reserve visits for the summer. You can do this all online. As to retaking the ACT, If you feel you could do better, I would definitely retake it. Especially if you didn't finish a section because of the time, because thats something you can fix and improve on. Alot of my friends went up around 2 or 3 points the second time they took it.

As for my housing I'm going to probably go random, I haven't had much luck on facebook. I think I'm set on going Ogg as my #1, take my chances there. And Liz Waters as number 2. Then after that I'm undecided between Sellery/Witte and the Lakeshore dorms. Whats the best Lakeshores besides Liz Waters? Kronshage and Schlicter?

Well, I went on a class field trip to tour both UWM and Marquette on Tuesday. I was more impressed with UWM, but I've never really considered Marquette due to the fact that I don't have the grades, nor the money to be admitted. I think I could be a shoe-in at UWM, though. I was most impressed with the hotel-like dorms. I also thought the Union was neat and the Klotschke (sp?) Center was cool.

A couple questions I have are: Does UWM have a sports marketing or management class? Also, is there some sort of special division for sports journalism? Which is the best dorm tower? How do I get around Milwaukee without a car? I'm guessing it's pretty safe around campus? Is it relatively easy to get around?

Thanks in advance to those who can answer these questions. I'll try thinking of more as time passes.

The bus system in Milwaukee is pretty darn good, you get a free bus pass going to UWM.

Around campus is pretty safe, although there have been late night robberies (probably averaging one per month) over the last couple years.

I can't speak on "which dorm is best"-- there really isn't one. A dorm is a dorm, in my opinion.

The Union is nice, the Klotchke center is awesome, if you like to lift/run/work out, especially in the winter time.

As for sports journalism, I'd keep your options open -- its a dying breed these days -- but, you should be able to find most of the information you want here

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

There are basically 2 residence halls for new students at UWM - Sandburg Halls (the towers) and RiverView, which isn't currently on the campus tour. In Sandburg, you really don't have a choice of your tower. Lots of new students choose East (the one with kitchens and AC) but almost all of the spots in that tower go to returning students. North, South, and West are layed out exactly the same - they just have a different height. Over 2700 people live in Sandburg, so it's all hustle and bustle all the time.

RiverView is newer - opened in January 2008. All the rooms are the same (doubles), you have less people to share each bathroom (4), and every suite is individually climate controlled. Also has it's own cafeteria and convenience store. It's about 1.75 miles from campus, but there is a shuttle system that runs at least every 15 minutes during classes, and it takes 7 minutes to get from RiverView to campus. Only 475 people live in RiverView, so you actually have a chance to get to know everyone in your building.

In fall 2010 there will be a new residence hall - Cambridge Commons - directly across the river from RiverView. Same layout, about 700 students, 550 of which will be first years.

More info is on the website: www.universityhousing.uwm.edu

And yes, I work for University Housing, so this is the view of the staff, not someone that's lived there.

Here is the way I went with my rankings......

It says we find out what we get in Late May/June. I went random roommate.

Rank Hall

1 Ogg Hall

2 Elizabeth Waters Hall

3 Sellery Hall

4 Witte Hall

5 Kronshage Hall

6 Slichter Hall

7 Smith Hall

8 Chadbourne Residential College

9 Bradley Learning Community

10 Barnard Hall

11 Adams Hall

12 Sullivan Hall

13 Cole Hall

14 Entrepreneurial Learning Community - Sellery

15 Multicultural Learning Community - Witte

16 International Learning Community - Adams

17 Friedrick Hall

18 Substance Free House - Cole

• 4 weeks later...
Community Moderator
Have fun in Witte! One advantage to the 10th floor is that you should have a good view of either the Kohl Center or Lake Mendota depending on which side of the building you are on. Also remember that if you have any roommate issues or decide you don't like Witte, it is a relatively simple process to change rooms or dorms. Oh, and get hockey tickets.

Both Riverview and the new in 2010 dorm are about a block from my house. I didn't go to UWM, but I can tell you that this neighborhood area seems to get hit with less of the late-night robberies than the campus area. You are on busier North Ave, which I think helps with bus access to places and you're directly across the street from a grocery store, which is nice. I wouldn't be overly worried about the robberies - they happen in every college campus area because there is a proliferation of clueless folks walking around late at night with nice cells phones/iPods/laptops.

You're also within walking distance of the Oakland/North restaurants and bars and Whole Foods as well as the Brady/Farwell area.

Archived