Brewer Fanatic

College- Going to Madison!

T B0NE 10
Do any of the Marquette grads have any advice for prospective students at Marquette? I'll be starting there in August.
I didn't go to Marquette, but another Jesuit school and I have to say that I completely did not understand what being at Jesuit school meant. This is not at all meant as a disparaging Marquette/Loyola/Jesuits/Catholicism. I actually ended up really liking the whole experience and learned a lot and got super involved in service because of Loyola's Jesuit teachings, but to start out on campus as someone who didn't have any experience with it, it was a little overwhelming.

If you're not from a Jesuit HS, I think you'll find it very different to begin with. I went to a public high school and I was completely not prepared for the Jesuit/religion thing to come across so strongly. Maybe that was naive of me. I had never been in a place where so many young people were so strongly religious.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly wasn't like I was getting hit across the head with religion every moment of every day, but the basic Jesuit teachings like Ad Majorem Dei Glorium, education of the whole person, and service come across in pretty much every on-campus activity.

I'm worried that I'm going to turn people off by saying these things, but let me add that I am not highly religious, nor Catholic and I was at school for 4.5 years and never felt uncomfortable. I found the experience so wonderful that I considered joining the Jesuit Volunteer Corps.

But I do wish that I had known these things before I stepped on campus because I found it very off-putting at first.

And the Jesuits are the most liberal of Catholics too.

I loved my time at Marquette and wouldn't change it for anything. I transfered to MU from the University of Arizona and even though the weather change was a shock, the education was fantastic. I majored in Marketing and Finance with a Poli Sci minor and found the education to be top notch. Marquette (as does UW-Madison) has a top 50 undergraduate business program. I liked the smaller class sizes to be helpful and the ability to intern while in school to be great. To me, the smaller school was better than the entire big campus expiernce - minus the weather and woman in Zona.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad I could help. I loved my small school and the emphasis on more than classroom learning. There were times where I hated that it was a small campus and everyone seemed to know one another, but at the same time, it was great knowing everyone, if that makes sense. I could go out and just know there would people friends no matter where I went.

Tomorrow I'm visiting Madison.

Did you happen to be eating at Memorial Union around 1:00 with a Ryan Braun jersey t-shirt on?

If so, sorry I didn't wave. I haven't yet overcome the fear of asking if someone's a poster and getting a blank stare.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Did you happen to be eating at Memorial Union around 1:00 with a Ryan Braun jersey t-shirt on?

If so, sorry I didn't wave. I haven't yet overcome the fear of asking if someone's a poster and getting a blank stare.

Yeah, it was me. How'd you guess? The Brewer jersey do it for you or what? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I really liked Madison, unless Marquette is really awesome, I think it would be hard to not go to Madison if accepted. The draw watching Big Ten athletics is pretty cool. The only thing I'd be even worried about at all is the size and the fact that some of the campus is pretty urban. I live in a very rural area and go to a High School in a town of 2,000, but that isn't that big of a deal for me.

Yeah, it was me. How'd you guess? The Brewer jersey do it for you or what? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well, Brewers gear worn outside the greater Milwaukee area always catches my eye. You had the red folder that gets handed out to Prospective Student Visitors. And I remembered that you said you were visiting Madison today, so I knew there was a chance it was you.

Also, some of us who have been part of the campus community long enough can spot prospective student visitors at a glance, red folder or no. People making the "campus visit" just have this look about them. No offense; it happens to most everyone. Whatever school you do attend, once you're there, you'll be able to spot newbies too.

For what it's worth, during high school I was quite wary of going to a big school, to the point where I started at a very small private college (about 800 students, same as my total high school enrollment). By the end of the first semester, I felt like I had seen all that campus had to offer, and after the first year I transferred to Madison, where I immediately felt at home. The big pond is not without drawbacks, but I liked having the choice of blending in when I wanted to. It's not impossible to stand out if you want to, either. The "urbanness" didn't bother me, though the 1980s were a different time. Trouble is not likely to find you if you act with common sense.

Anyway, if in your excitement to be in the Rathskeller you noticed an early 40s woman with a ball and glove cap, that was me.

I really liked Madison, unless Marquette is really awesome, I think it would be hard to not go to Madison if accepted. The draw watching Big Ten athletics is pretty cool. The only thing I'd be even worried about at all is the size and the fact that some of the campus is pretty urban. I live in a very rural area and go to a High School in a town of 2,000, but that isn't that big of a deal for me.

lol...you think part of Madison's campus is urban?? Marquette is in or at least very near some rougher neighborhoods in Milwaukee and very much in the heart of the city.

I haven't seen Marquette yet, but being urban isn't that big of an issue for me because there is more to the world than the 200 person towns of central Wisconsin. I still love living where I'm at right now, and someday will probably come back to live here. You know what I mean. But I'm really impressed by Madison and can really see myself going there.

I didnt mean to imply you couldnt handle an urban campus, or that one wasnt a good experience, but in the post I quoted you said the only thing you were worried about was school size and that some of the campus is pretty urban. It took that to mean that you would prefer it NOT to be urban, and with Marquette in the middle of the city, it is all urban and even more so than any part of Madison's campus.

If you can get into Madison, it should be a no-brainer.

If you can get into Madison, it should be a no-brainer.

I don't mean to pick on you, but this is the EXACT mentality that I encountered in high school that got me to the point where I loathe everything that has to do with Madison. Sorry to break it to you, but Madison is not the holy grail of education in this state. No school is. It all depends on the individual.

You are correct that UW-Madison is not the be-all and end-all for everyone. I'm thinking that RyDogg was taking T BONE's favorable impression of Madison into account when he wrote the post above. If a prospective student really liked Madison upon visiting it, and later got accepted, it might be a no-brainer to go.

I have Marquette on Friday I'm visiting and then catching a Brewers game after. Once I see Marquette I'll have a good idea of what my plan is going to be. I'm pretty excited to see Marquette too.

As of right now: (Marquette isn't there yet, as I haven't seen it yet)

1. Madison

2. La Crosse and Eau Claire (Too similar to decide between these two, if I had to decide I'd go back for 2nd looks)

For sure I will be visiting Madison again once school is in session, as 40,000 people filling the campus I'm sure will make the campus seem different from the visit I just did.

But from judging from what other members of this site have said and some other people I know at Marquette that I've encountered recently, Marquette should be pretty good as well.

Marquette was pretty nice, even though my tour guide did a crappy job I have to say. But from what we did see, everything was great. The facilities there are great, and the dorms seemed bigger. Even though it was urban and in the city, I almost think Madison felt more urban. Also I'm not that worried that much more financially after I talked to a an admissions counselor, they offer many scholarships. She also said you would know everything with the costs and scholarships you will be getting before you make your decision on where to go, which is great. They have some program, that will be testing in January I think, where you do a test on a subject for scholorships. I will be going to this. And thats when I'll get my second look at Marquette, especially once people are there.

The only thing I have to say that could have been a negative, is that it is close kinda to a rougher part of Milwaukee. It really would be a change for me, since I live in the country and there is like only 2 other houses in mile radius of mine. But I really don't think city life would bother me that much. My dad keeps on saying "this is city, you'd like this". I really don't think it'd bother me, but it would be a change.

So after seeing those 4 colleges, as of right now I'm going to apply to all of them and gonna start doing that pretty soon.

And if I had to rate them, I'd do this, but I'm sure it could change once I get another look once school's in session. Its going to be tough to decide.

1. Madison

2. Marquette

3T. La Crosse and Eau Claire

Bucks (and any of you other high schoolers who have an interest) add me to the list if you have any questions about Marquette. I completed my freshman year this past academic year and loved every minute of it. I'm a marketing and PR double major (for now) in the college of business administration. It's a great place filled with great people, and to echo what tristar said, don't be too put off if you aren't a religious person. I am, but I know many who are not and have never had it be a part of their lives prior to being at Marquette, and none of them had any problems adapting to the environment.

• 1 month later...

Been pretty busy with school and football lately but the latest:

Im pretty much about done with my Madison and Marquette applications now. They say to the Madison one in as soon as possible because it can be so competitive to get in there. My English teacher right now is looking over my essays. I'll get the LAX and EC ones in later.

I think next would be letters of recommendation.

T BONE,

Just to throw another wrench in the mix, but have you considered schools outside of the state? Since you are already considering a private university like Marquette, why not private universities outside the state like Northwestern or Notre Dame. They do not have a difference in tuition between in-staters and out-of-staters.

The best advice I can give you is to enjoy the college experience. I'm not talking about getting hammered every night and then flunking out, but enjoy yourself. This is going to sound horrible, but I did not enjoy college as much as I should have because I met the woman who would go on to be my wife during my first week of college. (We got married between our junior and senior years.) Instead of going to lots of parties and playing the field, I spent all my time with my girlfriend. We are still happily married 10+ years later (until she reads this post), but college could have been a lot better.

Definitely go out for baseball. The baseball team at my school (UW-Superior) got to go on great baseball road trips during spring break to places like New Orleans and Texas. The trip to New Orleans was at the same time as Mardi Gras. You can imagine the time they had once the ball games were over.

I'm somewhat looking at Notre Dame and might just apply just to take a chance. I looked at the info for ND and it would be very tough for me to get in. And I'm not quite sure if I would want to live that far away anyways, but I'm kinda looking into it.

Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to college, especially the college life. Enough of this high school stuff already. I'm trying to avoid senioritis though.

Marquette Grad here ('07). Sounds like you want to work in sports. I didn't read every post, but that was the impression I was left with. I currently work in the sports field and as a recent MU graduate let me give you a few words of advice. As far as money goes, don't let money be the determining factor. It can be a factor, but don't let it be the final decision. I had almost no money to pay for Marquette, but I found ways around it. There are great campus jobs (work for Student Safety Programs). Also, you might want to look at being an RA. I was an RA for 2 1/2 years in one of the dorms and I can say that I saved at least $20,000 in room and board over that time. Since you are a guy, you will have an easier time as well (typically they have a ton more girls apply than guys).

If you like football and baseball, MU will suck as a sports school. I personally don't like basketball and cannot stand soccer so I was in sports hell for four years. As for getting a job, places like the Bucks and the Brewers hired interns year round and if you go to MU, you will just about triple the number of open spots. Internships are key to getting a job with a major sports team. Also, don't worry about the neighborhood, it is not as bad as it looks. Lastly, as a person who works in sports, don't expect to make a ton of money right out of college. If that is what you want, you better be a heck of a salesman or go into a different field.

To everyone that thinks a college degree is not neccessary, you are right. But life is a lot harder without it. "Those who have a bachelor's degree or higher have twice the annual median income than someone with only a high school degree," -The National Center for Education Statistics (2005).

Yeah Im not too sure what I really want to do yet

Some things I've been thinking about

1. Something in the government maybe, politics, government agency maybe

2. Something with a pro sports team. With Packers or Brew Crew would be dream job

3. Be a history teacher and a baseball coach.

4. They say the health field is big and theres money there so thats an option

And with Marquette, if I go there I will try out for the club baseball team. Otherwise yeah I like to watch basketball and being in Milwaukee, there is the Brewers.

Otherwise what do you guys think? I have a 3.65 GPA, 28 ACT. I'm in quite a bit of organizations. Baseball, Football. FFA Officer 3 years. Will I get into Madison?

if Madison's your first choice yet you don't get in, don't worry about it. do fine your freshman year and the transfer process is supposed to be pretty smooth. they just want to know that you won't be one who flunks out.

a big mistake i made in college was thinking i had to decide on a major when i first got there, and that was a waste of about 60 credits.

if Madison's your first choice yet you don't get in, don't worry about it. do fine your freshman year and the transfer process is supposed to be pretty smooth. they just want to know that you won't be one who flunks out.

a big mistake i made in college was thinking i had to decide on a major when i first got there, and that was a waste of about 60 credits.

Exactly, this is one of the best methods for entering colleges. I made the mistake of procrastinating with my applications and got my application in after La Crosse had closed admissions. So, they simply accepted me and coordinated the transfer after the first semester. I attended UWM for a semester and then headed up. Many many students drop out after one semester. It was painless, they made sure any and all credits were valid. Many people do that with Madison as well. One of the benefits of having such a strong and coordinated state system.

Archived