Brewer Fanatic

if out of contention by the trade deadline, would Brewer brass deal Sheets?

Let's say the Brewers are 10+ games by the trade deadline. With all the talk of making a run for it this year, would management throw in the towel and actually deal their ace, knowing they won't likely re-sign him? He could definitely help put a contender "over the hump" and his salary is favorable so you have to think he could pull in a good prospect arm in return.

But I don't know if management would have the guts to make this move. They sold their fanbase on winning now, and this would signal an end to this season, and yet another year of promises ahead to the future. Also, I would think the common fan would think this is another indicator of "same old Brewers, giving away their best pitcher". Would they run the risk of alienating the common fan to do what's best for the franchise's health?

If the package is better than 2 draft picks & Sheets isn't interested in re-upping then most definitely you make the deal, draft picks are a crap shoot and teams will be drooling for a #1 starter, now Ben's health will play a factor, where have we heard that before http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It is not just a matter of next year for Ben, it will be at a minimum a three year deal, probably closer to 5. The Brewers are not in a huge market, so to give a starter who has had injury problem's a long term deal is very risky.

If we are out of it, I am sure the Brewers will talk to Ben about what kind of contract he is expecting If the Brewers can not work something out, and another team is offering us a nice deal, I think you have to do it.

They will get 2 picks for him, but if someone offers them 2 AAA guys, you bet they do the trade.

A better question would be, why wouldn't they? The money being thrown around for Sheets is huge, 3y/$55M. He's not signing for a year to be polite.

they wouldnt because a lot of fans see him as the brightest spot on a poor pitching staff and thus equate our commitment to success to him. It also signals they will throw in the towel on their season.

they arent in the same position as they were with Sexson. They have regained the fanbase and have a new owner who has demonstrated to the casual fans a strong commitment to retaining top talent.

and you can't alienate the fanbase.

You'd only be doing this for the rest of the year though. Once the players received contribute and the team starts winning again, the casuals will be back. I'm sure if we trade Sheets, it means we have no shot at resigning him.

Actually no, you'd be likely doing it for teh whole next season. Attendance tends to lag a year. If you end up with a 70 win team because you trade Sheets (and Cameron and Mota and Souse)in July you'll have a bad April through June next season at least.

Community Moderator
I think fans were more angry back in 1999 when they hung on to Nomo and Nilsson to "not give up on the season" when we all knew they were not coming back to Milwaukee than when they traded Lee for Cordero. If the Brewers are 8-10 games back at the end of July and the Brewers hang on to Sheets for the rest of the year to "not give up" and he walks at the end of the year, I'd imagine the fan reaction will be the same.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Considering the haul we paid for Linebrink, what does that make the market on Sheets? And how many teams have a package like that. Would the Angels give up Adenhart, Wood, Conger for Sheets?? Doubtful, and that's the problem.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Exactly my point. I was trying to point out that if Linebrink is worth "10", then Sheets is worth "20". And I think it might be hard to get his worth in a package deal, considering what we had to give up to get a middle reliever last season.

Sheets is going to be the top player on the market, if he is on the market.

How much do teams get for rentals?

Not much anymore. Remember a few years back Washington didn't even trade Soriano because they didn't get any good offers? Two high draft picks in the hands of Jack Z might be better than most of the offers we receive.

I would say if they are out of it, Sheets can net them 2 top prospects, one would have to be a SP. Team gave up 3 arms for Linebrink and none of those 3 have yet to make an impact for the Padres.Going rate will depend who thinks they are still in the race.

If you start making moves depending on what your fans think, you're one small step away from rightfully losing your job. Sheets is worth what you can get for him, but I'd say the bidding starts at 2 very good prospects, as that's what the draft picks are. And I'm not talking about a loogy like Thatcher, I mean two true top tier guys, say Escobar and Laporta.

assuming Sheets is a Type A FA, he already is worth at least 2 top draft picks,

Remember that this could be a #1 and a sammy, or a sammy and a #2 -- depending on how good/bad the team signing Sheets is this last year (bad teams have their #1 protected)

I would rather the Brewers be sellers with Sheets, and punt on 2008, than do something crazy with our prospects and go buy a rental in a desperation attempt to get back in the race.

I did some checking, and the last starting pitcher that was close to the level of Sheets that was traded at/near the deadline was Bartolo Colon in 2002. The Indians got Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Brandon Phillips from Montreal. In 2003, the Red Sox gave up Freddy Sanchez and Mike Gonzalez for Jeff Suppan.

Most of the starters traded are on the level of the names that have been tossed about for this season (Randy Wolf, Tim Redding, etc.). Unless someone is thrown out there that we're not expecting, Sheets would be THE big name starter available.

Archived