Brewer Fanatic

Russell "3TO" Branyan called up Gwynn sent down!

Kurt
Im saying he is frustrating because he is hitting .246 since last year.

First, you are still using the wrong tools to try and measure offensive value. Second, he's had a total of 163 AB last year and has been great over a palty 13 AB this year. Let's not try and spin that and act like he's been bad for 2 years now!

Let's be objective. His 2008 Marcel projection (only uses 2005 to 2007 stats):

.237 / .336 / .452 / .788

That projection is based off a mostly AB where Branyan had the platoon advantage, so no need to adjust it to his current role. Petco Park might hurt that projection a bit as well but that's probably nitpicking. SO, let's just call that his expected performance for this year in a platoon. Is that great? Nope. Is it terrible? Nope, although you would conclude that it is, if you only looked at BA. The average NL 3B hit a little better than that in 2007 (which includes backups), so to expect even average performance from Branyan this year is probably pushing it.

The only real measuring stick should be against this, though: Is it better than Hall's expected performance against RH pitchers? Unfortunately, the answer is, probably.

Ok first of all, I know batting avg. is not the "best" way to judge a player. So please don't talk down to me. 2nd, His OBP last year was sparkling.... .315. This year it is .296. He flat out is not getting it done. The only real argument you could make is that Hall once in a while hits for power, If he walked more it would be ok, but he doesn't. The sad part about this whole argument is that Hall coming into last year was our clean up hitter.

EDIT: Im also in no way saying Russell is the answer, I think everyone expected alot more from Hall. We can all agree on that

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My biggest concern with Hall isn't so much in the present as the future. He's paid a tolerable amount for mediocre production now, but it's gonna be $6.8MM next year and $8.4MM in 2010. If he can't rebound, that's a lot of money for a guy with an OPS in the .700's unless he's an OBP-heavy gold glover.

This is unhealthy. Besides, a strikeout is not neccessarily a true outcome. The catcher needs to hold on to strike 3 or throw to 1B for the out. Strikeout should be replaced with ground rule double to have a true, 3TO. But I understand that would mess with all the number worshiping going on here.

Verified Member
I'm a stats guy but one reason I love 3TO (besides his amazing 3TO avg.) is the entertainment value watching him.... and with that monster shot today, I'm reminded why I like the guy so much.

Sure would have been nice to actually see where that one landed today.

Nice work by FSN yet again.

It's a conspiracy by FSN to further the legend that is Russell Branyan.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Branyan has been great so far with his bat....But what is being under appreciated is his glove. He has been outstanding at third.

No doubt, I remember his first go around with the Brewers I had no idea he was that good with the glove. He makes all the routine plays and makes some fantastic ones as well.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

As cool as it will be to see Doug Davis pitch when I go to the game tomorrow, I'm a little disappointed I won't see Branyan start. Maybe he'll get a late PH appearance.

Haha in theory DD pitching is very cool but actually watching him pitch is not as cool, if its anything like his Brewers days.

Branyan has such a pretty and effortless swing, it's somewhat surprising to me that he strikes out so much. Granted, part of the reason for that is all the pitches he takes, but just to the naked eye, he looks like he would hit for better averages.

That bomb he hit to left today shows just how much power he has because it didn't even look like he swung very hard, yet he hit the ball nearly 400 feet the other way. It's going to take a terrible slump by Branyan to justify not keeping a strict platoon at third, regardless if Hall likes it or not.

Branyan has such a pretty and effortless swing, it's somewhat surprising to me that he strikes out so much. Granted, part of the reason for that is all the pitches he takes, but just to the naked eye, he looks like he would hit for better averages.

It's so funny to me that you posted this tonight. I just had a lengthy conversation during today's game about how 'quiet'/effortless his swing is. I also agree that, at this point, the starts v. RHP are Russell's to lose.

The addition of Branyan to the big club makes me think of all the discussion this offseason about whether or not the team had 'enough' power, and the response that 'you can never have enough power.' He's been an absolute joy to watch so far, and as mentioned, every bit as much on D.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I also agree that, at this point, the starts v. RHP are Russell's to lose.

The interesting thing to see is what Yost does once Branyan likely goes into one of his slumps where his batting average plummets and the strikeouts rack up in huge bunches during that slump. Branyan is a career .229 hitter and i do wonder how Ned will react when/if Russell follows his career trend? Yea, even while in a pretty deep slump, Branyan likely will draw some walks and hit a few bombs, but history has shown that those are the times when managers/teams have then given up on him which then lead to either a severe reduction in playing time or his release.

Obviously the best case would be that Branyan has somehow bucked the odds and matured as a hitter this late in his career, thus he doesn't plummet into that .220ish or lower batting average range so that Ned doesn't have to make a decision, but the odds are probably against that.

Archived