Brewer Fanatic

Russell "3TO" Branyan called up Gwynn sent down!

Kurt
I'll just take your word for it. So he plays 3B? Where does that put Hall? on the bench?

Or will Branyan be strictly a PH?

Hall starts vs LHP, Branyan starts vs RHP. It's a platoon, and it's well overdue.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll just take your word for it. So he plays 3B? Where does that put Hall? on the bench?

Or will Branyan be strictly a PH?

Hall starts vs LHP, Branyan starts vs RHP. It's a platoon, and it's well overdue.

Okay, I got it now, just realized how bad Hall is vs RHP and how good he is vs the LHP

I hope this gets us going

I haven't posted at Brewerfan.net in about eight months, but I had to register my delight at the return of 3TO.

...Then the clouds parted and all fell to the ground in fear. Lo! From the sky the voice of Melvin spoke, "I return to you 3TO." And all the people rose in thanks as the Muscle returned once more.

Ahh, the Russell Branyan honeymoon thread. Welcome back, Muscle.

I suppose Dave Bush isn't going to relinquish number 31, so we'll have to get used to you wearing another uni number.

1992casey beat me to the suggestion to bring back the 3TO shirts, so instead I'll publicly ask mothershipconnection to bring back the Oakley shades avatar.

http://www.mlb.com/images/2005/04/06/dL9ogG5m.jpg

Look closely at Russell's face! He's got them on!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Get your t-shirt on!

http://images.cafepress.com/product/131436058v1_240x240_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

Also...Hurricane: Here's a quick read on 3TO. Its dated, 2003, but applicable.. "In short, the Three True Outcomes are plate appearances that end with events that do not involve the fielders: the home run, the walk, and the strikeout" http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2518

This deserves a haiku.

Russell The Muscle

Lefty power bat, baseballs

Obliterated

Washington baseballs

Are quivering in fear; a

Plane lands at Dulles

Oh come on... they should be flying him in to Reagan.

Verified Member

I went ahead and updated the stats from that article up unto the start of the 2008 season.

Branyan is the all-time champion of the 3TO!! So this means, that 53.4% of his 1868 carrer at bats have either been a home run, a walk or a strike out. Amazing. I have faith in The Branyan.

PA HR BB SO 3TO% 

<span class="playerdef">Russell Branyan<span style=""> </span>1998-<span style=""> </span>1868<span style=""> </span>121<span style=""> </span>262<span style=""> </span>755<span style=""> </span><span style="font-weight: bold;">53.4</span></span><span style="font-weight: bold;">%</span> 

<span class="playerdef">Dave Nicholson</span><span style=""> </span>1960-67<span style=""> </span>1419<span style=""> </span>61<span style=""> </span>219<span style=""> </span>573<span style=""> </span>52.1% 

Ryan Howard<span style=""> </span>2004-<span style=""> </span>50.9% 

<span class="playerdef">Melvin Nieves</span><span style=""> </span>1992-98<span style=""> </span>1228<span style=""> </span>63<span style=""> </span>136<span style=""> </span>483<span style=""> </span>50.0% 

Rob Deer<span style=""> </span>1984-96<span style=""> </span>3881<span style=""> </span>230<span style=""> </span>575<span style=""> </span>1409<span style=""> </span>49.7% 

Adam Dunn<span style=""> </span><span style=""> </span>2001-<span style=""> </span>49.7% 

<span class="playerdef">Jim Thome</span><span style=""> </span>1991-<span style=""> </span>6841<span style=""> </span>507<span style=""> </span>1459<span style=""> </span>2043<span style=""> </span>48.3% 

Mark McGwire<span style=""> </span>1986-01<span style=""> </span>6187<span style=""> </span>583<span style=""> </span>1317<span style=""> </span>1596<span style=""> </span>46.5% 

<span class="playerdef">Bo Jackson</span><span style=""> </span><span style=""> </span>1986-94<span style=""> </span>2393<span style=""> </span>141<span style=""> </span>200<span style=""> </span>841<span style=""> </span>45.6% 

<span class="playerdef">Mickey Tettleton</span><span style=""> </span>1984-97<span style=""> </span>4698<span style=""> </span>245<span style=""> </span>949<span style=""> </span>1307<span style=""> </span>44.3% 

<span class="playerdef">Sam Horn</span><span style=""> </span><span style=""> </span>1987-95<span style=""> </span>1040<span style=""> </span>62<span style=""> </span>132<span style=""> </span>323<span style=""> </span>44.1% 

<span class="playerdef">Jay Buhner</span><span style=""> </span>1987-01<span style=""> </span>5013<span style=""> </span>310<span style=""> </span>792<span style=""> </span>1406<span style=""> </span>43.2% 

<span class="playerdef">Gorman Thomas</span><span style=""> </span>1973-86<span style=""> </span>4677<span style=""> </span>268<span style=""> </span>697<span style=""> </span>1339<span style=""> </span>42.9% 

(added headings to chart --1992)

Washington baseballs

Are quivering in fear; a

Plane lands at Dulles

Oh come on... they should be flying him in to Reagan.

Russell will send word of his arrival with a message-wielding carrier pigeon bludgeoned toward the team hotel with a magnificent hickory bat.

Who's Russell Branyan?

This is from the article thablingster linked. I was at that "first start for the Brewers last July":

Determined not to let this chance slip away, Branyan put on a show for the ages Monday before an enthusiastic, sold-out audience of 42,458 at the Brewers' home opener at Miller Park. He belted not one but two, two-run homers, providing most of the electricity in a 6-2 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The first of Branyan's home runs was right out of "The Natural," a mind-boggling blast off right-hander Kip Wells in the second inning that struck the jumbo video board in straightaway center, coming remarkably close to his name in the No. 7 spot on the digitally displayed lineup.

The moon shot was estimated at 465 feet, not quite as far as the Miller Park-record 480-footer off Chicago's Greg Maddux in Branyan's first start for the Brewers last July.

Afterward, Branyan was asked what it felt like for the ball to come off that bat so solidly.

"When you've got full extension out front, it's just a really sweet feeling," he said. "I guess that's where they came up with the name 'the sweet spot' on the bat. It feels like the ball and the bat are just one.

"I can't explain any other better moment in the game than making contact like that, seeing the ball fly."

Russell... bat & ball one-ness... welcome back to the Brewers!

The Muscle returns

Milwaukee cheers once again

bat and ball are one

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is outstanding news! It probably should have happened about a week ago but beggers can't be chosers. I think the only other thread headline I would cheer for more would be "Yost Fired". Looking forward to seeing Russ in the lineup tomorrow.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived