Brewer Fanatic

Russell "3TO" Branyan called up Gwynn sent down!

Kurt
I like how the 'most knowledgeable of gurus' neglects to mention the staggering numbers Branyan posted at Nashville. Who could've seen success coming in the bigs after putting up a measley OPS of 1.146 at Triple-A? Nope! He just ate some punny cereal and *poof!* mash-time!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to get stronger after eating Corn Flakes when I was a kid. At least that's what my mom said when she told me to go out and help on the farm.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Cause for concern that he'll return to an .800+ OPS? JB, you puzzle me about Branyan.

I guess the 30 major league GM's that didn't give him a job this spring must puzzle you too and I'm not all that impressed with an .800 OPS when he's never been more than a platoon player. He had an incredible 3-4 weeks. But he's now 2 for his last 26 facing virtually all right handed pitching.

On balance to this point, he's been definitely a plus, but his history suggests that his slumps are lengthy. That's why so many teams have given up on him.

Branyan's offensive value is tied to his walks and HR's. I doubt he get's into walk slumps more than any other player. But because HRs are a relatively scarse event, it has a greater chance of randomly bunching than a slap-happy singles hitter. As a result, the offensive value from game to game is going to be more uneven. And to that I say, who cares? If Branyan hits a HR in four consecutive games then doesn't hit one for 2 weeks, how does that win less games?

If someone can answer that question, I might be more apt to not dismiss someone when they complain of a player being streaky. In terms of wins and losses, I think it matters little.

If someone can answer that question, I might be more apt to not dismiss someone when they complain of a player being streaky. In terms of wins and losses, I think it matters little.
As long as you have the offensive firepower to hide a streaky player's bat in a lineup when he's not on one of his good streaks, then a guy like Branyan can struggle here and there and it doesn't hurt the team because when he goes on that tear, he's going to win some games for you. If Branyan was our cleanup hitter, I'd have an issue with the streakyness, but because his role is to bat towards the bottom of the lineup and only play against RHP, he's doing fine.

I was talking about having 10 good games in a row followed by 10 bad games, instead of mixing the good and bad ones up. As for the streakiness you are talking about, I don't even see the big deal with that. Have a mediocre game every day vs being great half the time and bad the other? I doubt it has any meaningful effect on total wins. It just annoys the fans because they lose faith in a player if he has a bad week.

I guess the 30 major league GM's that didn't give him a job this spring must puzzle you too and I'm not all that impressed with an .800 OPS when he's never been more than a platoon player.

Yes, it puzzles me that the Brewers were (at most) one of a handful of organizations that did their scouting homework correctly (heck, J.P. Ricciardi sez Adam Dunn stinks!) instead of basing personnel decisions on things like, 'He's a platoon player'. Yes, he is, and one that destroys RHP, which is the vast majority of plate appearances. Oh yeah, and good defense at the hot corner. But aside from that, he's just useless.

And to that I say, who cares? If Branyan hits a HR in four consecutive games then doesn't hit one for 2 weeks, how does that win less games?

Exactly. But, he strikes out, so...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived