Brewer Fanatic

Russell "3TO" Branyan called up Gwynn sent down!

Kurt

I also think some of Branyan's resurrection is that he was probably given a nice big piece of humble pie when no team offered him a contract in Spring Training except for us. And ours was a minor league deal, at that.

Thus, he also probably had a little heart-to-heart with himself about how this is probably his last chance in the game and he better buckle down, focus, and play ball for his last chance at the big leagues. It also helps that he obviously made some adjustments with his stance at the plate. But don't discredit the psychology in this, either.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also think some of Branyan's resurrection is that he was probably given a nice big piece of humble pie when no team offered him a contract in Spring Training except for us. And ours was a minor league deal, at that.

Thus, he also probably had a little heart-to-heart with himself about how this is probably his last chance in the game and he better buckle down, focus, and play ball for his last chance at the big leagues. It also helps that he obviously made some adjustments with his stance at the plate. But don't discredit the psychology in this, either.

No offense, but I'm not sold on your "humble pie" theory considering the Brewers plucked him out of AAA in July of 2004 and then unceremoniously released him after his best season the next year. He was reduced to signing with Tampa for the minimum. Then, last year, he was released or traded for cash 3 times.

Russ has never been some golden boy with an assured starting spot. He's always been a platoon or bench guy who has had a tenuous grip on a MLB spot. I think it's unfair to Russ to characterize him as being too arrogant, cavalier and uncaring in the past.

ok, he's got no chance as a write in...

but the all-star team needs a backup behind chipper...it's possible that if russs hits another 5-7 bombs, he could make the all-star team as a bench player...completely insane, but possible..

In an effort to instill an even playing field and prevent every hitting record since the beginning of time being shattered, MLB commissioner Bud Selig announced today that Russell Branyan is no longer allowed to face right-handed pitching.

"We just can't afford to be giving out free baseballs like this every time 'The Muscle' steps to the plate", Selig quipped. "I mean, holy hell, someone's liable to get killed by one of those moonshots".

When asked if this rule would be applied to other players league-wide, Selig retorted, "not until another guy is on pace for 1,278 HR's and a 5.189 OPS and 78 wounded souls".

On a related note, the Brewers also announced that fellow 3B platoon partner Bill Hall will no longer be allowed to face any pitching whatsoever, citing, "lack of ability, overvalued sense of self, and bad agent advice" as the primary factors.

Branyan needs to make the all-star team so we can see him participate in just ONE HR derby....

He'd probably set the record for pitches taken and whiffs as well.

It's easy to say that in hindsight. I mean you look at his career numbers and they don't exactly scream 'savior'.

But his muscles do. If I ever have grandchildren, I will flat-out fabricate Branyan stories, like the time he played first and third base at the same time in a game where he hit 6 grand slams - each of which broke the seat it hit. I will then hold up a jagged piece of broken plastic and tell the kids I was at the game and that splinter of the seat flew off and stabbed me in the neck, though I couldn't leave and stayed to watch the rest of the game.

You might want to mention that his next AB shattered a bat, of which a piece flew through the air, hitting you in the same spot, thus stemming all bleeding and allowing you to watch the rest of his magnificence!

Branyan is becoming the definition of catching lightning in a bottle. After 10 seasons with 7 different teams where the most he could muster were brief displays of what is awesome power followed by longer periods of excruciating inability to make contact, somehow at age 32 he seems to have put it together. I certainly didn't see it coming, but boy I am impressed.

Welcome, faithful brother! Guess that .800 OPS thing wasn't so crazy after all.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No offense, but I'm not sold on your "humble pie" theory considering the Brewers plucked him out of AAA in July of 2004 and then unceremoniously released him after his best season the next year. He was reduced to signing with Tampa for the minimum. Then, last year, he was released or traded for cash 3 times.

Russ has never been some golden boy with an assured starting spot. He's always been a platoon or bench guy who has had a tenuous grip on a MLB spot. I think it's unfair to Russ to characterize him as being too arrogant, cavalier and uncaring in the past.

Branyan had a quote a few years ago, referring to some Reds fans that were yelling at him and calling him overrated: "I didn't even know I was rated. How can I be overrated? I couldn't get a job this off-season. Now I'm overrated."

He hit 2 dingers in that game, BTW.

I'LL tell you why Big Russ isn't perfect. His swing is too easy, too smooth. For him to embody the true spirit of 3TO, his strikeouts should all come with brutal, violent hacks that shake the centerfield camera with a mighty gust of wind.

They actually had a nice feature on Russell Branyan on Baseball Tonight last night, and Eduardo Perez credited Branyan's success this season to changing his batting stance to be more open (he practically looks like Luis Gonzalez standing in there now it's so open). They did a split-screen of him hitting a home run for Tampa Bay a few years ago and him hitting a home run in Milwaukee this year. In Tampa, he was in an extremely closed stance and was practically diving over the plate during his swing, using one of his old school violent hacks. Then they showed a home run of his from this year with his open stance, where he stayed back on a pitch and effortlessly flicked it 450 feet. They spent a good 5 minutes or so on Branyan alone.

Even ESPN is catching on to the Power of 3TO.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

He was Cleveland's #1 Prospect ranked by Baseball America in 1999

A Sporting News article from 2001

The book on … Russell Branyan - evaluation of Cleveland Indians third baseman - Brief Article

Sporting News, The, May 14, 2001 by Jared Hoffman

In recent seasons, teams trying to make trading deadline deals with the Indians were turned away when they asked for third base prospect Russell Branyan.

The Indians got burned when they traded prospects Brian Giles and Jeromy Burnitz, who both have gone on and hit at least 38 homers in a season. The Indians believe Branyan has even more power.

Branyan's batting practice sessions in the minors were McGwire-like sideshows, routinely including 500-foot blasts. But Branyan, a 6-3, 195-pound Georgian, is no 5 o'clock hitter. In the minors, he homered once every 12.6 at-bats. In a call-up with Cleveland last season, Branyan slugged 16 homers in 67 games. In two exhibition games in Venezuela this spring, he hit two balls out of the stadium that together were estimated to travel more than 1,000 feet.

The only thing Branyan does at a faster rate than homer is strike out. In 1999 and 2000, at Class AAA Buffalo and Cleveland, Branyan struck out 375 times--44 percent of his at-bats. The Indians have been trying to get Branyan to cut down on his swing but hope he won't sacrifice power. In fact, Branyan hasn't lost his power: Entering the week, he was second on the team in homers with seven and third in RBIs with 21. However, he isn't making much contact. He was hitting .226 with 35 strikeouts in 93 at-bats.

Branyan was guaranteed a spot on the major league rooster this season because he was out of minor league options. Indians manager Charlie Manuel was hoping to pick the right spots for Branyan to get him about 300 at-bats. But when Travis Fryman went on the disabled list, Branyan was pressed into full-time duty at third.

Branyan understands the importance of getting on base and surprised everyone--including his own manager--when he bunted safely for a hit last week.

Branyan's offensive struggles may be hurting his defense. Through 22 games at third, he had made five errors. He has looked indecisive, and most of his errors came on throws.

When Fryman returns from the D.L. in early June, Branyan's playing time will be scaled back, but the Indians still believe his future is as a full-time player, possibly an outfielder, with 40-plus homers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think he hit 40 home runs at age 20 in low A ball.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

1996 (age 20) Columbus (A-): .268/.355/.575/.930

482 AB, 129 H, 20 2B, 40 HR, 62 BB, 166 SO

--perhaps only fading in comparison to--

1999 (age 23) Buffalo (AAA): .208/.305/.468/.773

395, 82 H, 11 2B, 30 HR, 52 BB, 187 SO

Now that's a 3TO season!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have been a Branyan fan since the first go around with us. His sweet swing, and the anticipation of him hitting a ball 450ft at any moment just adds so much excitement to an at bat. I'm very pleased to see him doing so well

"1996 (age 20) Columbus (A-): .268/.355/.575/.930

482 AB, 129 H, 20 2B, 40 HR, 62 BB, 166 SO "

I personally witnessed him walk across the chattahoochee river a few times...just below the bridge...

Ned Yost: "Just cuz a guy is the hottest hitter in baseball doesn't mean you play him...Bill Hall hasn't homered in a month...he's due. You fan/media types really don't know anything about baseball."

An aside...Right now Bill Hall = ten pounds of crap in a five pound sack.

Ned Yost: "Just cuz a guy is the hottest hitter in baseball doesn't mean you play him...Bill Hall hasn't homered in a month...he's due. You fan/media types really don't know anything about baseball."

An aside...Right now Bill Hall = ten pounds of crap in a five pound sack.

Juuust to be sure, that's a fake quote right?

Archived