Brewer Fanatic

Russell "3TO" Branyan called up Gwynn sent down!

Kurt

At this pace, 3TO will hit 52 home runs in 342 ABs.

I would like to see him pick up the pace a little and end the year in the 55-60 HR range and win the NL MVP.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully the change in batting stance is playing a real role in his hitting and it's not just some hot streak with a huge slump right around the corner.

I was thinking about that too, and when you consider how he was raking in AAA before he was called up, he's been completely mashing the ball for almost 3 straight months. That's a pretty long time to just write it off as a "hot streak". As others have said, he probably can't keep this up, but he could suffer a significant return to earth, and still be a very productive hitter.

One thing i'm curious about is say Branyan hits very well the whole rest of the season, would the team look at him in their plans for next year?

I hope so. He's only 32. They could probably lock him up for next year pretty cheap right now, if they wanted to (after all the bouncing around, he might be interested in some stability?). If need be, he could continue to serve as a great platoon option at 3B. At worst, he is an insurance policy like he was to start this year. I really don't see much to lose by trying to sign him for next year.

It's easy to say that in hindsight. I mean you look at his career numbers and they don't exactly scream 'savior'.

As TLB said, this isn't hindsight. I wanted Branyan up the second Gross was traded. You can't go as long as we did with no power bat off the bench. Having Gwynn DH in Boston was just abysmal, especially when his main asset is defense.

With Kapler able to play a fine outfield and Cameron back anyways Gwynn's defense really served no purpose and his bat is just too weak to keep on the team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The only thing that's easy to see with Branyan is that he's been undervalued by most baseball minds his entire career because of his low batting avg. and high strikeout rates. Batting average is one of the least useful indicators of offensive ability, and "productive outs" are one of the most overrated "intangibles" there could possibly be.

The fact of the matter is that he's got a career OPS over .800, with platoon splits that really aren't all that terrible. The fact that the guy has been unable to stick on a major league roster, let alone never get a starting job just shows how much most baseball minds still rely on "old school" statistics to make their personnel decisions.

Just ran a couple of quick numbers trying to parse the Muscle's hot streak. It's all power. The thing that sticks out is his batting average, but just looking at his major league ABs this year even if you assume all of his 5 singles were lucky bloop hits and rerun his OBP and SLG he still has a .333 OBP and is SLG over .700. His K rate is very close to his career rate (he is slightly under, but if you give him just one more K he'd be over so he's essentially right there). His walk rate is up somewhat right now, but that's not driving a lot of his numbers. He is seemingly just finding away to make frightening contact.

danzig6767 wrote:

One thing i'm curious about is say Branyan hits very well the whole rest of the season, would the team look at him in their plans for next year?

I would hope they would if he continues to produce. Especially if they Matt Gamel is not ready for 3B.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Something seems very familiar about this whole scenario. The Brewers bring up a third baseman from AAA in late May and he proceeds to go on an absolute tear the first month he is up, putting up "video game" numbers. Where have I seen this before?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Right, and I'm not disputing that fact. I wanted him called up too but I don't think anyone thought he was capable of doing what he's done so far. I'm getting the impression that people knew he would be an offensive dynamo. If I'm mistaken about that I apologize.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't think anyone thought he was capable of doing what he's done so far. I'm getting the impression that people knew he would be an offensive dynamo.

No, I think you are right -- I think people are going goofy with the nightly 450 ft bombs -- I just think people wanted a better option off the bench, and given Hall's struggles a replacement for him.

Having Russ up sooner would have been nice, but this has worked out nicely for him. If he had been up already and gone 1-10 pinch hitting, maybe they keep Bill at 3rd for awhile longer rather than give Russ regular PT. As it is, he's getting most of the PT at 3rd. I dunno, maybe Ned wouldn't have let 10 ABs influence him... Either way, DHing Gwynn was inexplicable. Might as well have used Manny Parra.

I haven't been "taking notes" myself, but I've seen reports saying that yes, Billy does celebrate Russ' homers. It shouldn't be any other way, of course.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The night that he tied the game in the bottom of the ninth, Billy was the first one out of the dugout. Billy seems to be the biggest cheerleader on the team no matter how he feels.

Definitely not the case. Trenni was on the radio yesterday morning with Doug and Wickett, and she said he is definitely not a leader or go to guy any more. His mood is much more somber than what it was (with good reason mind you).

People really need to stop booing Bill everytime he goes up to hit.

I'm not a fan of booing your team really, but I dont' feel bad when it happens to Hall. If you don't want to be here, good riddance. I'm sure there's plenty of guys who could do what he's doing this year with out all the drama Hall has brought into it. If you are going to come out and ask for a trade, then all is fair.

The night that he tied the game in the bottom of the ninth, Billy was the first one out of the dugout. Billy seems to be the biggest cheerleader on the team

no matter how he feels.

I'll second that report. I definitely took note that Billy was not only one of the first, if not the first, one out of the dugout, but he was fired up.

Also, regarding the term "video game numbers": am I the only one who strove for realistic results when playing video baseball games? If a game was too easy, I'd handicap myself to bring my numbers down, i.e. always take 2 strikes, etc. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Lastly, I'll one up all the Russell supporters - I've been a fan of his since forever, and I was beyond thrilled when I heard we'd signed him before the '04 season. He averaged around an .860 OPS in 360 AB for those two years with us. He used to do that everywhere he went - what's a guy gotta do to earn a starting job? Anyway, I think I deserve some award. Okay thanks.

Edit after reading brewcrew00's response: Both reports are certainly believable and understandable - that while he's somber in the clubhouse, he's still a cheerleader in the dugout.

It's easy to say that in hindsight.
Just want to say that in the first page of this thread (right when news of Branyan's callup just broke), I had said that Branyan should've been called up earlier. I wanted Branyan called up earlier because we were in desperate need of another power lefty bat back then.

Definitely not the case. Trenni was on the radio yesterday morning with Doug and Wickett, and she said he is definitely not a leader or go to guy any more. His mood is much more somber than what it was (with good reason mind you).

I should clarify, there is a difference between being a cheerleader and a leader. While Billy may be more somber and not happy, that doesn't get in the way of his excitement that he shows towards his team mates when they do something good.

Wanted to check the exact stats on AB/HR/RBI/H so I went to his Brewers page.

His middle name is OLES!

Also, this is the first paragraph of his Wikipedia page

Russell Oles Branyan (born December 19, 1975 in Warner Robins, Georgia) is a Major League Baseball player for the Milwaukee Brewers. He throws right-handed, bats left-handed, and primarily plays at third base, but is also capable of playing first base and the outfield. He does not typically hit for a high batting average and draws a large amount of strikeouts. However, he compensates by drawing more walks and hitting more home runs than the average player. In fact, he has tremendous power and could hit over 30 homers in a full season, but his inconsistencies have cost him starting jobs. Branyan has been given the nickname 3TO, which stands for three true outcomes, by some groups of fans for his propensity to either draw a walk, strikeout, or hit a home run. He's also regularly referred to as Russell "The Muscle" Branyan.

The fact that the guy has been unable to stick on a major league roster, let alone never get a starting job just shows how much most baseball minds still rely on "old school" statistics to make their personnel decisions.

Very well-said. Let us never again have to listen to someone say, 'Well, if he were good, he'd have caught on somewhere by now.' The Ricciardi--Dunn thread seems to have relevance here.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived