Brewer Fanatic

Russell "3TO" Branyan called up Gwynn sent down!

Kurt

NUMBER 8!!!!!! Seriously, 8 homers in 55 AB? I'll now invoke the term "video game numbers".

...Good point here. From the now-disbanded anti-3TO camp I'll offer up that this prodigious display could not have been envisioned by the now reformed non-believers.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The crazy thing about that 2004 recap that pepsimax posted is that even ESPN (or the AP, whoever wrote the article) spelled Russ's name wrong. They went with the much maligned "Branyon" spelling.

who else was at the 8/18/04 cubs vs brewers game where 3TO his a majestic blast in the bottom of the 8th only to have the brewers lose in the 11th (sound familiar?). 3TO was true to form: 2Ks, 2HRs - then in the bottom of the 11th he lead off the inning with a bunt single. (game was won in the top of the 11th for the cubs with a 2-run HR by corey patterson)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240818108

edit: oops the game was in 2004, not 2005.

The greatest loss I've ever attended. I still keep the ticket stub.

OK, so I've been in attendance for each home game that Branyan's hit a home run this year. NEVER fails to impress - that foul ball he hit last night challenges Prince's foul off the glass above the Terrace Reserve last year.

It was funny just prior to 3TO's HR last night I yelled at the pitcher and told him "not to mess with the muscle" and he threw him a strike and Branyan showed him the ways of the force. Beautiful stuff.

How about his foul ball up into the Terrace Reserved section, who does that? I'd love to see the measurements on that one, and it was off a lefty no less.

Just to point it out, I was at a game last year when Prince fouled a ball off the windows above the Terrace level seating down the first base line (might have been against the Marlins). It was the most insane thing I think I've ever seen at a game (besides "The Maniac" of course....whatever happened to that guy?).

Sorry to temporarily disrupt the Branyan man-love; you may now recommence gushing.

It was funny just prior to 3TO's HR last night I yelled at the pitcher and told him "not to mess with the muscle" and he threw him a strike and Branyan showed him the ways of the force. Beautiful stuff.

You have much to learn, young Padawan. In time, you will learn to control the force. Master Bran-yan will instruct you well.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ufCeMrpfRrw/RvbavU1R_1I/AAAAAAAABfc/WI5acj8DuTw/s320/dustinmcgowan.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's getting to the point where if he doesn't hit a 450' bomb every time up, I feel disappointment. The guy has been awesome.

yeah, to me there are now three "put everything down and watch intently so you don't miss something special" players on our team--Braun, Prince, and Branyan. I guess Sheets could be put into a sub-set of this category of player.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

It's absolutely terrible that Branyan was still in Nashville for as long as he was. Especially after the Gross trade. They decided it would be a good idea to roll with no lefty power bat off the bench.

It's absolutely terrible that Branyan was still in Nashville for as long as he was. Especially after the Gross trade. They decided it would be a good idea to roll with no lefty power bat off the bench.

Totally agree, it took them way too long to call him up. The Muscle has been outstanding, his bat is a much needed artillery in the Brewers offense.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's easy to say that in hindsight. I mean you look at his career numbers and they don't exactly scream 'savior'.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was glad to see Branyan brought up since Gwynn really served no purpose, but no way did i think he'd perform like this. Hopefully the change in batting stance is playing a real role in his hitting and it's not just some hot streak with a huge slump right around the corner.

One thing i'm curious about is say Branyan hits very well the whole rest of the season, would the team look at him in their plans for next year?

They went with the much maligned "Branyon" spelling.

b19 discussed that issue as it applies to the board. My feeling was that "Branyon" should be a double-strike violation. He felt an immediate ban was in order. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived