Brewer Fanatic

Russell "3TO" Branyan called up Gwynn sent down!

Kurt

Yeah Branyan's D has been pinpoint. I never thought he was bad at defense to begin with. I remember him playing darn good D back in 04'-05' for us. Besides Braun and Hart, Branyan is the third guy I get most excited to watch bat even ahead of Prince.

Oh his defense was never bad. It just sticks out a lot more in my mind after Braun and Hall's struggles over the past year and a half or so.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have loved the Branyan talk - as he was always one of my favorites, I always wanted the Brewers to pick him up from Cleveland back when we Got Sexson and Burnitz, loved his big bat. After attending the game today - where he played very soild D, and basically put us in the lead today, thanks to his 1st inning RBI single and his walk before the Cameron HR, his blast last night... I just don't get it that he didn't receive much of a hand in introductions and as he was going up to the plate all day... he may be the quietest loudest contributor we have seen on the Crew... or is it Branyan makes so much impact that it seems as though there is no impact at all?

He was only 2/3TO today, what a bum. He had a throw over to Prince where Prince had to stretch a bit to the side of the base, and that was the first throw he's made this year when I sort of hold my breath.

I just wanted to jump in and say that the Branyan homer of Nathan on Saturday night was one of the most exciting things i've ever seen at Miller Park. Just unbelievable. Too bad we couldn't pull that game off, but that's a discussion for another thread.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I just wanted to jump in and say that the Branyan homer of Nathan on Saturday night was one of the most exciting things i've ever seen at Miller Park. Just unbelievable. Too bad we couldn't pull that game off, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I must second this. It took over a day for my voice to recover. Then I checked the game recap, which includes Bob's call of the home run. I think the call does justice to the moment. At least it brought me back to Saturday night when I heard it the next day.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The only other time in recent memory that I've laughed that hard/cheered that much/hi-fived that many people was when we came back and beat St. Louis in the 9th in early May.

who else was at the 8/18/04 cubs vs brewers game where 3TO his a majestic blast in the bottom of the 8th only to have the brewers lose in the 11th (sound familiar?). 3TO was true to form: 2Ks, 2HRs - then in the bottom of the 11th he lead off the inning with a bunt single. (game was won in the top of the 11th for the cubs with a 2-run HR by corey patterson)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240818108

edit: oops the game was in 2004, not 2005.

Did anyone else notice on the Father's Day telecast, that Branyan has a son named Cash? He said that it was in honor of Johnny Cash, but I choose to believe that it was supposed to be spelled Ca$h because Russ is such a high rollin' son of a gun.

NUMBER 8!!!!!! Seriously, 8 homers in 55 AB? I'll now invoke the term "video game numbers".

Regardless of what other posters have said in other threads...Branyan's batting stance change is for real. I'm by no means saying he'll maintain this, but a power hitter that has strikeout issues has now moved his hands to control the strike zone. I don't think we'll see a .220 from Branyan, but more of a .250 or .260 avg, which isn't great, but given his power more than makes up for it.

Again, let's not forget the pretty solid defense the muscle is playing. I love the fact that Branyan rakes and people still hate on him. "He'll come back down to earth" and last year Braun rakes and most said " his defense is horrible". Can we not enjoy anything in Milwaukee? There aren't that many "perfect" batters and defensive players in the bigs, but I guess that's what it takes.

I'm by no means saying he'll maintain this, but a power hitter that has strikeout issues has now moved his hands to control the strike zone.

He has 22 Ks in 67 AB, so he's still striking out a bunch. He's just swinging at better pitches and his contact rate is silly high right now. Obviously, he's not going to be able to keep it up but every bomb makes it more likely that he'll be a productive player for the rest of the year.

I don't think we'll see a .220 from Branyan, but more of a .250 or .260 avg, which isn't great, but given his power more than makes up for it.

Don't forget those BBs! His OBP should be very good this season.

Russell has been even better than I'd ever imagined. Like you noted, JJ7, his defense has been about as good as his offense.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Branyan needs to make the all-star team so all the other NL all stars can tell their grandkids that they got to play alongside 3TO, at least for one game. Plus you know he'd just be there all relaxed and not starstruck like the other guys.

Branyan needs to make the all-star team so all the other NL all stars can tell their grandkids that they got to play alongside 3TO, at least for one game.

Branyan needs to make the all-star team so we can see him participate in just ONE HR derby....

How about his foul ball up into the Terrace Reserved section, who does that? I'd love to see the measurements on that one, and it was off a lefty no less.

I think you're on to something. Screw the platoon, fulltime Branyan!

Branyan needs to make the all-star team so all the other NL all stars can tell their grandkids that they got to play alongside 3TO, at least for one game. Plus you know he'd just be there all relaxed and not starstruck like the other guys.

Pretty sure most of the league already has played one game with Branyan on the team.

Archived