Brewer Fanatic

Q for Programmers - xls to html

sbrylski

I'll preface by saying I know little about html...

I have an excel file full of rows of data. How difficult would it be to write some type of script that would search this file for specified data, and export it in tables as an html file that I could upload to a server? (If you happen to be familiar with OOTP, I'm looking to create something similar to Catobase (Example), though a bit simpler and based off stats in an excel file.)

Let me know if what I'm asking makes sense, and how tough/time consuming it would be - get me pointed in the right direction.

What I would do is save it as a .csv, import it to a mysql database, and write a simple php script to display the data. It might take a little bit of SQL knowledge (depending on how complicated a spreadsheet you have), but it's not too terribly difficult.

You can save it as a web page from Excel, does that not work for you?

I want to generate a bunch of different pages based on data in one excel file. I'd rather have some type of script that will spit out pages, for example, a page for each unique entry in column A. This is fairly ambitious for me, just something I wanted to look into to see how difficult it might be.

Archived