Brewer Fanatic

Does Anyone Wish We Still Had Doug Davis?

Crew2323
Considering the state of our pitching, I certainly do. Yes, Estrada netted us Mota, who has been serviceable. But at the same time, we gave up Eveland who has been decent for Oakland. Perhaps it is the proverbial change of scenery that has benefited Dana. But would this team be stronger if Melvin didn't make that trade? If this is a rehashing of old debate, then this thread ought to be locked. However, I feel that this is a relevant topic considering the state of the Brewers pitching at present.
Follow me on Twitter

I wouldn't mind having Davis back but Eveland is the guy I want back. We just threw him to the curb like he was a scrub and didn't get a single good piece back for him. Now, none of those "pieces" we got are on the team anymore.

Davis was not pitching very well for us. (And Arizona's defense makes him look much better than he would on the Brewers)

Eveland came to spring training overweight and out of shape. I think he really needed the change of scenery to help him blossom. I doubt he was going to live up to his potential as a Brewer.

But, of course I would rather start either of them than McClung or Bush right now.

(But heading into this season I would have taken Sheets, Suppan, Capuano, Bush, Villanueava, Parra and Gallardo over either of them. Two season ending injuries and two poor performances changes a lot of things.)

After reading the D-backs box score last night I was wondering the same thing. 7 shutout innings from a starting pitcher is something the Brewers haven't witnessed a whole lot of this year. However, you can't really use Davis performance last night as a gauge of how his year is going to go. Once he starts going every 5th day again his ERA will come back up to the 4.5 range. We did see that Vargas wasn't the Doug Davis clone that a lot of people thought he was going to be and that's what really hurts.

Eveland was rushed up to Milwaukee and then dismissed awfully quick. For a young guy with the array of pitches Eveland hand, the Brewers should have kept him around a little longer, but he had to be dealt to net us Estrada and Vargas. At the time I missed Davis more than Eveland, but that's since changed.

If we kept Davis, however, would we have Suppan? I doubt it. So we'd be pretty much in the same boat with a rotation of Sheets, Davis, Parra, Villanueva/Bush/Eveland.

Dana never really impressed me at the MLB level when he was here. Sure, he was good in the minors but not with the big club. We traded him at age 23, I think, so I suppose Doug could have had a little longer leash with him before offering him in a trade. But to get players (Estrada, Aquino, whoever else it was) you have to give up players and the D-Backs weren't going to just receive Doug Davis for what we got. We put two prospects into the deal (Eveland and Krynzel). Neither really panned out for Arizona, so they dealt Eveland. Suddenly, something clicked in Oakland. Maybe it was the pitching coach. Maybe it was being in his 3rd organization in 3 years get him to focus. Who knows?

We could play the what if game all day with just about every player on the roster that we have ever traded away. I'm not in the front office and I can trust the Brewers' brass to try their best at what amounts to a very tough job.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived