Brewer Fanatic

Melvined! Julian Tavarez signed, ZachJack optioned to AAA (reply #90)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disklike Tavarez as well, but he did have a good run from 2002-2006. Even last year, he wasn't horrible. He certainly seems like he's worth a flier especially at league minimum and no cost of prospects.

They have become strangely consumed with "veterans" this season.

Yeah, DM was of the opinion that all this team needed was some short term vets to turn it into a playoff team. Gagne, Mota, Torres, Kendall, Cameron. And now Tavarez.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They have become strangely consumed with "veterans" this season.

Yeah, DM was of the opinion that all this team needed was some short term vets to turn it into a playoff team. Gagne, Mota, Torres, Kendall, Cameron. And now Tavarez.

Exactly. It hasn't worked out the way they wanted because they forgot one underlying principle: Veteran doesn't always mean good.

Are we now officially "Melvined"?

I think it's safe to say so. I have never rooted against a player that the Brewers acquired and wished for his failure. That changed today. Some may bash that line of thinking, but I'm just being honest.

I like everyone that watches baseball hates the guy, but I'm not going to root against him. I want him to come in, try to be a good club house guy and help the Brewers win. Of course the first time he gets lit up, I'm going to call for his head.

He is better than Zack Jackson

Yeah, that's a silver lining. But I'm sure they'll want to keep the stupid two LHP thing. I mean, Shouse has just been overworked lately! He's almost got 16 IP this season!

I disklike Tavarez as well, but he did have a good run from 2002-2006. Even last year, he wasn't horrible. He certainly seems like he's worth a flier especially at league minimum and no cost of prospects.

Disagree with your assessment of the last two years. If you look at the more telling peripherals, Tavarez actually deteriorated in 2006, but some good BABIP luck kept his ERA down that year. His K/9 dropped from the mid 6s to under 5, where it has remained ever since. His BB/9 jumped from 2.6 to 3.9, and he's never gotten it back below 3. This year he's collapsed completely, walking 33% more guys than he's struck out, which is why Boston released him. But he has been very bad now (FIP around 5.00) for more than 2 seasons.

But what choice did Ned leave Doug? He demonstrated yesterday that unless Doug gives him another "trusted veteran reliever", he's just gonna run Mota out there for at least two innings every single time the Brewers are in a close game. Any chance Mota has of remaining effective this season (probably not a very good bet anyway) would vanish entirely very quickly under those circumstances.

Still a stupid signing, especially if they send down DiFelice to make room.

The D-List, via Tom Haudricourt, is now reporting that Juilan Tavarez will be signing with the Brewers as soon as he passes a physical.

What can we as internet geek fans do to help manipulate the results of the physical? Think of something, quickly!

He is better than Zach Jackson

This should be bulletin board material for ZachJack.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Disagree with your assessment of the last two years.

Peripherals are useful, but don't tell the whole story. Peripherals were a reason that many thought that Bush would be better than Suppan this year. In 2006, Tavarez ERA+ was 106. It would probably be a stretch to call that good for a reliever, but it is around average, which would be an upgrade over some of the production we are getting. A 92 ERA+ with 2/3 of the season as a starter last year isn't what I would call horrible. It would be above replacement level.

He should be a back of the bullpen guy here to provide depth. He's not going to save the team, and if he doesn't show that he is better than what we have, it is easy to cut him.

Apparently, this team is willing to try anything and everything other than a shakeup in the coaching staff. It's sad really. If nothing else, the guys on the Brewers were likeable. Can't say that anymore. Julian Tavarez has to be one of the biggest jerks to ever wear a major league uniform. And he's not even good anymore. Looks like we've made the shift from last place team, to unlikeable last place team.

I love love love this move! It's about time we bring in a goon, not just a jerk who will only bring down our clubhouse (David Bell, for example). No, with Tavarez, we have a guy who is perhaps the most unpredictable player in baseball and that is exciting! Imagine if he'd been the one running towards first base when Reed Johnson slid into first? Tavarez's reaction? Punch him in the mouth. If we had him last year, he could've beaned Pujols and as he was being ejected...he could've punched him in the mouth. We now have a legitimate shot at an all out brawl on the field. I love this move and no, this isn't supposed to be in blue.

Peripherals are useful, but don't tell the whole story.

That's true, but the relevant question is whether they tell more of the story than ERA. Your assessment of his 06 and 07 ERA+ is spot on, if anything, I'd say he might have been more valuable than you give him credit for. But ERA+ is a lot less useful for projecting future performance than peripherals are. He wasn't the same pitcher in 06 and 07 that he had been previously, even if his results weren't awful. Things have gotten even worse for him this season. There's a reason why Boston, a smarter-than-your-average-bear organization, released him.

As far as Bush goes, his peripherals have fallen off a cliff this season. Something is wrong - either health-wise, mechanically, or just psychologically. He isn't pitching anything like the guy that people (quite reasonably) thought was better than Suppan. That guy struck out around 7 and walked around 2 per 9 innings. This year: 4.5 K/9, 3.5 BB/9.

Melvin is trying to fix this team that has had only a few things go right with the pitching. I dont understand what some people want him to do. Last year he went out and traded for a good setup man and all people did was complain about what he gave up. Now he is tryig a different avenue and still people are not happy. Not every player on the team can be an all star.

Community Moderator

What happened to Mike Maddux's ability to "fix" the problems of pitchers that we took off the scrap heap? Does he have a major impact, or did we just get lucky and correctly time the successes of Kolb, Turnbow, Cordero, Davis, etc.?

I don't like this signing, but perhaps there is some sort of flaw to correct that the Brewers think can render him effective. But overall, is adding a reliever really going to help us? The bullpen hasn't been great this year, but compared with last year, they are definitely not the scapegoats.

But what choice did Ned leave Doug? He demonstrated yesterday that unless Doug gives him another "trusted veteran reliever", he's just gonna run Mota out there for at least two innings every single time the Brewers are in a close game. Any chance Mota has of remaining effective this season (probably not a very good bet anyway) would vanish entirely very quickly under those circumstances.

Still a stupid signing, especially if they send down DiFelice to make room.

Why exactly was the use of Mota so dumb? Yes he pitched two innings the game before, but look at the pitch count. 2 innings, only 26 pitches on Saturday. On the other hand, Mota has 4 outings this year where he used more than 26 pitches and pitched an inning or less.

Plus the fact that Mota was given the day off in an extra inning game today. Yost can't win. This year he has taken pains to use pitchers for multiple innings to lessen the back to back. He's tried to get as many innings out of the starters as he can. He's held back on pitching the unproven guys in more high leverage spots until they show some good results. And yet people find something else to complain about...

I would bet Difelice would be sent down and that would be a good thing. Doesn't look like he will be that effective as how many 33-year olds making it to the majors for the first time are. I will wait too see how Tavarez pitches before making any assumptions. This is another guy who used to be very good. He also has been a SP in his career at times. Maybe he bumps Bush from the rotation?

Archived