Brewer Fanatic

Melvined! Julian Tavarez signed, ZachJack optioned to AAA (reply #90)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So why have the Brewers been "Melvin'd" if the signing hasn't even been made yet? I'm confused. GM's talk crap all the time.

I believe it is we, the fans, who have been Melvined. The news definitely gave me a painful feeling not unlike someone giving me an atomic wedgie.

So why have the Brewers been "Melvin'd" if the signing hasn't even been made yet? I'm confused. GM's talk crap all the time.

I believe it is we, the fans, who have been Melvined...

I agree. This is Doug Melvin's game, and we are his pawns. There's no way he's actually going out to sign Tavarez - it's too bad to be true. It's all part of his strategy so that some other team hungry for a RP will overpay for his services, leaving his actual targeted RP ripe for our picking.

..that's the way I'm hoping it goes, anyway.

The D-List on ESPN540 is reporting that Julian Tavarez is in a Brewer uniform at the game in DC. However, they are not sure yet if it means he is on the team or is just simply there for a tryout. Either way, it appears the interest in Tavarez is serious.

The D-List on ESPN540 is reporting that Julian Tavarez is in a Brewer uniform at the game in DC. However, they are not sure yet if it means he is on the team or is just simply there for a tryout. Either way, it appears the interest in Tavarez is serious.

I hope to God that they're mistaken.

Haudricourt also has it up on JSOnline. A few of the things mentioned in the blog,

"General manager Doug Melvin just told us that Tavarez worked out for the club here and will accompany the Brewers back to Milwaukee after the game today. If he passes a physical this evening -- which is considered a formality -- he will be activated for the game tomorrow against Atlanta..."

"Tavarez recently was cut by Boston after going 0-1 with a 6.39 ERA in nine relief outings... "

"He hasn't pitched since May 11 but he has been throwing," said Melvin. "We've had to bring up the younger, inexperienced guys. They've done ag ood job but this adds depth..."

"The Brewers have one open spot on their 40-man roster, so adding Tavarez is no problem. Another pitcher will be sent out tomorrow when he is activated. "

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/05/26/brewers-set-to-sign-tavarez.aspx

Now that it's actually happened, I'm hoping for two things:

1. He's actually decent out of the bullpen.

2. He doesn't try to punch anyone out. Except Ned Yost. He can punch Ned Yost all he wants.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

maybe they are just trying to slide him into a roster spot while smokescreening fans with a Yost firing. Could happen is all I'm saying. We can hope. In another thread it was pointed out that Yost is our Buck Rodgers, so who is our Don Sutton? Ugh, I hope its not Tavarez. Five cent arm on a two cent head.

I love the smell of desperation in the morning. Smells like . . . victory.

Is this some twisted attempt to recreate the Zambrano/Barrett dynamic from last season?

I could be way off here, but to the extent that chemistry has anything to do with the results of a season, I don't see how this helps one bit. I still beleive the core group has it in them to pull themselves closer together and possibly outplay their talent situation. (Whether this is enough to meet the pre-Gallardo injury expectations is another question). But unless this guy comes in and is immediately lights out in multiple consecutive appearances, even with no immediate obvious or dramatic problems with his teammates I don't know how this is anything other than subtraction by addition.

Archived