Brewer Fanatic

Melvined! Julian Tavarez signed, ZachJack optioned to AAA (reply #90)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember a game the first year the Brewers were in the NL. He got a guy out to end an inning, and flexed his muscles towards the Brewers dugout. I've hated him since.

anyone a fan of the show Intervention? apparently we are TRYING to hit rock bottom before coming to our senses. wow.

any thoughts on starting pitchers instead of Tavarez? Young and his broken nose from San Diego? wouldn't mind that.

But it fits Melvin to a T. He likes veteran relievers and thinks they can be resurrected in Milwaukee. It worked once, for about a year, and that project is now walking 2 an inning at Nashville. Give the young guys a chance. Dillard looked great tonight, Pena should be ready soon...Sarfate oops...Eveland oops....trust the youngsters Doug, and trade for a couple veteran starters like Wolf or Maddux or Redding(my personal favorite).

But it fits Melvin to a T. He likes veteran relievers and thinks they can be resurrected in Milwaukee. It worked once, for about a year, and that project is now walking 2 an inning at Nashville. Give the young guys a chance. Dillard looked great tonight, Pena should be ready soon...Sarfate oops...Eveland oops....trust the youngsters Doug, and trade for a couple veteran starters like Wolf or Maddux or Redding(my personal favorite).

or chris young.

It worked once, for about a year, and that project is now walking 2 an inning at Nashville.
He's actually walking over 31 per 9 innings in Nashville right now which would be over 3 per inning. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Didn't Tavarez throw an umpire to the ground in the whole Matheny mound charge? It seems like anytime I've heard news about Tavarez it's been negative. Surely DM would know better than to sign someone like this.

Oh, no. Not the crazy guy. (One of my early 2000s employees - a Cardinals fan, no less - and I dubbed Tavarez 'the crazy guy' years ago.)

This sounds like the kind of acquisition that fans like us would describe for years hence, in places just like this, as a turning point, a low point, a point of no return, a rock-bottom point in the Melvin era. If this happened, Julian Tavarez could be to Doug Melvin's legacy what Paul Molitor was to Sal Bando's legacy, or what Jeffrey Hammonds was to Dean Taylor's.

Doug, for once, trust some freaking internet geeks and don't do this.

Or, put in a more level-headed way, I agree with Brian's hope in post #8 above.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Fits Melvin's MO

Washed up - check

A jerk - check

Huge ERA - check

High walk rate - check

Aging - check

Waived by someone - check

Little left in the tank - check

The Giants debacle is still fresh in my mind. Uecker always has some bad comments about this guy.

Ugh, I also hate Tavarez. It seems like he's been in a brawl each year he's pitched. Nobody around the league must like this guy.

And he's always kind of reminded me of Magua from The Last of the Mohicans.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/mmelissak/cool%20pictures/magua.jpg

Why not find out if Jeff Juden has anything left in the tank while your at it Doug? Scott Karl is getting old but he's left handed.

any thoughts on starting pitchers instead of Tavarez? Young and his broken nose from San Diego? wouldn't mind that.

Wolf has a one year contract around 4.3 million this season. When considering his age, contract and what it would potentially take to get him I think he would be a perfect fit for this team.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I love how Haudricourt calls him "veteran closer" Julian Tavarez. He's got a grand total of 22 saves in 16 major league seasons. Half of those came in one season, so he probably was the annointed closer...for part of one season...for a recent vintage Pittsburgh Pirates "major league" team.

Now, mind you, I don't think saves tell you anything meaningful about how well a guy pitched, and I think the modern closer role as invented by Tony LaRussa is utterly stupid. But I'll bet dollars to donuts Tom Haudricourt doesn't think either of those things.

I wonder if that was Melvin's phrase? Is Haudricourt deliberately misleading the public or is he just passing along the branding strategy that Melvin conceived to explain the thoroughly inexplicable?

http://www.mlb-trade-rumors.com/images/JulianTavarez.jpg

http://www.horrormagazine.it/imgbank/NEWS/freddy01.jpg

I always thought that comparison was rather apt...

I can't stand Tavarez, and I can only hope Melvin is aware that Tavarez would probably spend time on the DL for some rage-induced injury...

Fits Melvin's MO

Washed up - check

A jerk - check

Huge ERA - check

High walk rate - check

Aging - check

Waived by someone - check

Little left in the tank - check

But he's never played for the Rangers or Blue Jays, so that's a definite point against him in Melvin's view.

Archived