Brewer Fanatic

Long-term contracts for our young guys: Who should we try to lock up? Latest: Prince declines 60 million offer (reply #23)

adambr2

He has plenty of time to bounce back for a big contract. He isn't even doing that poorly this year.

The thing that caught me off guard was in today's article about Fielder's tax issue. Haudricourt mentioned in passing that Corey Hart rejected a long-term deal earlier this season. We we aware of this? Because it was news to me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also just read the article, the fact that Corey turned down the deal after he said previously that wanted "security" really suprised me. Perhaps the Crew isn't valuing him like they should, because he is a darn good future all star type of player

I am hoping the Brewers do not extend Prince Fielder out longer than 5 years, or give him the type of money Boras thinks he's going to get. While I like him now (hence the jersey purchase last year) and hope his production picks up a bit, I don't see him as a long term Brewer anymore. His defense is way below average, and the system is bringing up more than suitable replacements.

Braun and Fielder have already had superstar type seasons and their offers likely reflected it...i suspect corey was hoping his offer would improve with a big time season...i still think huck will be next to sign long term

Let Fielder go be a DH.

Trade Hardy when Escobar is ready to take over.

Sign Gallardo, Parra, Weeks, and Hart.

He's not one of the young guys, but I still think they need to sign Sheets as well, if they want to make a serious run at the WS.

I might be the only one (though I don't get why that is the case), but I still hope they sign Prince. $60 million is a lot, but why would Prince take the first offer if he feels he's worth more? Since when is it a crime to negotiate?

(though I don't get why that is the case)

Bad defense, less than ideal attitude (anyone who hates their father with the passion Prince hates his with has a little adjusting to do, unless of course he was abused).

That post just illustrates why I dislike Tom H so much. How can the info on 60 mil just be thrown into a blog post like it's no big deal? That's big info and he failed to share it.

In addition, the whole thing comes off as a big pat on his own self-important back. "Woe is me, my job is so difficult."

Sheets is the guy this team needs to lock up. I dont know why it seems as if we have made no effort to lock Ben up. The longer we wait the less likely we are to keep him. He is a legitimate ace starter and the one guy on this team that will be impossible to replace. So please Mark A get Sheets signed now!

There was an article in ST saying Hart had rejected an offer, I remember that.

Fielder doesn't want to stay in Milwaukee any longer than he has to, I think that's pretty obvious.

3TO Apostle

(though I don't get why that is the case)

Bad defense, less than ideal attitude (anyone who hates their father with the passion Prince hates his with has a little adjusting to do, unless of course he was abused).

I hate this pop psychologising. We have no idea how Prince was raised or what his father did to him. Some of the fragments we have heard are pretty bad though, so you judging him based on his not getting along with his father is bizarre. I remember seeing an article that said Cecil beat Prince's sister in public when she asked him about the divorce. That alone is inexcusable.

And revenge of saget, how is it obvious that Prince wants out of Milwaukee? He may, but turning down a contract is not a reason to think that. People aren't obligated to take whatever someone offers them. They can hold out for more if they want without it meaning they don't want to work at the place doing the offering. Haven't you ever asked for a raise at work?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, maybe Prince doesn't want to be here but I really don't think it's obvious at all.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I guess Fielder figures there are a lot of things he still can not buy, even with $60 million. They should plan on trading him when they get a good offer and a suitable replacement is ready. There are a lot of players I'd prefer to see this $60 million used for rather than Fielder...for example: Sheets, Parra, Gallardo, Hart.

Sheets is the guy this team needs to lock up. I dont know why it seems as if we have made no effort to lock Ben up. The longer we wait the less likely we are to keep him. He is a legitimate ace starter and the one guy on this team that will be impossible to replace. So please Mark A get Sheets signed now!

I really doubt they've "made no effort to lock Ben up". (I realize you're just saying it seems as if that has happened). Mark Attanasio made a comment early in the season (or maybe it was during spring training, I can't remember), that he "expected Sheets to test free agency, as that is his right." I would guess that means the Brewers did try to make an effort, and Sheets basically told them he wasn't going to re-sign before the end of the season, and weighing other offers. The other possible scenario is that the Brewers have weighed his injury history against other options, and decided that Sheets will probably be too expensive for them. I think it's more likely that Melvin has talked to Sheets, and found that pursuing a contract extension at this point would be a fruitless effort.

Again, we have to remember that contract negotiations are a two way street. The Brewers can make all the offers in the world, but if Sheets isn't interested, what's the point?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Again, we have to remember that contract negotiations are a two way street. The Brewers can make all the offers in the world, but if Sheets isn't interested, what's the point?

I wanted to expand on this a little bit and also say that I think if Ben Sheets feels this way, it is perfectly ok. I think a majority of fans get a little too heartbroken over their stars when they leave for free agency, as if it somehows flips them the proverbial "bird". If Ben Sheets is feeling this way, then go get em son. Secure the financial stability of your family for generations to come, move to a warmer climate if you so choose, move closer to "home" to Houston, Lousiana, what have you, to an AL team where you dont have to swing the bat, or whatever the reason. If you choose to stay, I'll still enjoying watching you strike guys out and if you go, I'll remember the time you did it to 18 braves in a single game.

Boy, Fielder is making it easy not to be a huge fan of his. He's got to understand that, in a blue-collar, middle-class state, many people aren't going to understand turning down 60 million dollars and trying to credibly pose as if he's being disrespected... which seems to be his attitude...

Boy, Fielder is making it easy not to be a huge fan of his. He's got to understand that, in a blue-collar, middle-class state, many people aren't going to understand turning down 60 million dollars and trying to credibly pose as if he's being disrespected... which seems to be his attitude...

He didn't say the $60 million was an insult, in fact he (nor his agent) have ever said anything at all about any contract offer the Brewers made. He said he was hoping for a bigger bump in his base salary then he got after he hit 50 home runs, which I think is fair.

If we as fans bash a guy anytime he ever gives an honest answer ("Prince are you happy with your contract?" "No."), why will they ever give honest answers anymore? I personally like when a guy lets his personality shine through. Unfortunately, I doubt Prince will be doing that much with the fans/media anymore after all the bashing he's taken over the contract and the vegetarian thing.

Unfortunately, I doubt Prince will be doing that much with the fans/media anymore after all the bashing he's taken over the contract and the vegetarian thing.

The vegetarian thing is a joke some people take waaaay too seriously. I agree with you there.

Re: attitude/money - I know he never said that - more of just a general feeling I get... and a fear of this becoming a Gary Sheffield-esque situation.

But I'll give Prince the benefit of the doubt and hope that it won't/

(pared back long quote --1992)

JoeHova,

He has implied that he was disrespected. To complain about not making a few hundred thousand more this year, after turning down $60 million, is absolutely moronic and Prince should not get a pass on it. The way I see it - fine, turn down the $60 million but then play for the contract you signed and don't complain, especially publically. Prince knew (or should have known) that if he turned down the $60 million, he would not be getting a "bump" in the contract he signed. This combined with the IRS issues seem to show someone that has absolutely no clue how to manage money or handle contracts.

How the heck can anyone have any opinion of Fielder turning that contract down when we don't even know how many years it was for? If it was 6 years, it was a lowball offer. Even if it was a 5 year offer, it makes little sense for Prince to accept it. Why would he want to delay his first (and perhaps last?) big multi-contract by 2 years? He's less than a year away from being a mulitmillionaire anyway, so it's not like he's going to have any financial issues (if he even does right now) in the very near future. People who think it's unreasonable for a ballplayer to try and maximize his salary is being unfair IMO. Every other American does it. Who gets to decide how much money is "enough"?

Assuming a minor leaguer is deemed ready to step in, I wouldn't have any problem with the Brewers trading Prince this off season. He has a great stick but so does a lot of 1B. and when you consider his below average defense, his replacement doesn't have to match Prince's offensive value for the Brewers to still break even. You'd like to think that the Brewers could get quite the return for 3 years of Prince.

I don't see any point in signing Hardy to a long term deal. I'd love to sign Hart to a long term deal if he can be moved to CF (which I think he can handle). If he can't, is there even going to be room for him?

Archived