Brewer Fanatic

Fielder's defense?

DHonks
For years now I have defended Prince. He's rather agile for someone of his size. But has anyone seen a worse defensive 1b? He's made at least 5 mistakes in the last week that have been ridiculous. Today the routine grounder that McClouth hit was yet another example. Should have been an easy out. Prince was lazy, and called off Bush, then wound up giving up allowing McClouth to reach on a "single"

Verified Member
I agree and disagree. His D has looked bad this week. But I certainly would not use the word lazy. It seems he's quite reluctant to throw the pitch to the pitcher on close plays. This has happened a bunch of times recently, but it was also the pitcher not getting over quick enough. In today's game he looked like he was actually trying to avoid a collision with the runner. So there is something else going on there. I've seen no lack of effort, more a poor reaction to the situation.

The Brewers as a team are -19 using plus/minus this year which is good for second worst in the NL. I was hoping the Hall/Braun/Cameron move would help more than it has so far. We are about on pace for the same defense as last year.

He's turning into a DH really quick.

What I hate is he can't pick a ball to save his life. During Weeks' walk off single against the Cards a couple weeks ago, Hardy threw him the easiest one hop ball and Prince still botched it. He just adds to Weeks' defensive woes at turning the double play.

He's turning into a DH really quick.

What I hate is he can't pick a ball to save his life. During Weeks' walk off single against the Cards a couple weeks ago, Hardy threw him the easiest one hop ball and Prince still botched it. He just adds to Weeks' defensive woes at turning the double play.

Yeah Weeks to Fielder is the scariest double play finisher I have ever seen. It isn't as automatic as it should be like say Gantner to Cooper.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I agree and disagree. His D has looked bad this week. But I certainly would not use the word lazy. It seems he's quite reluctant to throw the pitch to the pitcher on close plays. This has happened a bunch of times recently, but it was also the pitcher not getting over quick enough. In today's game he looked like he was actually trying to avoid a collision with the runner. So there is something else going on there. I've seen no lack of effort, more a poor reaction to the situation.

maybe if boras wasn't his agent he dives and tags the bag for the out. this guy's head is not in the game. Prince take the 45 million like ryan,put it on the line for the brewers, and lets win some pennants.

Some might say that as he matures his defense won't matter to the Angels, Sox and Yankees.

Heck if he doesn't improve at the plate, those teams won't even want him.

They have plenty of guys who can hit .260 w/ 25 HRs.

Not only can Fielder not bend from the wast over, when he does he looks like he is about to topple over.

He has about a 3 foot range left or right and his defense is definitely the worst in both leagues.

It is not only the job of the first baseman to field his position, but he is suppose to bail out the other infielders. Every other first baseman in both leagues can make the scope play at first 90% of the time Prince is probably 50-50 at best. Which means increased errors by our other infielders. Infielders make catches on the run, in the hole, and behind the bag so they are throwing of balance alot of the time. If you see ESPN top 10 plays of the day that is the type of plays that are made followed by a scope at first base.

This year I'd give his offense a C, Defense a F - , and team leadership an F. It's obvious that he has lost that leadership role to Braun.

This is the biggest case of bandwagonitis I have ever seen

Signed,

Long time reader, 5th time poster.

By saying that Prince plays bad defense and he's likely going to be a DH in a few years? Dude, this isn't anything new.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I don't know. Was he referring to my post or the thread as a whole?

I just looked at Prince's "on pace" numbers for this year. He's on pace for .260 and actually only 21 HRs.

Do I think he'll only end up with 21 HRs this year? Of course not, I sure HOPE not.

I was just saying if he doesn't pick it up and return to 2007 form, he might find himself DH-ing for a team like the Blue Jays or Rangers instead of one of the "elite" teams.

(I am going under the assumption that he will not be back with Crew once his 6 years are up.)

jhart05 wrote: Heck if he doesn't improve at the plate, those teams won't even want him.

They have plenty of guys who can hit .260 w/ 25 HRs.

in 1958, at the age of 24, Hank Aaron was hitting .242 with 6 HRs by the end of May. i'm just saying that offensively, Fielder is still fine and hasn't suddenly lost all his talent. dude's a superstar and come September, i'm going to be glad his bat is on our team. granted, that doesn't speak for his defense.

I don't think he's lost all of his offensive talent either.

I was really only being half serious about that post anyway.

I don't honestly think he'll end up hitting .260/25 HRs this year.

I don't see how you can possibly blame Fielder for Gallardo's injury.

Wow. Really?

That play was all on Prince and the rumbling, bumbling, stumbling.

All I'm saying is Derek Lee or Pujols at first, that pitcher's not out for the season. They could have tagged the runner without trying to make any ankle tackle at the same time.

Archived