Brewer Fanatic

Fielder's value (and availability)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuesdays, your statement doesn't match up to the line you quoted. The operative words are "has to be traded to make room for LaPorta." There are several ways Matt could be brought on board when the time comes.

Certainly, trading Prince is one of the options. But, at least at this point, we're not running into an Overbay situation where it'd have been nearly impossible to get both guys into the lineup.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

To me, I don't know why the Brewers would even think of it. What do I know though?

• Speaking of the Brewers, Sherman believes Prince Fielder will be available "almost definitely in the offseason" and perhaps even this summer. Doug Melvin says he's not exploring it but never rules out anything. The presence of Mat Gamel and Matt LaPorta plus Fielder's unwillingness to sign long-term could lead to a deal. Fielder figures to jump up to at least $7-8MM upon reaching arbitration for the first time.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

EDIT: Please make titles more descriptive - BtA

I'd be open to trading Fielder for a top of the rotation starter. Resign Sheets and all of a sudden your rotation is one of the best in the league:

1. Sheets

2. Gallardo

3. Lincecum/Felix Hernandez/Kazmir/maybe Marcum

4. Suppan

5. Parra

It is entirely possible that those other teams wouldn't part with their young established pitching, but Prince is young and very, very good. I think that LaPorta and Gamel can make up for most of the offense lost by trading Prince.

The Brewers need to think about it because the chances are high that Fielder won't be here in the future, whether it's because he won't sign a contract or because the team doesn't think he will be worth it. Once you start with that assumption, you need to think about when to make the move. The further away one is from FA, the more they will bring back in trade value. The team can also afford to think about trading Fielder because they have young stars in the waiting in LaPorta and Gamel, so they won't created a huge hole by trading away Fielder. I don't think the Brewers need to go into the offseason with the thought they have to trade Fielder, but I definetly think it is something Melvin should explore.

The Marlins were able to get Maybin, Miller and the salary dump of Willis for Miguel Cabrera when he had one year of arby left. If we could get a return even close to that, I'd think Melvin would have to pull the trigger.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The thing is, if they trade Fielder then they really have no left-handed bats besided Gamel. If Fielder is to be traded, they will need a left-handed bat in return, which will not relieve the logjam.

If he is traded, I think TBWS hit it on the head - it will be a big 3-way deal that will be hammered out at the winter meetings. And I think someone pointed out the most likely teams - SF and Seattle. I would like to see a 3-way where someone sends pitching/closer to Cleveland who sends Sizemore to MIL. Actually, CLE is in need of OF bats, so while that is a strength of MIL I don't think they would give up Sizemore since beyond him they don't have much. They would have to get some ML OF bats in return.

Actually, even if they don't trade Prince, I wonder what it would take to get Sizemore from CLE? Hall/TGJ/Gillespie + one of Pena/Dillard?

I dont think we'd be able to get Kazmir, but I would hope we get more than Lincecum. Maybe Lincecum and Cain for Fielder and one of young outfielders like Cain or Gillespie?? I just hate to trade Fielder for one player, especially a pitcher, with the way our pitchers have been dropping like flies this season.

Prince to Dodgers for Loney and DeWitt (both lefties?) and Broxton. Cameron cut loose at end of season, Hart to centerfield. LaPorta in right. Gamel to 3B next year, DeWitt to 2ndbase next year, Rickie dealt for pitching.

Hart R 8

DeWitt L 4

Braun R 7

Loney L 3

LaPorta R 9

Gamel L 5

Hardy R 6

Kendall R 2

Pitcher

If you assume only AL teams would want him because of his future price tag I think teams like NYY, Seattle, and LAA are top possibilities.

I don't think LAA is a possibility as they are pretty content with a young Casey Kotchman. They are more likely to rebuild their pitching staff.

While I thinks he's worth Lincecum or Hernandez I just can't see it happening.

Just a reminder of what he did in just his second year in the big leauges. I'll take Fielder and Braun in the middle of the line up and take my chances on the guys around him.

Personally, I would deal Prince for Felix Hernandex IN A SECOND. Hernandez is an anomaly of a young pitcher (a la Kazmir) and the control will come around. He also would be having a killer year if Seattle would help him at all.

Barring a trade for either a mega-high pitching prospect or for a young arm like Hernandez/Lincecum, I still feel we should do whatever necessary to sign Princy. A Braun-Fielder core is just fine with me. But, a Sheets, Hernandez, Gallardo front looks mighty nice too.

similar to what And That said, i think a trade of Fielder is likely, but when will depend on his stats. if they're a little low at the deadline, i'd bet they'd keep him through the season, hope his stats climb again, then trade him in the offseason. there's a lot of teams that are going to need a first baseman for next year.

If you assume only AL teams would want him because of his future price tag I think teams like NYY, Seattle, and LAA are top possibilities.

I don't think LAA is a possibility as they are pretty content with a young Casey Kotchman. They are more likely to rebuild their pitching staff.

Maybe you don't remember, but LAA bats a DH.

Fielder and Weeks for Daniel Cabrera, George Sherril, Chad Bradford, and Brian Roberts

Does anyone else think we lose big time in that deal?

We definitely lose that trade big time.

"Want a surprise name that could come in the market, maybe before July 31, but almost definitely in the offseason when the Mets and Yanks could be hunting first basemen: Milwaukee's Prince Fielder. Milwaukee is blessed with a lot of offensive-centric players who could switch to first (Ryan Braun in the majors, Matt LaPorta or Mat Gamel nearly ready at Double-A). Mainly, Fielder is a Scott Boras client who almost certainly will not sign a long-term contract and the Brewers could decide his greatest value is in dealing him sooner than later while his value is highest and cost to them lowest. The Dodgers, Twins and Royals also could have interest. "It's not something I am exploring," Brewers GM Doug Melvin said. "But I never rule out anything."

Archived