Brewer Fanatic

Brewers inability to sweep under Yost

PaulRigdon
Does anyone know how many series the Brewers have swept in the 6 year tenure of Mr Edgar Yost III? Its seems to me that this team has an awfully tough time getting over the hump and can never seem to pull the proverbial "nail in the coffin" of the opponent. Even in blow out games, teams always seem to creep back in. I can't remember the last time we either swept a series or just pounded a team.

Can we get a comparison from another team similiar to our wins and losses? Sweeps are very difficult in modern baseball. I doubt we are far from average in this department. I doubt this is a managerial issue.

In watching almost all of the games that last six years....it seems like the Crew always wins the first two and loses the 3rd. (This is of course at home because in the last six years the Crew hardly ever wins 2 games during a series on the road!)

I don't see the big deal about getting sweeps or not, all that matters if the final record. If we had swept tonight and then lost 2 of 3 against Washington compared to winning 2 of 3 from both Pittsburgh/Washington, the final result either way is winning 4 of 6 games.

I think 21 sweeps in 6 years is pretty pathetic. Thats about 325 series.

It very well might be pathetic, but there was also only one winning season in there. I just don't think you can say it has to do with Yost. He's a part of it, as the players are, as well as luck. But it's such a broad stat that I don't think it's something to pin on anyone in particular.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I think 21 sweeps in 6 years is pretty pathetic.

Why not go look up other managers' luck in sweeps instead of declaring what you think seems true? I'm not saying I know the outcome either way, but I'd want to check it out first.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think 21 sweeps in 6 years is pretty pathetic.

Why not go look up other managers' luck in sweeps instead of declaring what you think seems true? I'm not saying I know the outcome either way, but I'd want to check it out first.

Wow, 2 threads in a row...That's all I was asking TLB.

It very well might be pathetic, but there was also only one winning season in there. I just don't think you can say it has to do with Yost. He's a part of it, as the players are, as well as luck. But it's such a broad stat that I don't think it's something to pin on anyone in particular.

One winning season with 83 wins is pretty pathetic too.

Like I mentioned in the IGT, the Brewers, since they've last swept a road series in July 2004, have won the first two games of a three-game road series 10 times. They've lost the 10th game every time. I don't think it's an indictment against Ned, but it is incredibly frustrating.

I agree, it's pathetic and even more pathetic away from home. They don't have that killer instinct and are just contented to win a series.

This is headed toward turning into a vent thread. As TLB says, we should be looking for a way to compare apples to apples before passing judgment without facts.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This is headed toward turning into a vent thread. As TLB says, we should be looking for a way to compare apples to apples before passing judgment without facts.

i believe that maybe 3/4 of the threads here end up in some sort of venting fashion. over expectations for this season, combined with too many years of miserable play may account for this--the brew crew has finished in 2nd place once since the 1992 season and 3rd place in their division 4 times since 1992, forgetting about their record.

winning may help curb some of the negative posts.

For some reason, I decided to look up some sweep stats.

In the seasons 1978-1983 (6 seasons, although one was strike-shortened), the Brewers were quite good. Lowest winning percentage was .531.

3-game sweeps: 28

4-game sweeps: 9

Total sweeps: 37

Won first 3 in a 4-game series: 9

Won 4 games in a 5-game series: 2 (I thought this was an impressive feat, so I didn't care if it was the first 4).

When all is said and done, it's not really a huge difference. Yes, 37 > 21, but that's only about 3 games per year. Like others have said, the "lack" of sweeps isn't the problem. The poor teams are the problem.

We won a road series in Pittsburgh. Things just didn't go our way Thursday night, despite all the base runners. It happens. It was a successful series.

While I won't pin it on Yost, I'm ever irritated at the amount of guys who slapped themselves on the back after winning the first two games from one of the worst teams in baseball.

Part of the "let's just win each series" dogma comes from the TV announcing team as well. "Well, you've already won the series... blah, blah, blah". Now, I'm sure that the team isn't just tanking a game because they've won a series, but perhaps 1 time out of 10 it does have some sort of effect... who knows.

Archived