Brewer Fanatic

Bush has to STAY (was Bush has to go)

Here's a question for debate. Since the trade essentially ended up Bush for Overbay, who got the better end of the deal? Who is more valuable, a league average position player or a league average starting pitcher?

I don't think your question is a fair one.

The Blue Jays have 4 above average starters in Burnett, Halladay, Litsch and Marcum, and they have a league average guy in McGowan as their #5. Pitching depth is cool and all of that -- but I think that Bush is way more valuable to the Brewers than he would be to the BJs.

Overbay had no place on the Brewers with Prince coming up -- The BJs got a big upgrade over Hinske at 1b, and Overbay did very well in 2006. Both Overbay and Bush struggled in 2007. We didn't need Overbay, and the Jays didn't need Bush. We probably shouldn't have given up on Gross when we did.

I think it was a sensible and effective (albeit not sexy) trade for both teams.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McGowan is above average too, just had injury issues. That is why I said the Cubs might very well have been a 5th place team in the AL East. The Blue Jays would easily have been the 2nd best team in the NL and maybe the best.

Bush is a perennial Breakout candidate to have a year like Chris Carpenter. His one wart, to me, is his home run rate, well, besides the fluctuation on his K/BB (which in his first year as a Brewer, was one of the best in the NL). As mentioned earlier, he is a lock to give you 190+ innings, 30 starts, and he is a bulldog on the mound. YoGa and Bush should form a good core for our future, and hopefully Parra and Jeffress provide the icing.

Archived