Brewer Fanatic

Double Steal w/Prince Fielder at the plate...

ESPNOwen

The only thing keeping his numbers respectable is his walks. And frankly, we need him to drive in runs - not get on base for Hall and Hardy.

I hate it when players clog the bases.

Prince is 0-10 in his career vs Maholm.

It would be better to use Fielder's LHP splits over the course of his career instead of head to head match up numbers.

Edit: Also, I don't think steals should be called from the bench. Players should either be given the green light(steal if you are pretty sure you can make it) or told not to steal.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I didn't like the call when it happened, and I don't like it now.

Yes, it limits the threat of Fielder grounding into a double play, yes he's been slumping.

On the other hand, you don't want to take the bat of Corey Hart's hands with runners in scoring position, which is what happened. Small sample size, I know, but he's been raking once there's somebody on second or third.

Course Prince had hit into two DP's in his previous AB. There was no guarentee that Corey was going to get an AB anyways.

IF the steal works and Prince still hits the "DB" ball.. it would've been an RBI groundout instead AND Corey gets the AB with a RISP.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Glennron wrote:

If the double steal works, they'd probably pitch around Fielder to set up for the DP for Hart, or at least a force at every base.

That's fine. If they want to put more base runners on I wouldn't argue.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Prince's value is letting him swing away with runners on base. Why take the chance at an out on the bases while he's batting, why open up first for a walk? If your m.o. is let's be aggressive at all times regardless of the situation then the double steal makes sense. But, it was a close game with your primary RBI producer at bat, I don't think the situation called for aggressive play. It was a bad decision and it didn't work. Also, if your logic is run so Prince doesn't hit into a double play, that's not aggressive - it's fear.
You may run like Mays...

Because using 10 AB or PA to try & 'tell' you anything is 100% unreliable.

Hmm, I can't back this argument up, but my ample gut tells me that 0-10 is a strong enough sampling to judge whether a guy's going to have decent success against a pitcher or not. Not 100% full proof, but closer than not. I also don't see how Prince fares against other lefties, like a power pitcher like Randy Johnson, has anything to do with how he'll fare against Maholm.

So I guess I politely, possibly foolishly, disagree.

It isn't enough. Example: If Batter A is 0-10 v. Pitcher B, & faces said Pitcher, going 4-5 off him for that game, he is then 4-15 against the pitcher.

What did 0-10 tell you, and what would 4-15 tell you? Nothing.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Because using 10 AB or PA to try & 'tell' you anything is 100% unreliable.

10 AB's will "tell" you that the hitter has struggled against said pitcher, that is a reliable assumption. However it does not allow you to predict future success, just not a big enough sample size. I think you can say, Fielder has struggled against X, but you cannot say something like X will always dominate Fielder because Fielder is 0-10.

I hate it when players clog the bases.
Not good when my responses are being compared to Dusty Baker. Not good at all. (The last Brewer slump must have gotten to me)

I wasn't saying Prince's walks were not an asset to the team. Obviously getting on base has value. But it has more value for a #1 and #2 hitter than it does for a #4 hitter.

Archived