Brewer Fanatic

Prince's Weight

chuckcrim
Player slumps, go out of your way to find a reason regardless of whether or not it is true. Sums up this thread.

pro players in other major sports do not seem to go through major body type changes like prince appears to have, especially at this young age. vegan or not, it appears that he is eating his weight up the scales.

mlb baseball, because of the length of the season, may have more statistical swings than other sports. but like it or not, prince flat out appears to be way out of shape.

his fielding is definately worse since last year.

tonight he looked like a pig in his uniform at pittsburg. and any uniform adjustment does not help--what is he 23/24 years old? my gosh, wait until he is 27 and his contract is up. maybe boras can get him on that nutri-system diet before then.

I agree, Prince needs to go on a real diet. His increasing weight is affecting his defense.

Player slumps, go out of your way to find a reason regardless of whether or not it is true. Sums up this thread.

Speaking for myself, I didn't even mention his play. I am talking about how freaking fat the guy looks. You're either in denial or you need to have your eyes checked if you don't think he's fatter this year. Since you brought it up, his production this year might very well be because of his healthiness or stamina or strength, I don't know...what I do know from the old eyeball test is that he's fatter this year.

I agree Ennder if Prince was batting .308 with 14 bombs and an OPS of .980 there is no way this thread is happening.

I'm guessing you could say something similar for just about any discussion on here..."if ___________________, there is no way this thread is happening".

If the Seattle Pilots had not moved to Milwaukee, there is no way that this site exists. Would we then all be on northsidebaseball...

I agree Ennder if Prince was batting .308 with 14 bombs and an OPS of .980 there is no way this thread is happening.

Like I already said once in this thread, discussion about Prince's weight was happening on opening day. I think there were even some guys down at spring training reporting the Prince looked bigger. Not everything is a knee-jerk reaction.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

You don't have to attribute that quote to anyone because everyone would say it. He's fat. And, he plays poor defense. And, he's not hitting.

Totally. If it weren't for his lefthandedness I'd advocate trying to trade him while he still has value for a young stud starting pitcher. Given his weight and his diet, the odds of him getting worse seem to be greater than the odds of him getting better. I'd guess it's hard to (1) lose weight, and/or (2) crush homers, on a potato-based diet.

Someone brought it up last night that he may have been the same size last year, but he was more solid. Maybe that has more to do with the perception of his weight. I don't mean this in a mocking way, but he just seems to jiggle more this year.

~Nottso

Prince has always been a big guy and will continue to be a big guy. Does he look bigger than he was last year? Well IMO I have not noticed a difference. Without threads like this I would not have noticed anything. Apparently according to some posters, that makes me blind. I guess I should go to a doctor. Do yourself a favor and google some pictures of Prince when he was with Nashville. You will see a big dude. He will get bigger as he ages it is just the way his body will work.

To suggest however, that his "struggles" are due to him being fatter and more jiggly than he was last year are ridiculous attacks on a hardworking, dedicated athlete. Prince has always played the game the right way and been a passionate, intense leader on the team at a very young age. There is nothing that he has ever done to suggest that this has changed or would for any reason change. I stand by my statement that the change in body composition is due to Prince's struggles at the plate. All of the Prince weight and vegetarianism threads came up a week or two into the season when Prince was struggling. They were knee jerk then and are knee jerk now.

Do yourself a favor and google some pictures of Prince when he was with Nashville. You will see a big dude.

That only proves our point further. Yes, he was always a big dude. But before this year, he was big...not sloppy fat looking. I'm sorry if you don't see the difference, and you probably don't see the difference from those Nashville days either. I'm not saying his fatness has been the reason for his mediocre start to the season, but you said it, if he was hitting .308 with 14 bombs, this thread wouldn't exist. Bingo. You're probably right, but we'd still notice the change in his appearance...we just wouldn't care. Kind of like I don't care that Ryan Braun is a prick in the eyes of other teams...I know he is, but I don't really care. Prince is not even close to those numbers, so here we are.

Do yourself a favor and google some pictures of Prince when he was with Nashville. You will see a big dude.

That only proves our point further. Yes, he was always a big dude. But before this year, he was big...not sloppy fat looking. I'm sorry if you don't see the difference, and you probably don't see the difference from those Nashville days either. I'm not saying his fatness has been the reason for his mediocre start to the season, but you said it, if he was hitting .308 with 14 bombs, this thread wouldn't exist. Bingo. You're probably right, but we'd still notice the change in his appearance...we just wouldn't care. Kind of like I don't care that Ryan Braun is a prick in the eyes of other teams...I know he is, but I don't really care. Prince is not even close to those numbers, so here we are.

Read my whole post. I don't think it is fair to make personal attacks on a guys body composition because he isn't playing well. You are guys are picking something that you can easily trumpet as the cause of his struggles. The pictures from Nashville and pictures this year don't show a guy who is "sloppy fat looking." They show a guy who is big and will continue to get bigger. But last year people defended Prince as "solid" and "built" Now once he struggles he is sloppy fat. Thats my point.

I don't see how anyone can say that Prince doesn't look different this year. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction, at least not for me. I've been saying Prince looked bigger as soon as the season started. And you know what, a lot of people have said the same thing. This has nothing to do with his production because a lot of people have been saying it since Day 1 of the season. It just so happens that he seems to have gotten fatter and his production has fallen off. Is that just a coincidence? Maybe. But they could also be related. Nobody can say for sure either way and it really gets me mad when people say things like "if he was hitting like he did last year, we wouldn't be talking about it." Well, he isn't hitting like last year and he does look more out of shape. His defense is worse (wasn't that great to begin with) as well.

And people (fans, scouts, etc.) in general have been saying since he was drafted that he was too big to play 1st and would eventually become a DH. Last year the guy just looked solid, with a lot of muscle on top of his fat. This year it looks more flabby and he looks like he might be gassed more easily. This is a thread about Prince's weight and a lot of people agree that he looks bigger. For people to just claim that this thread wouldn't exist if he was dominating is stupid. Maybe they would say "hey Prince's weight gain must've really helped his power cuz he is just crushing the ball this year." But he isn't dominating, though I wouldn't necessarily say he's struggling mightily either. But he definitely isn't playing anywhere near the level he did last year. The point is, he looks bigger to a lot of people so just leave it at that.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't think it is fair to make personal attacks on a guys body composition because he isn't playing well. You are guys are picking something that you can easily trumpet as the cause of his struggles. The pictures from Nashville and pictures this year don't show a guy who is "sloppy fat looking." They show a guy who is big and will continue to get bigger. But last year people defended Prince as "solid" and "built" Now once he struggles he is sloppy fat. Thats my point.

Like I said, I (and I'm sure a lot of others) aren't making person attacks because he isn't playing well. People noticed the difference at the beginning of the year when nobody knew how he was going to perform. Now people are just saying that maybe there is a correlation. I don't think anybody here dislikes/hates Prince and is attacking him personally just for the sake of doing so. We're just evaluating his body as an athlete. If a guy comes into camp out of shape, are the coaches going to say "we can't talk to him about it because it's a personal attack?" No, it's part of the job to be in shape.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

But last year people defended Prince as "solid" and "built" Now once he struggles he is sloppy fat. Thats my point.
That's because last year, as I said, Prince looked more solid. He seemed to carry more muscle-weight, and this year it looks like more fat. It's not just because he's struggling. Yes, people are concerned because of the combination of his weight and his struggles at the plate, but that doesn't change the fact that, as I've said several times and it continues to be ignored, people were talking about this before he was struggling. No one was concerned that he was going to struggle on opening day, yet posters were talking about the difference in his appearance. Don't change it to a couple weeks later just to fit your theory.

And these aren't personal attacks. It would be personal if we were just saying that he looked fat just so we can make fun of him. But his weight is something that may contribute to his ability to do his job, which means it's not personal. I believe I even made a point to say that it wasn't personal.

~Nottso

I am not going to repost what MY opinion is because anyone can figure that out by reading some of the posts prior to this. I do believe however that I am entitled to that opinion so I don't really feel like it is (your words) stupid and that I should just leave it at that. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, thats the beauty of a message board.

Yes, people are concerned because of the combination of his weight and his struggles at the plate, but that doesn't change the fact that, as I've said several times and it continues to be ignored, people were talking about this before he was struggling. No one was concerned that he was going to struggle on opening day, yet posters were talking about the difference in his appearance. Don't change it to a couple weeks later just to fit your theory.
The earliest a thread came up about Princes weight was 4-10. I'm not changing anything to fit my theory. A simple forum search can clear up any confusion for you you

1. Muscle is not on top of fat...

2. Have you googled the pictures or are you going off of what you've seen on tv, or in person? Google the pictures from last year, or in Nashville, and the pics from this year. He really doesn't look any different... Your mind has the preception he was "big, but more muscley" last year beacuse he was hitting bombs. This year your mind has the preception that he's "sloppy fat" because his power numbers are way down and because we all heard about his new diet.

Guaranteed most people wouldn't be thinking this if his numbers were where they should be - because the preception would still be there that he has muscle because he can hit. He's always been a big guy, he still is a big guy, and he will still be a big guy years from now. Apparently whether that's muscle or fat will vary based on his production that year.

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/entertainment/step_up/?p=117&srvc=home&position=recent

This was written a week after Prince announced his diet change. It talks about how it could have an affect on his body makeup. And I thought the last quote was great, though I don't remember hearing about it.

Matter of fact, I think his wife even mentioned that if she notices any decrease in his power production, she's going to feed him a steak.

If she said that, I think it's time for her to live up to it.

I was watching the Brewers-Pirates game the other night on MLB extra innings and they had the Pittsburgh feed. Anyway they were showing some Fielder HRs against pittsburgh from last year and you can see from that footage that Fielder is considerably fatter than he was last year. He looks fat, slow, and lazy compared to last year. He has always been and always will be a big guy but he is downright huge at this point. I hope he comes back and has a big year so we can unload him next offseason for a package of young pitching. He has no interest in signing long term and even if he did I am not sure the Brewers should take the chance.

Archived