Brewer Fanatic

Prince's Weight

chuckcrim
Is it just me or does he look heavier this year? I was watching the Brewer classic game on FSN the other night from last August, and he looked noticeably lighter. One would think becoming a vegetarian would cause you to lose weight. That is, if he's not scarfing down sweets and Doritos instead of meat. Is anyone else concerned about his weight?

One would think becoming a vegetarian would cause you to lose weight.
I used to work with a chunky vegetarian. I heard he ate a lot of peanut butter.

I honestly don't notice any difference. I think no one would be talking about his weight or eating habits if he was hitting like he was last year.

But since he is not, it seems reasonable to wonder why, no?

There was a thread on this about a month ago.

Quite a few (myself included) thought he looked significantly heavier. When you look fatter in a baggy uniform...well, not a good sign.

Someone said they heard from a clubhouse attendant (How far removed is that!) that Prince's diet mainly consisted of salads covered in cheese and ranch dressing.

Someone said they heard from a clubhouse attendant (How far removed is that!) that Prince's diet mainly consisted of salads covered in cheese and ranch dressing.

I guess no one told him about the connection between dairy farming and the "horror" of veal production, yet. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

There was a thread on this about a month ago.

Yeah, we discussed this a little after the first few games, so the opinion doesn't have anything to do with his performance. I thought he looked noticeably heavier in the first game of the year.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Last year Prince was 6 ft 260 lbs on the scoreboard

This year Prince is 5' 11" 270 lbs on the scoreboard

So maybe in two years we will find out the truth. His weight makes it hard for him to bend down on ground balls and possibly stretch on close plays at first or one hoppers.

My guess is 5 ft 9.5 " and 285 lbs!

So maybe in two years we will find out the truth. His weight makes it hard for him to bend down on ground balls and possibly stretch on close plays at first or one hoppers.

I am 6' 255 and I can still do the splits while playing first and stretching for a ball, which could be due to my/his weight falling prey to gravity.

As someone who is not skinny I can say that he does look much bigger, especially in the butt and thighs.

Verified Member
I'm not a nutritionist , but in all the hoopla about diet over the years, it seems to me the general thought on food is that carbs make you gain weight slightly more so than fat and I'm willing to bet Prince or any other carnivore trying to go vegetarian is going to indulge in carbs (breads, starches (particularly potatoes) and sugars) to when their bodies start to crave what it's accustomed. This is why, through my layman's understanding of nutrition, I was concerned about Price change in diet. That said, he's young and still developing his lifestyle, I'll give him the rest of the year to figure it out before I start really worrying about his weight and the team.

I'm not a nutritionist , but in all the hoopla about diet over the years, it seems to me the general thought on food is that carbs make you gain weight slightly more so than fat
If that's the general thought, the general thought is wrong.

I'm not a nutritionist , but in all the hoopla about diet over the years, it seems to me the general thought on food is that carbs make you gain weight slightly more so than fat
If that's the general thought, the general thought is wrong.

Agreed. Carbs can be bad, but for athletes like Prince they supply energy, plain and simple. That is the main job of carbohydrates in our body. Now if you want to get into the debate of simple vs. complex carbs we can go there. The problem is when people eat tons of carbs and sit around and do nothing. Oatmeal (normal not the sugary processed Quaker crap) which is high in complex carbs is one of the best things you can eat.

I am 6' 255 and I can still do the splits while playing first and stretching for a ball, which could be due to my/his weight falling prey to gravity.

So being 30 lbs lighter and 2-3 inches taller means Prince should be as flexible as you? We have seen way too many times Prince's inflexibility create a non play or an error for his teammates. That shouldn't be happening to a 23 yr old stud of an athlete.

Yeah that was me. I don't think the guy would just make something up and it could have just been a one time thing. But he also said that Prince just crushed handfuls of Doritos over his salad too. I've talked to a lot of people and they all think Prince looks fatter/more out of shape this year. It could be his baggy uni but I really do think the makeup of his body has changed. Even if his weight is around the same as last year, he looked "harder" last year whereas this year he looks more flabby.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Verified Member

He looks heavier to me. Its easy to gain weight without eating meat, even if you exclude cheese. Rice and beans or pasta will pack it on.

Mood and food often are linked. Maybe if his hitting continues to improve, he'll plateau or slim a bit.

I thought Boras had a scientific health program or something like that. You'd think that he would encourage him pretty strongly to keep fit. Really, in a way, it shows what an exceptional athlete he is.

Formerly AKA Pete

I think he looks bigger. He always had a lot of muscle on top of fat. Now it looks like fat on top of muscle.

Prince's weight was a concern before the draft. We knew when we got him he would not be in the field by the time he turned 30. I just hope he waits 4 years and implodes while being paid by the Sox.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

…in light of issues with attribution in regard to Spygate and the Boston Herald…

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

In Jayson Stark's latest Rumblings and Grumblings, he quotes an anonymous scout who says "Prince Fielder: "This guy is so big now, he jiggles. He's enormous. Hey, he's a great hitter. But he's huge."

Its one thing to call someone fat, and maybe he is fat, but at least get in front of the quote…and is Jayson Stark being fair to Prince Fielder in using this without attribution? Seems unfair, and kind of a cheap shot, in my opinion.

But maybe I'm all wet in regard to this story. Jayson's a great writer, that's for sure.

prince looks fatter/heavier/carbohydrate challenged for sure.

i think he looks at least 10-15 pounds heavier since spring training and 25-30 pounds heavier since last year.

his fielding is definately worse since last year.

tonight he looked like a pig in his uniform at pittsburg. and any uniform adjustment does not help--what is he 23/24 years old? my gosh, wait until he is 27 and his contract is up. maybe boras can get him on that nutri-system diet before then.

Archived