Brewer Fanatic

Another advantage of the DH?

paul253
I didnt go over the DH thread about Boston, so if this was included in the conversation, I apologize. But I was thinking about this the other night. Is being in the American League an advantage in trades for certain types of players? Lets say, for example, back when we had had Sexson with Fielder waiting in the wings. Everyone knew Fielder was going to replace Sexson eventually, so did that drive down Sexson's trade value? If we were in the American League and had a DH to put Fielder in and we didnt have to trade Sexson, perhaps teams would be more willing to give more to get him knowing we could keep him if the offer wasnt good enough. Similarly, a guy like Gamel, who has got major holes in his defense. His value would be way higher if he was on an American League team b/c you could stick him at DH....so knowing the Brewers have really nowhere to put him, assuming he doesn't stick at third, would we theorhetically get less in return if we traded him?

Considering where the Brewers franchise stood at that time, I thought the Brewers made a pretty good haul with the Sexson trade (and don't recall Prince's emergence being apparent at that time). However, when Overbay got traded, it seemed a forgone conclusion that he needed to be moved to clear space for Prince, and any time it is known that someone needs to trade a player that their leverage is reduced. But you are right, it sure would have been nice find a way to keep that sweet swinging lefthanded doubles machine in the Brewers current lineup (unless you count that the same as TGJ filling that role on Sundayhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif).

We did get a good haul for Sexson, and you're right it was Overbay not Sexson, but you see my point. We had to trade him because we had nowhere else to put Fielder, and everyone knew that, where as if he played in Oakland, they wouldnt have had to trade him. I thought we got hosed on the Overbay deal, personally. I just think that the DH is such a crap position. It takes away strategy, and it allows people with no defensive ability whatsoever (See David Ortiz) to continue to call themselves baseball players.

Jason Giambi has bounced back & forth from DHing full time to being the FT/Most-of the time 1B for the Yankees (like his is this season). I think Ortiz is the extreme example, as opposed to a random selection from many all-offense, no-D DHs. Sure, it makes the most sense to put your best-hitting worst-fielder combo at DH, but I don't think that's why the DH was created.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The DH was created to give old players longer careers without putting the strain on their bodies of playing the field.

See: Martinez, Edgar; Molitor, Paul and Thomas, Frank as prime examples (and, imo, Griffey, Ken soon)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived