Brewer Fanatic

Gagne "injury" (Reply #68: rotator cuff tendonitis)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But even the worst reliever in the league is going to be able to get1 out before coughing up 5 more runs the vast majority of the time.

I'm guessing that is the case with a 3 run lead and 2 outs with 2 strikes on the batter, as well. Yet Gagne gave that up not all that long ago.

I was imagining him loading the bases with a couple walks, then giving up a slam and Yost leaving him in to try to hold on to a 1 run lead...because he's the "closer".

"It wasn't really pain, it was just stiffness," Gagne said. "It feels like I slept on it or something..." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Forgive me, but how many 5-run leads did the Brewers squander last year? I guess I can't blame the Yostess with the mostess for getting him out of there.

Well the relevant question would be how many 5-run leads were lost in one inning... none, iirc.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Gagne's injury is in his brain. The man's confidence is probably pretty shaky right now. If someone get's on base, and that happens virtually every time he takes the mound, I would imagine he goes into "here we go again" mode. He needs of string of appearances where he sets down the order 1-2-3.

I felt like Bill was a complete putz the entire game last night. He kept talking about balls jumping out of PNC and how no lead is safe, as though he were hedging his bets and thought our collapse was inevitable. It felt like he wanted to be able to say "I told you so" when we blew the lead. Calling for someone to be up in the bullpen after Gagne gave up the homerun was ridiculous. It was not panic time.

remember when we had too many arms in the bullpen??

-turnbow

-riske

-gagne?

-stetter

-mcclung

all thats left is mota, torres, shouse, a demoted starter, and a couple of aaa(a?) guys. yikes!

Forgive me, but how many 5-run leads did the Brewers squander last year? I guess I can't blame the Yostess with the mostess for getting him out of there.

I assume you appreciate the difference between having a 5 run lead in the first or second inning and having a 5 run lead in the 9th with 2 out? That's what the win probability chart was supposed to illustrate. As long as the game is still going, there's some chance of both teams winning. But with 2 on, 2 out and a 5 run lead in the 9th, there was no desperate need for Yost to fake an injury to make sure Gagne did not face another batter. He could have warmed someone up, let Gagne give up a bomb and he STILL would have had a 2 run lead to work with.

It was very close to the pinnacle of over-reaction scenarios: 2 outs in the 9th, with the bases loaded and a 5 run lead. The announcer (either with excitement or fear, depending on what team he works for) will inevitably proclaim, "The tying run is on deck!" I just don't get worked up over the 1% chance of the game going to the underdog. You can't have your manager making decisions to avoid the "big loss" at all costs, at the expense of everything else. That's managing for the media and it's a bad idea.

My biggest problem was then he goes to Torres. So he uses his best reliever this year and hurries to warm him up in a game thats over. Shouse could face a RH bat in this situation. Jackson has to be here for some reason.

My biggest problem was then he goes to Torres. So he uses his best reliever this year and hurries to warm him up in a game thats over. Shouse could face a RH bat in this situation. Jackson has to be here for some reason.

Yeah this really bugged me as well. You'd think DiFelice could even get an out before he gave up a five spot.

You can't have your manager making decisions to avoid the "big loss" at all costs, at the expense of everything else. That's managing for the media and it's a bad idea.

In this case he was more likely managing to save himself at all costs.

I agree he could have went with another releiver but torres didn't have to hurry since injury repalcements get all the time they want to warm up. I don't buy into the injury being fake so the next reliever had a chance to warm up idea either. There have been plenty of times where a reliever gets up while the catcher goes to visist the mound, then the pitching coach comes out, then the pitcher faces one more batter and takes his sweet time between ptiches, maybe with another visist or two from the catcher. If the game had been closer and the very next batter could have been in a game changing situation I'd thik it more possible. Given the lead and the need for one more out there was no reason to make up an injury. There was penty of time to get someone warmed up.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

There wasn't exactly an urgent need to get another reliever into the game, considering the circumstances. A 5 run lead with 2 outs in the 9th isn't exactly panic time. I know Bill Schroeder tells you guys to panic in those situations but the outcome of the game was never in any serious question.

After watching Wise last year against the Phillies come in with a 5 run lead I believe it was and give up a walk and a home run and then to see Cordero come in and not be able to even get the pitcher out. I was a little bit concerned. I nearly died at the stadium that day.

If... your post in this thread was deleted, it was because the discussion had devolved into a lot of name calling and other things that had nothing to do with the topic.

If... you were involved in the discussion related to the deleted posts and bring any of that discussion back up in this thread, those posts to will be deleted and you'll be contacted by a moderator to discuss why you did that and the repercussions thereof.

If... you wish to discuss name calling, kidding around vs questionable humor, or the ins and outs of condescension, please start a thread in the "Issues" forum.

Thank you.

Here is the latest on Gagne from Haudricourt's blog,

"As for Gagne, he's temporarily shut down until they find out what's going on with his shoulder. I don't know who will close in his absence but at this point it doesn't appear he's going on the DL."

Gagne didn't look comfortable on the mound at all last night. But it doesn't seem like he has really found his groove in any of the appearances that I have witnessed this year.

As a casual observer, I would recommend that he gets a haircut, a clean shave, and a pair of pants that fit. Based on his appearance last night, he is making a bad name for anyone named Eric.

Verified Member
Why is he not on the DL already? This is really bugging me. Perfect chance to get him a few innings in the minors. I know pitching is short, but may as well give Pena or someone a chance rather than Gagne right now.

Archived