Brewer Fanatic

Gagne "injury" (Reply #68: rotator cuff tendonitis)

i just received voicemails, emails and texts from Boston friends which included a lot of giggling, i-told-you-so-ing, and head shaking upon the news that the French Connection left due to an "injury." anything said in the post-game show?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Genius strategy by Ned to get Gagne out of the game when he realized there was no way he could get a reliever warm in enough time...to me it looked like Gagne was just doing what he does after every pitch, stretching his arm out like that. I doubt he's actually injured, but they might just parlay this into a chance to send Gagne down for "rehab".

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Genius strategy by Ned to get Gagne out of the game when he realized there was no way he could get a reliever warm in enough time...to me it looked like Gagne was just doing what he does after every pitch, stretching his arm out like that. I doubt he's actually injured, but they might just parlay this into a chance to send Gagne down for "rehab".

I agree 100%, I never bought he was hurt for a second

There wasn't exactly an urgent need to get another reliever into the game, considering the circumstances. A 5 run lead with 2 outs in the 9th isn't exactly panic time. I know Bill Schroeder tells you guys to panic in those situations but the outcome of the game was never in any serious question.

There wasn't exactly an urgent need to get another reliever into the game, considering the circumstances. A 5 run lead with 2 outs in the 9th isn't exactly panic time. I know Bill Schroeder tells you guys to panic in those situations but the outcome of the game was never in any serious question.

You're right, but I couldn't help but feel a little tense after the way things have been going lately. Long road losing streaks tend to mess with my rationality a bit. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I still don't really buy the fact that Gagne's hurt, though, since he didn't even really show any signs of pain on the mound. The only thing I saw was a bit of a "here we go again" look on him after the Bay HR.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Verified Member

I actually thought I did see Gange stretch his pitching arm like it hurt a few pitches before Yost came out. But seeing the way Gange came out, made me think more on the lines of what's being suggested here.

I wonder if some insurance kicks in if he's on the DL--that might be more valuable to the team right now.

You must have missed Sheets' last start. If Sheets can give up 5 runs in less than 10 pitches, think what Gagne can do.

Doesn't Pena have a pretty long scoreless inning streak going?

He's allowed 1 run in his last 10 appearences (10 innings). I'd like to see him be effective over a little longer period though. If Gagne were DL'd, I'd bring back Stetter. He's shown he can get big league hitters out if he throws strikes and I think the mental break was all he needed.

Then after another couple of weeks if Pena keeps dominating, bring him up and send down Jackson.

Having said that, I don't think anything was wrong with Gagne physically. He was running up his pitch count and they wanted to get him out of there and needed a way to give Torres more time.

The big question is: What are the Brewers going to do with him? Injured or no (and I am in the "no" camp, too), he's turning into a $10 million train wreck. Is he just going to eat some middle-relief innings for awhile? (I genuinely don't have an answer here.)

You're right, but I couldn't help but feel a little tense after the way things have been going lately.

I didn't say I was comfortable watching that ending, emotionally. I certainly don't blame any Brewer fan for getting tense when it looks like the Brewers are trying to give another game away. A manager can't manage that way, however. He has to looka the facts. Objectively speaking, the game was never that close.
Here's the win probability for the game:

http://fangraphs.com/tgraphs/20080520_Brewers_Pirates_0.png

As you can see, all that action in the 9th didn't even budge the win probabilities. Now, that's assuming an average pitcher, which Gagne certainly is not right now. But even the worst reliever in the league is going to be able to get1 out before coughing up 5 more runs the vast majority of the time.

It was kind of funny when Yost came to the mound with the trainer. All three were just standing there. The trainer eventually gave a "What do you want me to do?" look to Yost.

It was kind of a bush league move on Yost because I doubt there is any "injury", but I applaud the move because it's obvious that Gagné has totally lost all of his mojo and is hurting this team. If this is the only way for him to work on his confidence in Nashville, then so be it.

I wasn't concerned to much. 5 Run lead, and 2 on, if they got another base runner on then maybe my blood pressure would go out. What more got the BP up was even in junk innings, things were pretty ineffective. That is, unless Gagne was trying some new pitches out and just got burnt.

I wonder if some insurance kicks in if he's on the DL--that might be more valuable to the team right now.

I think a player has to be on the 60 day DL to get any insurance money. Back when Albert Belle was forced to stop playing because of a hip disorder, the Orioles had to keep him on the DL for a couple years or insurance wouldn't pick up the majority of the salary. Once the contract expired he could officially retire.

Archived