Brewer Fanatic

McClung to rotation, Villanueva to the bullpen

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McClung has done ok in his current role, I guess...his 31 innings in Milwaukee at 115ish ERA+ is better than I ever expected. I don't have a lot of optimism about him as a starter though....I'd think you'd keep him in the one role where he's had anything like major league success in the hopes that he can become a valuable reliever. I guess they feel like they have to do something, but this looks like flailing around aimlessly to me...

I think the reason for the Bush/Suppan swap is to get the starters that can't seem to go more than 5 innings (Bush/Newhouse/Parra) split up to not put such a strain on the bullpen. Right now, you have three games in a row that 3-6 relievers are going to be used per game. By that third game, everyone is going to need a break. And if Sheets doesn't go 7 or 8, you got one tired, overworked bullpen.

I think McClung will do alright. He's pitching better than he ever has. If you take out that one game against the Reds, his stats are pretty sweet, and I seem to recall that he was taking one for the team in that game. He was originally a starter and should be able to go six innings as well or better than villy. He strikes a lot of guys out. I think he at least deserves a shot.

Barring a major move, it is time to seriously lower our expectations for this team. Looking at this objectively (not as a fan) how do you honestly argue that any team that has a rotation of 1.Sheets, 2. Bush, 3. Suppan, 4. McClung, 5.Parra has an above-average chance of playing in the post-season.

McClung's problem has always been his command, so he's deserved the chance...

O... crap

+

Because Seth McClung gets batters out. He's a batter-getter-outter. You guys just don't understand this concept.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif Some much-needed laughter today -- thanks boys. I can't believe that we're trotting McClung out there to start, but I guess you might as well give it one shot... right? I don't like the move, but it really can't be that much worse than what we've seen from most non-Sheets/Gallardo starts in 2008. Ugh.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Villy, Villy, Villy... just make pitches in the future so this all gets put to bed. I really liked the rotation coming into the year with Sheets, Yo, Suppan, Villy, and Parra. Parra is making strides, though he still wastes way too many pitches, he needs to be more economical. Yo is done, Sheets has just been OK since his little injury, and Villy hasn't been arguably the worst pitcher in the rotation. In many ways this feels like 2006 all over again... I honestly thought that Villy would be a very solid back of the rotation guy after all the experience he got last year.

2 long losing streaks nearly back to back will do that to me though. This is why I've narrowed my focus to Huntsville temporarily, there's always something positive out of Huntsville, even if they lose.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well, if you're going to start McClung against anyone, it might as well be the Nationals. I still can't shake the feeling that Villy will end up pitching about 4 innings of relief in that game, anyway, though.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The thing i don't care for is that McClung has been fairly effective in the role he's been in and barring a surprise by him doing well starting, the bullpen role is probably the best fit considering his abilities.

Archived