Brewer Fanatic

Was Dean Taylor that bad?

sweepscc
Good Lord, who is the high end on that scale?

Does it matter? I'd like to stay away from the area code of that scale.

Alex Ochoa:

December 14, 1998: Traded by the Minnesota Twins to the Milwaukee Brewers for a player to be named later. (Darrell Nicholas)

January 14, 2000: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers to the Cincinnati Reds for a player to be named later and Mark Sweeney. (Gene Altman)

January 21, 2002: Traded as part of a 3-team trade by the Colorado Rockies to the Milwaukee Brewers.

So that was Alex's 2nd stint in Milwaukee. After we didn't want him 2 years earlier. And 7th on his most comparable players: Gabe Kapler.

The Dean years have been deleted from my main memory so I can no longer add any input to his reign.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I think Taylor was hired in part because he thought he could simaltaneously rebuild the farm system and put together a winning team through trades and free agency. I don't know if that was a something Wendy Selig Prieb demanded or something he sold her on but it certainly was how he operated when he first got here. He got guys like Jamie Wright and Jimmy Haynes who had decent stuff but no success. I guess the hope was they would somehow put it all together here. Unfortunealty for him he chose Davey Lopes as the person to get it out of them. I'm not convinced he got to chose who he hired as manager though. There was pressure on the Brewers to hire a minority since Bud just got done imposing a directive to interview more minorities. I think the pressure to field a winning team in a new stadium combined with the need to hire a specific manager and the horrid talent level he inherited made it nearly impossible to succeed. I've always been curious if he had the option to trade the veterans like Cirillo and Burnitz for minor leaguers to restock the farm and chose to go the route he did instead or he was told he had to get major league ready players.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived