Brewer Fanatic

Fenway Park

jhpc12

Just got back from an unforgettable weekend.

The games didn't turn out like I would have liked, a 3-0 series sweep but would even been happy with a 2-1. NO SUCH LUCK

In game #1 Soup really didn't pitch that bad. I know he gave up 4 runs in the first two innings , but really settled down after that. We never put together that one inning that gave you the impression that we were about to take charge, but we never appeared that we couldn't come back either.

In game #2 Bush really pitched pretty real. I know he didn't take the loss, but he should have had the win. Defense & the bull pen were horrible. We take the lead and the first thing we do is have an error on a routine throw to first and so goes the game. If I here from my bunch of friends that we can over look Fielder's defense because of his hitting I think I'll scream. I know that occasionally the infielders make a bad throw to first and Prince doesn't have a clue on the receiving end. He made to swipes at bad throw that every other first base man in either league would have made the play, but again not Prince. I'll bet you that with Sean Casey, Derrick Lee or any other first baseman we take at least two games. I don't care how well they were hitting.

In game #3 Villy is just terrible. and we did make a run to stay in the game the bull pen did us in as usual.

But forgetting the games, the atmosphere at the ball park was like something I had only witnessed in fictional movies. I have been to 20 different major league ball parks, including Miller Park, and nothing compares to Fenway. The park is old, the seats are the most uncomfortable I have ever sat in, there aren't enough bathrooms, and you have to wait sometimes 30 minutes to get a hot dog or beer. But believe me it is worth it.

If you are at Miller Park and the chant of "LETS GO BREWERS" starts if there are 35,000 fans about 1/2 will actually chant. At Fenway the chant of "LET'S GO RED SOX" is screamed by all 38,000 fans (excluding fans from the visiting ball club). It is so loud it shakes the stadium. At the seventh inning stretch the entire 38,000 are singing in unision, it's unbelievable. In the middle of the the eight inning when they sing Sweet Carolina it sends chills up your back.

They are very knowledgable fans. When Corey lost the fly ball in the sun Saturday and caught it about six inches off the ground the fans in right field gave him a standing ovations. When Braun hit his first homerun and when Corey hit that monster shot over the lights (it was over the lights by atleast 5 feet. I was standing right at the the foul pole when it left the park) it was like they were waiting on a curtain call from our young studs.

Now I know it my have been because of the outcome of the games, but I like to believe that they are just fans. I can't tell you how many times I was approached and told how good of a nucleus we had to have a great team in the near future and how impressed with the fan support we brought with us.

If you have seen the movie Fever Pitch or if you haven't (go rent it) it is exactly that way at the park and in the city. Red Sox all the time.

I am just thankful that I had the opportunity to witness this event and if you ever get this opportunity whether its with Brewer's or whoever believe me you will definitely regret it if you let it slip by.

Given that I've always favored the Yanks in that rivalry, I am distressed to hear your report that the Sawx fans are great. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Sounds like you truly had an unforgettable time... I'm jealous! Do you have any pics to share?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

jhpc12: Your assessment of Fenway Park is right on. I've been there twice and I think the fans are great.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get there this weekend. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I'll disagree on one point...

Sox fans are great, until they are losing. Then, they suddenly turn into Cubs fans. At least, that was my experience in the CF bleachers during the late game Saturday night.

I was also very disappointed to read that the game on Friday night was basically given no chance to be played by game time, and they let everyone sit around in the cold and rain for 2 hours before calling it.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'll disagree on one point...

Sox fans are great, until they are losing. Then, they suddenly turn into Cubs fans. At least, that was my experience in the CF bleachers during the late game Saturday night.

I was also very disappointed to read that the game on Friday night was basically given no chance to be played by game time, and they let everyone sit around in the cold and rain for 2 hours before calling it.

We didn't just sit around...they liked having us hang around the concession stands paying for their hot dogs and massively overpriced beer.

I would venture to guess that the Fenway experience is VERY akin to the Lambeau experience.

edit: except that the Packers still play Todd Rundgren.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

i got tickets to only 1 game this weekend and as my luck would have it, it was for friday's game. and on top of that i left boston before the game was replayed. i never got to see a game in fenway, but i was able to be in the stadium for quite a while. it was awesome, just awesome.

i have plenty of pictures of fenway that i will post by the end of the week.

i also have pictures of the yankees/mets game from sunday that i will post as well...

Archived