Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox lester throws NO-NO

truecrew

I think we should get no hit, maybe it's the kick in the behind we need, although, I think we have been kicked plenty already

Didn't we (briefly) turn it around after getting no hit last year? I don't have the numbers

*edit*

Found some numbers, we won 13 of our next 16 after the Detroit game last year

What struck me as funny in watching the final 3 outs of Lester's performance was how hallowed, yet sort of flawed a no-hitter is. They rarely come without at least one fantastic, hit-robbing defensive play (think Rockin' Robin for Nieves's), which is basically luck for a P. On the flip side of that coin, a no-no could have an unlimited amount of errors & still be a no-no. Further, the criteria for a no-hitter doesn't even include it being a shutout, which is strange.

What made me reflect on this was Lester BBing the man in the 9th (his 2nd & final BB of the outing). It's odd how we have sort of 'benchmark' accomplishments that don't necessarily tell you much about the pitcher himself. You quite literally could have a guy go 9 IP, with 7 BBs, 3 or 4 errors on the defense, and a few runs score... and still have a no-hitter. Lester certainly was impressive last night, but it made me stop & consider why the no-hitter is considered very nearly as impressive as a perfect game -- which is almost an entirely different animal (though defense & luck play big roles too).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What struck me as funny in watching the final 3 outs of Lester's performance was how hallowed, yet sort of flawed a no-hitter is. They rarely come without at least one fantastic, hit-robbing defensive play (think Rockin' Robin for Nieves's), which is basically luck for a P. On the flip side of that coin, a no-no could have an unlimited amount of errors & still be a no-no. Further, the criteria for a no-hitter doesn't even include it being a shutout, which is strange.

What made me reflect on this was Lester BBing the man in the 9th (his 2nd & final BB of the outing). It's odd how we have sort of 'benchmark' accomplishments that don't necessarily tell you much about the pitcher himself. You quite literally could have a guy go 9 IP, with 7 BBs, 3 or 4 errors on the defense, and a few runs score... and still have a no-hitter. Lester certainly was impressive last night, but it made me stop & consider why the no-hitter is considered very nearly as impressive as a perfect game -- which is almost an entirely different animal (though defense & luck play big roles too).

A.J. Burnett 9.0 0 0 0 9 7

That was Burnett's line in 2001 for his no-hitter.

Yeah, it was impressive. I have to share this though... and I will paraphrase, though it's basically 100% accurate. Earlier this morning I was reading the NYYFans thread on the no-hitter, and one poster actually commented, "Oh come on -- he had the hangnail of cancer"

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

And we think 'Brewers-Cubs' is a rivalry http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No one in this entire thread is going to offer a tip of the hat to Lester for beating cancer, coming back, and then pitching a no-hitter?

I kind of implied it, knowing full well that most of us on this site already know about the cancer. But, Bravo, Jon, anyway!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived