Brewer Fanatic

Melvin in Nashville, but not to look at players?

On my way home this evening, believe it or not I had heard nothing of these Badger Blog reports. So I was just generally wondering what move might be on the horizon with Doug Melvin on a visit to Nashville. I got to thinking about what players were sitting in AAA and it just didn't seem like Melvin could possibly think there was anyone there who would make much of an impact. Besides, he made the call to bring up DeFelice without seeing him in person. And he knows full well what he has in Branyan.

Then it all made sense. Melvin must be in Nashville for Kremblas. It could be as simple as picking his brain about the young players on the major league squad who Kremblas knows so much about. Or could it be to work out a contract to manage the big club? Bottom line, I think Melvin's primary reason for this visit is to get up close and personal with Kremblas. Maybe to speak with Stan Kyles as well.

It certainly occurred to me. I thought for awhile that he was going to get and OK from Kremblas to either become the manager or bench coach and then fire Ned, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Still, they might talk about it- even if Melvin isn't planning to make a move until later this week.

Edit: Yeah, not trying to start a big conspiracy/secret meeting theory here: he often goes to watch all of the minor league affiliates play just to see some players in person.

A GM would still want to check on players who aren't potential callups. There's a host of things Doug could be doing down there.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It seems to me that 99.9% of callups in the past have been done wityhout Melvin going to watch the players in person. They called up ZachJack and DeFelice just in the past week without Melvin sitting in the stands prior. The timing seems akward for this to be just a routine evaluation. Another possibility could be that Melvin is giving Kremblas the task of prepping for a potential call-up to the big show. Put him on notice to get prepared in the case a move is made in the next week. He might not even be showing his hand to Kremblas. He might be there to monitor Krembals without Kremblas even knowing that's what he's there for.

Doug goes to see each of the minor league teams during the season...he was just in Brevard County as well.

Yeah I know, you guys make a good point there. It does seem like an odd time to make this particular visit. Does anyone at least see how he could possibly be there to evaluate Kremblas?

I don't think it's necessarily an odd time to visit. But even though it's likely to be pure coincidence that it coincides with all the Ned talk, it's still interesting to speculate.

I don't know how much notice Doug could give a Kremblas or another underling lower on the totem pole, though. If he made it obvious what he was doing, he'd likely be usurping something that ought not be usurped.

EDIT: I would think evaluating Kremblas would be part of a typical Nashville visit whether or not Doug was thinking of replacing Yost.

It seems to me that 99.9% of callups in the past have been done without Melvin going to watch the players in person. They called up ZachJack and DeFelice just in the past week without Melvin sitting in the stands prior.

The DeFelice callup happened because all of a sudden Mitch Stetter can do nothing short of a great Derrick Turnbow impression and HAD TO BE sent down.

The Jackson callup happenend because Riske got hurt and they needed a pitcher to take his place.

These are just a couple examples of standard operating procedure -- just like Melvin periodically visiting all the farm clubs. There's nothing funny going on here. Normal stuff. I really think we shouldn't read too much into any of this. I hate how this team is playing, too: not to lose, rather than being bulldogs about winning.

Braun hit the nail on the head. Most everyone's waiting for someone else to come through or lead, or hoping they don't screw up. This team needs killer instinct. That's surely why Boston has such a ridiculous home record. But at most positions, I can't really say that the Red Sox are significantly more talented than who the Crew has. Their guys are paid more, mainly 'cause they're older. Anyway...

I question some of Yost's approach & effectiveness like everyone else. If it's July and he hasn't started pulling his team out of this mess, then the focus probably comes more squarely on the manager's office. I do agree with whomever said that there's not likely to be an '82-type magic bullet to be found in firing a manager to get to the Series.

Let's try to not turn this into another Yost thread. We have a designated Yost thread for general job evaluation stuff. The other threads regarding Ned should stick to the specific focus defined in the lead post. This thread is more about Melvin and Nashville than anything about Ned's job performance or the condition of the Brewers.

Anyone think Kremblas was shaking in the knees a little knowing all the talk that's going on? Even if there's nothing to any of it, I imagine it had to be in the back of Frank's mind.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Doug Melvin has been a fan of Branyan for some time, so I think he will likely soon be making a move to bring Branyan up to platoon with Hall. He probably also wanted to see how Nix, Iribarren, Nelson, and Rottino were doing, along with the pitchers.

I'll try again...

Given that trips to visit the minor league affiliates are a normal procedure, I have a hard time reading anything in the way of an ulterior motive into the visit. To be a successful GM, Melvin has to know good details about every team, player, & staff in the farm system, and first-hand viewing can reflect a whole lot more than words on paper at times. This visit seems to fall right in line with the usual purposes.

Have to say i think DM is in Nashville for a couple of reasons

1 he wants to talk to Kremblas and see what ideas he has for the big league club and what to do to motivate some of the players

2 he wants a upclose look at three of his power hitting lefthanders Branyan, Nelson and Nix as ne knows he needs to find some more power from the left side and fill some backup spots 3rd base for one and OF..

3 Im wondering if Boston is asking for Gabe K in trade for Julian Tavarez since he is a huge hit in Boston and DM did inquire about JT.. If that happened i could See DM bring 2 of the 3 up to help give the O a boost.. IMO i would do Branyan and Nix with Gwynn back to AAA

I think it was mostly to get a up close look at Branyan, Nelson and Nix since Doug knows we badly need power from the left side off the bench and to start once in awhile. But I would imagine he also wanted to talk to Kremblas a little bit about his thoughts on possibly managing the big club if Yost is in fact like most of us hope fired.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

It's not a bad theory I just don't think it has anything to do with Kremblas possibly replacing Yost. Melvin has known Kremblas for quite sometime and if it was any thing related to replacing Yost a simple phone call would've been enough. I think Melvin is just looking at the players -- remember Weaver's "option" for better or worse will run out eventually.

It's not a bad theory I just don't think it has anything to do with Kremblas possibly replacing Yost. Melvin has known Kremblas for quite sometime and if it was any thing related to replacing Yost a simple phone call would've been enough. I think Melvin is just looking at the players -- remember Weaver's "option" for better or worse will run out eventually.

That is a good point, I forgot about Weaver. I would assume that the Brewers will give him a chance at some point to see if he can help at all on the big club before another team can sign him.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Verified Member

All anyone can do is speculate - well, unless they have "sources close to the team." It does seem like odd timing.

But, in addition to the possible reasons for the trip already cited, there is also a long political process of upgrading the ballpark. Melvin could be meeting with the owner of the Sounds along with any civic characters involved in making that happen. That would definitely be something that could require personal involvement.

Formerly AKA Pete

Archived