Brewer Fanatic

4/7/07 Cubs (Zambrano) @ Brewers (Sheets): 12:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really doubt that his K totals are going to be like that as the season goes on, it appears he still has the stuff as shown in his first game, but nonetheless, I think it's just two of those games, and I think he'll get back to his old self, remember, he has had injury problems the last couple years, he may not be electric rightaway during the first couple weeks, give him sometime to get into the full grind...

as far as this team not showin much hope, I think these guys CAN do it, I think these guys CAN put up big individual numbers, but whats missing is, they just gotta get it goin, I see no reason why they cant put up big numbers all of them and be good run producers, as much as its fustrating, during the first two weeks I think last season the B AVG for the entire team was tops in the NL, and yet it seemed during those two weeks like the Brewers were lacking still at times.. I think everyteam goes through this to a certain extent, give it sometime to level out and have everyone get goin

Nice AB's, guys. The top of the order sure is getting it done.

Man, I'm sure getting frustrated with this team quickly, they look completely different than the opening day squad. They're just getting dominated.

Sheets has faced the Dodgers and Cubs so far, two teams without a lot of patient hitters. So you'll have a lot a free swingers leading to less Ks (and even fewer walks if possible).

And let me say that the offense wasn't that bad today. 3 runs in a Zambrano start isn't great, but its hardly worth crying over. The defense is what has looked really bad.

Quote:
Yeah the defense was the story. There should have been only 4 runs allowed.
Yeah, then they would have only lost 4-3.

Offense, as has been an unfortunately recurring theme over the past couple years, is the story.

That's a ludicrous comment. Changing one play changes the entire dynamic of the game. Say, for instance, Hall holds Derosa to a double and they complete the double play in the sixth. That makes it 3-2 after six. If that occurs, they don't bring in Dessens, they bring in Wise, who was also warming up. He has a much better chance of not giving up a run as compared to Dessens. At the same time, the Brewers hitters don't press as much in their at bats, increasing the likelihood of better offense.

Of course offense is a problem, but when you're going against Zambrano, three runs isn't terrible. Just what endaround said.

In these games you have to minimize both defensive and baserunning mistakes in order to maximize offense.

I just got home from the game and I gotta say a really poor performance by the crew overall. Sure there were a couple bright spots but overall to me it looked like they didn't even want to be there. Outside of J.J. it seemed as if everyone was out in left field. I know its only the first week but in my opinion (having gone to a couple of games now) the intensity needs to be picked up.

The day wasn't a total loss though, I made it on the jumbotron!!!

The best thing today...may be that our Cubs game is out of the way on our 20-pack.

Also, that double play in the top of the 9th was pretty sweet (though you know, if any play from that game makes Web Gems, it's going to be the other one).

Otherwise, what a sack of crap. BadgerFan had a spot-on observation:

If we haven't done damage to Zambrano by the third inning, we're in big trouble. You can usually tell how his day is going to go by the first couple of innings.

As soon as Hothead got the RBI, momentum swung and that was about it. I found myself mildly surprised later in the game that it was "only" 1-2...just in time for it to get worse. The hothead showboating (circle the mound, pump arm repeatedly, point at sky) got old immediately, and it was discouraging that the Brewers kept giving him reason to put on his act.

I can't speak for the whole park, but our section was probably 70% cub fans. We were surrounded on three sides (yay for sitting on the aisle). The guy in front of me had a jacket whose Cub emblem (on the back, of course, so it stared me in the face all game) had to have been one foot in diameter.

Tonight I don't even like looking at the letter C.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived