Brewer Fanatic

Blogger claiming Yost fired (5/19, Simmons will be named) - Latest: Ned still manager

gbpacker40
And if you think a blogger's anonymous source is even in the same universe of reliability as a newspaper writer's, I fear for the way you gather information.

A blogger can hear one thing from whomever he deems a 'source close to the team' and fire off his report without thinking twice. Heck, he can make the source up altogether if he wants.

You're making a gross generalization without any backing. There are responsible bloggers out there same as responsible journalists. And vice versa, whether they have credentials or not. To assume a blogger doesn't have any journalistic background or integrity is the same as assuming that a "credentialed" journalist has it merely because he's credentialed - foolish.

You assume this guy's source has no basis or ties to the organization. Why?

I guess I'm on the soapbox, but I find this thinking so frustrating. And I think this board should be high on the list of folks who know that there are smart, informed people writing on the internet.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The simple explanation is that the reporter in question, always in the pocket of the team's management ...

Unabashedly ridiculous.

I won't address the ad hominem, but I will say that the very existence of this Web site is evidence enough that there is an appetite for alternative sources of information about the ball club. The reporter in question pulls his punches. Maybe he has to, since it's a small-market town or because it's just easier. And I'm sure he's a good guy, or someone you look up to, or someone who uses proper punctuation. The fact remains that what he knows about the organization is managed by the organization and he does not have a record of dogged pursuit of additional sources that would somewise illuminate the very real problems of the organization.

Remember the "debate" over public financing over Miller Park (and how it was only outside news organizations that reported on the Selig plan to retire equity of the other owners, thus enriching himself at a time the payroll went into the gutter)? Or what about the Selig-Prieb front office and the free ride IT got? It suffices to say that while Doug Melvin has had some "unabashed" successes, his failures are a big part of the story of this team, and those aren't in the spotlight. To give a simple example, look at a beat writer like Paul Sullivan at the Chicago Tribune. His employer OWNS THE TEAM, and yet his writing reflects multiple-sourced skepticism of management decisions and on-the-field play.

The reporter in question here? Like I said: His value is mostly stenographic.

And I think this board should be high on the list of folks who know that there are smart, informed people writing on the internet.
I think it's quite the opposite. This board is high on the list of folks who know that the internet is mostly garbage and realize that BF.net is a rare forum for intelligent discussion.

I think there's some validity to what you're saying, Stein, though I don't agree with it 100%. I mean, my memory might be a bit faded, but I don't know if you can really say the press gave the Brewers a "free ride" during the Selig-Prieb era.

Let's face it...the Brewers are "in bed" with Journal Communications to a large extent. You aren't going to likely see hard hitting critical journalism about the Brewers in the Journal Sentinel, or hear harsh talk about the Brewers on 620 WTMJ, usually.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

And if you think a blogger's anonymous source is even in the same universe of reliability as a newspaper writer's, I fear for the way you gather information.

A blogger can hear one thing from whomever he deems a 'source close to the team' and fire off his report without thinking twice. Heck, he can make the source up altogether if he wants.

Buzz Bissinger, is that you? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

What I don't understand about this entire deal is why Melvin doesn't come out in support of Yost (assuming he's not going to fire him). Otherwise, Melvin is basically saying "I'm not firing him yet, but could in the near future if things don't go well." How does Yost have any credibility with the players and staff in this position? It seems like everyone is waiting to see how bad things need to get before he is fired. Does anyone realistically think that Yost will be managing a post-season game this year, and if not, does anyone think he will be back next year? If that's the case, why not cut ties when it still early enough to salvage the season?

What I don't understand about this entire deal is why Melvin doesn't come out in support of Yost (assuming he's not going to fire him). Otherwise, Melvin is basically saying "I'm not firing him yet, but could in the near future if things don't go well." How does Yost have any credibility with the players and staff in this position? It seems like everyone is waiting to see how bad things need to get before he is fired. Does anyone realistically think that Yost will be managing a post-season game this year, and if not, does anyone think he will be back next year? If that's the case, why not cut ties when it still early enough to salvage the season?

Who knows, maybe this will give Ned a kick in the butt to realize that he's on a short leash. Maybe he'll stop talking down to every reporter that questions anything he does. Maybe he'll learn something. Probably not, but if he doesn't get fired, then I sure hope he sees it that way.

Anyway, you guys are missing the most important part of Haudricourt's story:

What makes me a bit suspicious of that posting is saying that Simmons would replace Yost. I've never considered Simmons the primary candidate to be the team's interim manager. I've always thought Dale Sveum would be a more logical choice because he's been with the organization longer and has previous managerial experience in Pittsburgh's farm system.

I think I just threw up a little.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yeah, it's pretty strange for a reporter to act like newspaper journalists don't make up sources either... or at least have equal opportunity as bloggers to do so.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If anyone should be canned for this brutal start it should be Melvin. For putting together such a gawd awful bullpen. Ned is forced to put these clowns out there. If they'd do what they're getting paid for we'd be over .500. Firing Ned is just finding a scapegoat. Melvin's boys, Gagne and co will still be blowing leads ad nauseam.

In addition to Sveum's history with the organization and previous management experience - he has already promised that if he were made manager the Brewers would benefit by having a competent third base coach replace him. It was estimated that this would gain the Brewers 15-20 runs over the course of the season.

I don't know why I tried.

You guys have your minds made up about TH and, to a certain extent, journalism in general. And it's apparent that's not going to change no matter what I say or how wrong you are.

I will say it sucks, though, and isn't easy for me to read.

Carry on.

It is funny to me that TH is so up in arms about this blog when he's been so reluctant to report any sort of rumors. Especially with this Badger Blog, which appears to be more about politics and isn't a sort of "inside sports" blog. I've always thought poorly of TH, but him throwing the blog under the bus when he was the one who spread the report was absurd. He should've spoke with his unnamed source first before posting anything, if at all.

You guys have your minds made up about TH and, to a certain extent, journalism in general. And it's apparent that's not going to change no matter what I say or how wrong you are.

Carry on.

Many people on here have their mind made up on many things. I have my mind made up that I want Yost gone. But anyone is welcome to disagree.

I'm a jazz musician and credit union manager. I've heard people rip on both jazz music and credit unions. I completely disagree, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to state how they feel about it. I guess I don't understand why it's so hard to read. Perhaps you're not reaching the people that are arguing with you, but that doesn't mean no one read your posts and took note of what you said.

Anyway, back to the Yost firing. I keep leaving the site thinking that if I wait long enough without logging back in, I'll come back and it will be official. Or I'm at least waiting for word from Mark or Doug. Is there any reason why they wouldn't have made a statement by now if this is false?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

With Ned seemingly safe, Brewer Nation breathes a sigh of relief. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It would certainly be good news for our sales for Yosted t-shirts for the time being.

"I'm not motivated to buy one of those "Yosted" t-shirts at this time."

On a side note, no offense to the bloggers on this board, but society is at a pretty sad state where some putz with a website somewhere who makes a claim about something that is going to happen makes the news. Anyone can hide behind the "anonymous sources close to ____" shield. Don't get me started in a rant about irresponsible journalism.

Be careful what you wish for - there's absolutely no guarantee that when Yost gets canned we won't end up with Dale "Clueless Joe" Sveum or Ted "Never Had One Lesson" Simmons.

Either of those 2 options IMO would be worse than Yost.

Be careful what you wish for - there's absolutely no guarantee that when Yost gets canned we won't end up with Dale "Clueless Joe" Sveum or Ted "Never Had One Lesson" Simmons.

Either of those 2 options IMO would be worse than Yost.

I don't think either would be worse then Yost but they sure would not be my first choice of Frank Kremblas.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Carry on.

I'm not sure why you think you're the only one with any journalistic credibility. I'm certain I'm not the only one with a Journalism degree here and I know we have multiple freelance writers. I personally wasn't even commenting on TH.

Archived