Brewer Fanatic

Blogger claiming Yost fired (5/19, Simmons will be named) - Latest: Ned still manager

gbpacker40
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The simple explanation is that the reporter in question, always in the pocket of the team's management, is a little bewildered by this "Internet" thing and so has entered into its embrace rather reluctantly. That leads to ham-handed posts like the one in question, where his competing impulse to keep within kissing distance of management is met with the nattering of some pesky kids, as he sees them.

(Also, an earlier post suggested Simmons as a drughead, whose "lost" look could be attributed as such. I think the drugs we were talking about from the 1980s clubhouse would have had quite the opposite effect.)

This just in..... Yost just... took a bite of a pancake at the hotel restaurant. My source doesn't have a clear view but it appears that while there is plenty of syrup on the pancake, there is no evidence of any butter whatsoever.

Stay turned, folks

That can't be true, since they didn't note the giant pot of coffee that would have been accompanying the pancakes.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think that a slightly more palatable approach would have been to say that rumors are swirling, etc., but TH's own source says that no move is in the offing.
If I am reading this all correctly. TH was merely responding to rumors and a new blog that was posted. TH did not comfirm the report and actually went out of his way to direct readers to the blog to form their own opinions.

As soon as TH could get confirmation (Sounds like TH's source was en route), TH posted an update stating that no such move was imminent.

I think he handled it perfectly. I would rather have too much news than too little. It is also worth noting that TH didn't "report" Yost was fired. He merely "blogged" that someone else is reporting that.

If Tom wanted to verify the blog report, why not contact your source before reporting on the unverified blog posting? When his source told him there was no news, he could simply either not report anything (since there's no news to begin with) or just refute the blog's report.

If Mark A and Doug are anything like Yost, they probably had initially planned to fire him, but once this leaked out they decided not to just to show us.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Verified Member
The simple explanation is that the reporter in question, always in the pocket of the team's management, is a little bewildered by this "Internet" thing and so has entered into its embrace rather reluctantly. That leads to ham-handed posts like the one in question, where his competing impulse to keep within kissing distance of management is met with the nattering of some pesky kids, as he sees them.

My impression is exactly the opposite. When you hear Ned having one of his mini-tantrums, if you listen to the questions that prompted it, they frequently come from Haudricourt. In fact, that is his reputation, that he is persistent with questions to the point that he ends up getting yelled at. That reputation precedes Yost's arrival on the team.

The management has no choice but to respond to him. He doesn't have to kiss anyone's backside to get access - he has it regardless.

And really, do you think he cares about the pesky kids on the internet? Why would he?

Formerly AKA Pete

though it does explain why Attanosio was in attendance for a east coast game.

Maybe he just wanted a chance to sit at Fenway and watch a Brewers game, since we only go there every 10 years. A lot of people from this site did the same thing. It may be no bigger than that.

The day is not yet half over. Plenty of time for a move.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

"And really, do you think he cares about the pesky kids on the internet? Why would he?"

Reporters, especially those who make tenured-type salaries, are pretty replaceable nowadays. I'll stand by what I say about him. He's been part of the atmosphere over the years in which mediocrity has been tolerated. But whatever. His value is as a stenographer, not as someone providing valuable analysis or criticism as you'll see with beat writers in other markets.

If he doesn't get fired today, I'm not sure when they would do it--it just makes sense to do it today.

Well, first off, you're assuming they're looking to fire him at all. We don't have any real indication of that. Certainly waiting to see how the rest of the road trip goes wouldn't exactly be out of the realm of possibility. It's not like managerial firings in baseball only happen on "off days." In fact, looking ahead, next Monday's game in Washington is a day game, while the game at Miller Park on Tuesday is in the evening. Certainly, that would leave time for Melvin and company to make any decisions.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If Tom wanted to verify the blog report, why not contact your source before reporting on the unverified blog posting? When his source told him there was no news, he could simply either not report anything (since there's no news to begin with) or just refute the blog's report.

While I completely agree with you, to play devil's advocate, you could look at the presidential election and ask why did CNN report Al Gore as the next president instead of waiting for more results? There is quite a bit of pressure now to be the first to report news.

Also, perhaps Tom couldn't get a response from his source and felt he should go with it.

Plus, he's posting this in a blog (a jsonline blog but a blog nonetheless), he didn't print it as a story in the Journal-Sentinel. Sort of less official.

Well, first off, you're assuming they're looking to fire him at all. We don't have any real indication of that. Certainly waiting to see how the rest of the road trip goes wouldn't exactly be out of the realm of possibility. It's not like managerial firings in baseball only happen on "off days." In fact, looking ahead, next Monday's game in Washington is a day game, while the game at Miller Park on Tuesday is in the evening. Certainly, that would leave time for Melvin and company to make any decisions.

Especially if by the "report" you are going to just move up the bench coach.

While I completely agree with you, to play devil's advocate, you could look at the presidential election and ask why did CNN report Al Gore as the next president instead of waiting for more results? There is quite a bit of pressure now to be the first to report news.

Also, perhaps Tom couldn't get a response from his source and felt he should go with it.

Plus, he's posting this in a blog (a jsonline blog but a blog nonetheless), he didn't print it as a story in the Journal-Sentinel. Sort of less official.

Actually, the news organizations declared Bush the winner first and Gore was stopped from conceding only at the last minute as it became clear that he had more votes.

It's a pretty sensational rumor about a figure central to your beat from a far-flung source. Where are the standards?

Actually, the news organizations declared Bush the winner first and Gore was stopped from conceding only at the last minute as it became clear that he had more votes.

It's a pretty sensational rumor about a figure central to your beat from a far-flung source. Where are the standards?

See, I didn't check my sources either... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I agree nobody has the patience to wait for the truthful, factual story anymore. It's unfortunate.

If he doesn't get fired today, I'm not sure when they would do it--it just makes sense to do it today.

I'm apt to agree with you, but I also wonder if these games against the Pirates and Nationals would be indicative of anything....like, if they go 4-2 against those two particular teams, is that enough to save Ned's job? In my own personal opinion, Ned already hasn't done enough to keep the job, and I don't think those six games should make the difference--we've had six years. If anything, if they continue along this track it could be hurtful to keep him for another week (and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Ned is the sole problem with this team, far from it).

I just think it'd be good that if they indeed are going to can Ned, that they deal with this issue on an off-day, and then let the team get acclimated to a new skipper (whether it's Simba or Kremblas or whoever) before they come home in the midst of a 15 game stretch.

Yeah I would love to see the Brewers go 4-2 on this stretch in Pitts and Wash, but then I have a bad feeling Doug and Mark will be fine with Yost again and think things are turning around until the next 5 plus game losing streak and then we are at this point again. Might as well just cut ties now and start fresh, things just are not gonna get better with Yost around here in my own opinion.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Maybe it's TH's way of saying Yost is in serious trouble (though a firing may not be imminent) without burning the source in management that has told him that

Well, this morning's media action does make Yost's future a more public issue than it has been (except on this site, where it's been on the table for months).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived