Brewer Fanatic

Blogger claiming Yost fired (5/19, Simmons will be named) - Latest: Ned still manager

gbpacker40
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- In a somewhat unusual move, Ned Yost reported that the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is close to firing long-time Brewers reporter Tom Haudricourt. Yost characterized the firing as "imminent," but wouldn't reveal his source, citing "persons close to the paper."

When asked how the move may affect him, Yost responded that he was too busy drinking coffee to read the news and/or manage a baseball team.

John Briggs 12 is expected to step in to replace Haudricourt.

I cannot confirm nor deny this report other than to say the negotiations are currently in a very sensitive stage. I will say that Vic Feuerherd was a classmate of mine at St. Norbert and I look forward to renewing his acquaintance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think we can call TH's blog post "irresponsible journalism" at all. It's a blog - he's posts topics for discussion. He stated very clearly that the source in question is sketchy but it makes for a fun topic that generates banter. It's not like they stopped the presses and put this news in the latest print edition.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't think TH blogging is the same thing as your or I blogging. It seems that since he represents a newspaper he should be held to a higher degree of responsibility. That being said I am not saying he is irresponsible at all.

Homer -

I would like to think our local journalists would not stoop so low as to use a blogger for a serious story like that. To me, thats no different than quoting someone in the Doug Melvin thread on this site....

"Homer, a frequent poster on Brewerfan.net says that he has sources that Doug Melvin will be fired today"

Your sources btw are 2 parrots next to you saying "Fire Doug, Fire Doug, Polly want a cracker."

Its not a fact, and his blog may be for discussion, but give me one good reason he had to bring that blog up? He couldve simply stated that he believes its a possibility that Yost may be gone today after hearing Brauns comments. There was no need to quote a internet blog.

Ryan Braun said after a three-game sweep in Boston that he didn't sense the team expected to win.

He may be the one guy on the team who feels safe speaking the truth, thanks to the 7/8 year deal he just signed.

Looks like Yost won't be calling him "Braunie" anytime soon, after how Braun threw him under bus yesterday. I guess he will be calling Braun something else...

I don't think we can call TH's blog post "irresponsible journalism" at all. It's a blog - he's posts topics for discussion. He stated very clearly that the source in question is sketchy but it makes for a fun topic that generates banter. It's not like they stopped the presses and put this news in the latest print edition.

Homer is correct. In fact on the inception of the Blog TH stated that this is the purpose of the Blog, to give updates and address certain rumors. Because of the Blog he would have been criticized if he didn't talk about it, whether it be from posters or MJS.

I really don't get why Haudricourt would have even posted that. If the blog is right, he's just showing everyone he was scooped by a blogger. If it's wrong, he put a spotlight on a faulty report.

I don't support Haudricourt's decision to post this at all, in fact, I've lost some respect for him due to this.

You're at JSOnline, you've got direct access to the people who would know, and you post a rumor from a blog? That's indefensible, he's supposed to be an informed source, anyone you know could have done what he did, it doesn't take press credentials to pass rumors along.

A change in managers would not surprise me in the least, but Tom H, come on, get it from an actual source - and report it.

This just in..... Yost just... took a bite of a pancake at the hotel restaurant. My source doesn't have a clear view but it appears that while there is plenty of syrup on the pancake, there is no evidence of any butter whatsoever.

Stay turned, folks

Someone on Haudricourt's blog now saying a friend working at airport reported seeing Yost coming off flight from Pittsburgh.

I have a source in Atlanta saying Yost was seen at a local liquor store with a 40 of Old English.....

Dun dun...dun dun...dun dun dun.....

Sorry had to.

Im going to take a quick nap, when I come back I fully expect to hear some good news....You know the kind were we trade Hall for Kazmir, Gwynn for Cain and Fielder for Webb. Or we fired Yost, I prefer the 1st one, but the latter works as well.

Homer -

I would like to think our local journalists would not stoop so low as to use a blogger for a serious story like that. To me, thats no different than quoting someone in the Doug Melvin thread on this site....

"Homer, a frequent poster on Brewerfan.net says that he has sources that Doug Melvin will be fired today"

Your sources btw are 2 parrots next to you saying "Fire Doug, Fire Doug, Polly want a cracker."

Its not a fact, and his blog may be for discussion, but give me one good reason he had to bring that blog up? He couldve simply stated that he believes its a possibility that Yost may be gone today after hearing Brauns comments. There was no need to quote a internet blog.

The reason to bring the blog up is to give credit for the initial story. That's the proper way to do it. He had to either cite the Badger Blog or say nothing. Plus, citing the blog gives us, the readers, more information on his source and allows us to decide for ourselves whether it's reliable or not.

It's not like he reported that Yost is going to be fired. He just passed along the link. I don't really see a problem. Actually, John Tomase of the Boston Herald is probably wishing that he had handled his Spy gate story a little more like this.

Looks like Yost won't be calling him "Braunie" anytime soon, after how Braun threw him under bus yesterday. I guess he will be calling Braun something else...

I didn't think Brauns comments threw Yost under the bus as much as it did the players. I know Hardricourt seem to think his comments harmed Yost but he also thought posting something as significant as Yost is going to be fired from a non sports, non baseball, blogger of unknown integrity level based on an unnamed source was a good idea.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Haudricourt posted a link to a blog in his blog. He didn't put it on the site as a story, he kept it in his blog. The only thing I don't like about it is that he refers to Badger Blogger's anonymous source as questionable but he then uses his own anonymous source inside the Brewers to deny the rumor. How is it different?

I think TH's sources are more reliable than a bloggers - unless that blogger is consistently right which no one really knows since his blog is mostly about politics.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really hate this kind of reporting. It's just a sneaky, backdoor way of rumor-mongering while maintaining a stance of journalistic respectability.

And then, later: "It could be a totally irresponsible posting by 'Badger Blogger,' which as I've stated many times is a real danger of the Internet."

Then why on earth would you report on it?

He probably was getting a bunch of emails on it and decided to check it out for himself. Instead of responding to each email, he posted in a blog. I really don't see the big deal.

TH posted the blog rumor on the MJS blog for a pretty simple (at least I thought) reason: Any idiot at this point knows it's quite possible Ned Yost could be fired. So any publishing of a rumor that it will happen based on a source close to the team - even if by an unaccountable blog - needs to be addressed.

So TH checked on the report with his own source to either confirm or refute. It really is simple as that.

And if you think a blogger's anonymous source is even in the same universe of reliability as a newspaper writer's, I fear for the way you gather information.

A blogger can hear one thing from whomever he deems a 'source close to the team' and fire off his report without thinking twice. Heck, he can make the source up altogether if he wants.

At any newspaper I've ever heard of, a writer's anonymous source - even when credited just in an online report - must be confirmed and double-checked just like every other fact that goes into print.

Archived