Brewer Fanatic

Blogger claiming Yost fired (5/19, Simmons will be named) - Latest: Ned still manager

gbpacker40
To be quite honest, and I know it's probably an odd theory, but I still think yesterday was the day, but Doug changed his mind when BadgerBlogger and Haudricourt decided they wanted to beat him to the punch. Nobody tells Doug Melvin what to do! Not nobody, not no how!

So you're convinced that Melvin was about to pull the trigger, but once he heard of the report he backed out of it? What would his motivation be for doing that?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he wouldn't have to fire Yost after Yost heard about it from everyone else. Just imagine managing someone, having to fire them, but having them find out because someone that wasn't supposed to know leaked it. But then you still have to fire them...how much more uncomfortable is it after that? Now project it a little as the leak was broadcast in the regional and then national media. I imagine that makes it a little more uncomfortable.

But seriously, I'm not actually claiming that this happened, and I'm not gonna say I can "verify with my source" or something like that. It's just a gut feeling that I have that I felt like sharing, so just take it as that.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Batting a guy like Kendall (decent to good OBP, low SLG) 9th is a significant upgrade at the bottom/top of the lineup.

...but then bats a guy like TGJ second?

I'm very glad Yost has been unafraid to not be 'that' manager that puts on the hit-&-run or sac bunts to 'get things going

yost H&R's way too much

I'm sure you do, but I don't think your main intention isn't to report the news on this site.

We both report news and discuss baseball. Unfortunately (and fortunately), the fan forum and the rest of the site are joined at the hip. So when someone says "I heard from brewerfan.net that the Brewers traded for Adam Dunn", what does that say about the perception of the credibility of the site?

I know that when there's a rumor, I do my very best to ping my sources and see if there's fire around the smoke, and that stuff takes time.... We do that because there's a feeling the brewerfan will have the news as fast as anyone else, and occasionally, before anyone else. I'm very proud of that, and take that all very personally.

All the yahoos (here and on the JS board) giving Ned criticism for being a hypocrite (he says Braun can say whatever he wants but then complains about what other people say/write!) need to calm down and look at the situation rationally.

It's not hypocritical at all - what Ned is railing against is journalist incompetency by using a completely unsubstantiated blog as a news source. Haudricourt should be criticized for giving that blog any credibility - which he did by printing it in his blog as a member of, and sponsored by, the largest newspaper in the state.

That is journalistic idiocy and Ned has a right to complain about that.

When he says "Braun has a right to say what he wants to say" - he's saying that Braun, as a legitimate member of this team, has a right to say what he wants...

They are not related at all, so it doesn't make Ned a hypocrite...

By my count, one person on here has made a comment on that, and I don't see any reason to call him names.

Besides, it was a quick remark, hardly worth talking about. We have better things to criticize Ned about.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

It was more a reaction to the people posting on the JS site... and a little reactionary http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

However... doesn't change my opinion.

Edit: And I said "the yahoos" - not calling out one yahoo in particular. That's rationalizing, but I think it works...

yost H&R's way too much

Absolutely not, when compared to managers across the league. Yost is definitely one of those least prone to the H&R. I'd go dig for the data, but I have no idea where to search. I can say with confidence, though, that he is easily in the lower 50% of H&R managers... though I agree that that's still too much. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Not sure if it matters, but if we're talking about the Dunn incident, it wasn't JSonline or Haudricourt that blamed us...if I recall it was WSSP.

The funniest twist was that I remember someone posted here this past offseason that, in talking to Mark A. (in passing), he mentioned they had a deal lined up for Dunn, but it fell through.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with Ray...it's apples and oranges. TH left himself wide open by not following the basic rules of credible journalism. For Yost to let him have it I think was justified. Granted, Yost talks down to the press which can be bothersome because it makes him seem like he's talking down to the fans. I think that turns people off, but in this case his rant is completely justified.

Journalists have the right to ask tough questions and print articles that question and aren't always favorable to the subject. That's fair, but if they can't be credible, they should be called on it.

As for Braun, his comments were productive in nature and frankly, he's earned the right to make those comments. He's one of our best players and showed a deep commitment to the franchise in signing that contract. He called it as he sees it and he cares...Bravo Ryan.

TWR, i'm not really sure what the difference is between discussing baseball and reporting the news of baseball.
Discussing and Reporting are 2 different things. Reporting is usually done in a much more formal manner. When it isn't it usually turns into discussion.

We do that because there's a feeling the brewerfan will have the news as fast as anyone else, and occasionally, before anyone else. I'm very proud of that, and take that all very personally.
I'm sorry for not clarifying. I am referring to the Fan Forum area. I don't open the Major League Forum for news, and if I do, I check the links to see if it is legitimate because "Wolf!" has been cried before kind of like what happened with Ned Yost getting "fired" yesterday.

TH left himself wide open by not following the basic rules of credible journalism. For Yost to let him have it I think was justified. Granted, Yost talks down to the press which can be bothersome because it makes him seem like he's talking down to the fans. I think that turns people off, but in this case his rant is completely justified.

I'm thinking this situation has been the product of a cause and effect relationship for a couple years now. Ned treats the media like garbage and assumes their ignorance. In turn the media cowers to Yost most of the time, but in the back of their minds despise him. TH was just hoping the blogger knew something he didn't, and since the news was something he wanted to hear he ran with it. When it turned out to not be accurate for whatever reason, Ned had his chance to rip TH and did just that. Classy Ned, timid/weak media, Milwaukee... ahhh.

Previous history aside, it's still bad journalism.

If he doesn't write it in his blog, most of the world would still have no idea what Badger Blog is... that would not have been as big of a story yesterday. He gave credibility and weight to a story with no reliable sources of any kind... and so maybe did this Badger Blog. But the difference between TH and Badger Blog is that one is employed by the Journal Sentinel and Journal Communications, the other is not...

I'm sure he is a nice guy, but everyone has bad days at work, and yesterday was one for TH...

Anybody else think Ned has too thin a skin to be in a high public profile spot like manager of a major league baseball team? I think back to the way he reacted to the report about how much coffee he drinks, and he went ballistic over that for no good reason.

He better thank god he manages in Milwaukee with the wimps we have covering the sports teams in this town, compared to the bloodthirsty sharks in places like NY, Boston and Philly. He wouldn't have lasted a month in one of those towns.

And does anyone else think that perhaps Ned should spend a little more time trying to figure out how to fix the brewers, rather than spending time complaining about whether some stupid blogger thinks Ned is going to be fired?

This incident just drives home the point that Ned isn't fit to led a major league ball team. He doesn't get he big picture and seems to have some crazy obsession with proving his manhood or something(look at the pujolos incident last year). Way to teach the young kids to not let things distract them Ned. We've just lost 5 in a row, and we've lost 9 straight on the road, and Ned decides it time to give a lecture on the responsible journalism. We need a guy with brains, and I don't think Ned's got enough to get the job done.

AdvantageSchneider:

Agreed 100%. Yost should have said nothing. Most probably weren't aware of this rumor-- Yost discussing its merits just keeps the fire burning.

Yost created a distraction. The focus of his press conferences should be on why his team has lost 5 in a row (before tonight), not about some unsubstantiated rumor.

How many people that post on this site have their own blog?

Accepting anything posted in a blog as credible journalism is pure nonsense, and I still have a hard accepting that media outlets let their "journalists" blog... there's nothing credible about random thoughts and opinions about a subject. Then again, credibility isn't exactly what we're all about anymore, which is a shame, because it's an admirable quality.

It's hard not to share rumors you hear, and I understand that, and I've been caught up in that in the past. Bob Wickman is from my home town, played 2 sports for my father, still comes to our Alumni night for football and I had credible information that he was going to retire. Then Atlanta came along and made an offer that was much more than he thought he was going to get and he went back for another go round... all I could think about the day he signed his contract was what I had posted.

There's a fine line to walk here, the whole spring training move thread is a fine example of this discussion... that being, what exactly is credible information? To think I thought blogging was a fad...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Bob Wickman is from my home town, played 2 sports for my father, still comes to our Alumni night for football and I had credible information that he was going to retire. Then Atlanta came along and made an offer that was much more than he thought he was going to get and he went back for another go round... all I could think about the day he signed his contract was what I had posted.

But I think people respected your thoughts then & now... no loss of credibility based on just one random happening, right? That'd be too small a sample. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

AdvantageSchneider wrote:

Do you think that the behavior of a team leader or manager has no bearing on the overall performance of the team?

Well he didn't criticise the players, and actually turned the press conference away from the tired talk about this guy or that guy not performing, so no I don't think it upset the players. I think how he treats players behind closed doors is much more important than how Yost treats the media.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this was brought up already.

I wonder though if journalists today are willing to do things they wouldn't in the past simply because they and papers so often now are left way behind when it comes to breaking stories? Plenty of times on here or a Bucks board i read, posters joke/mock about when JSonline will finally post up the big story that everyone already knows about.

When i was younger, there were three TV channels and the newspaper that gave the news and broke stories, that's about it. Now it seems pretty rare for the major local papers to be the one to break big sports stories. By the times the journalists and the paper gather all the sure fire facts, in many cases the story is already out all over the internet and on cable shows like ESPN.

Archived