Brewer Fanatic

Blogger claiming Yost fired (5/19, Simmons will be named) - Latest: Ned still manager

gbpacker40
Attanasio needs to start thinking about his customers if he wants the crowds to continue piling in to Miller Park in droves. Its very easy to hate Yost when he is very arrogant and disrespectful of the fans along with his miserable managing style.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been a lot of tickets sold for the remaining games but that doesn't mean fans will show up in August and September if the team continues to lose. And that decreased parking/concession revenue will really hurt the bottom line. Not to mention how losing will make it much more difficult for 2009 advance sales.

There have been a lot of tickets sold for the remaining games but that doesn't mean fans will show up in August and September if the team continues to lose. And that decreased parking/concession revenue will really hurt the bottom line. Not to mention how losing will make it much more difficult for 2009 advance sales.

That is why it is just bad business to keep Ned around. I am sure that Attanassio doesnt run his other business this way so Im not exactly sure why he is allowing one of his employees to stick around when he has alienated his fan base. At some point keeping Ned around is going to hurt the bottom line.

I am sure that Attanassio doesnt run his other business this way so Im not exactly sure why he is allowing one of his employees to stick around when he has alienated his fan base.

Let's not pretend that the all fans are unanimously behind the idea that Ned is the a big part of the problem and should be fired immediately. It's a very vocal (although growing) minority, IMO. I don't think firing Yost will have any meaningful effect on the current season, so I'd rather wait until the off season so that Brewer management can take their time picking a replacement. They idea that SOMEONE MUST PAY and it MUST BE DONE NOW is just an emotional response, so I'm glad that management isn't making any hasty moves.

I'm afraid we will muddle through the next week 4-3 or 3-4 and that will be enough to keep the status quo.

Which is sad, I just get this feeling no matter how bad it gets and how bad we the fans want Nedly gone Mark and Doug will just stand pat.

Some of us fans happen to disagree that this is all on Ned. Don't think your opinions are unanimous...

Yost's failures don't merely date to this season, this rotation and this lineup. The idea that ownership would be acting hastily is erroneous, I think. There is a great body of work to attach to Ned, including a historic second-half collapse, last year's nosedive and a panoply of veteran players underperforming according to their historical numbers and prospects sliding into mediocrity.

There are plenty of arguments made as to why the manager isn't as powerful an influence as knee-jerk fans like me think he is. Okay, I'll grant that. To me, that's the perfect rebuttal to the question, Why NOT fire Ned Yost? If the team is so endemically troubled, what are the great achievements that Yost brings to the table to justify keeping him? How could firing him hurt?

If it's merely a cosmetic change, then you've thrown a segment of the fan base a bone. If it's a change that could bring results, then you've made an improvement. I don't think anyone, even the biggest Yost backers, think he's kept things from getting that much worse.

I doubt anyone thinks is all on Ned. But change has to start somewhere. This is Ned Yost we are talking about. When he's at the top of his game he is an average manager. There is absolutely no reason to keep him around any longer.

I'm afraid we will muddle through the next week 4-3 or 3-4 and that will be enough to keep the status quo.

Which is sad, I just get this feeling no matter how bad it gets and how bad we the fans want Nedly gone Mark and Doug will just stand pat.

Some of us fans happen to disagree that this is all on Ned. Don't think your opinions are unanimous...

I should have worded that different. I know not all think it's all on Ned. But I would say a majority, and I don't think it is ALL on Ned just a lot of it and he has to be the scape goat.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Attanasio needs to start thinking about his customers if he wants the crowds to continue piling in to Miller Park in droves. Its very easy to hate Yost when he is very arrogant and disrespectful of the fans along with his miserable managing style.

I tend to agree with the arrogant and disrespectful argument. He believes all fans are morons who don't understand how difficult the game is to manage. I have no idea what Ned's IQ is, but I don't believe building rockets was ever on his resume.

But I'll also add stubborn to the list of bad qualities. In reading the article about Hardy today, it seemed like Yost could try something different rather than being stubborn about this pitcher hit's 8th idea. Why not put someone who has patience and discipline in front of the pitcher (i.e. Kendall)? If the argument is that Kendall is "like having a second lead-off hitter", then bat him 1st or 2nd with Weeks! Why wait 8 batters every game to get a second lead-off hitter to the plate?! And I understand there are plenty of arguments for leaving it the way it is, but why not at least try Hardy, Kendall, Pitcher to see if it shakes Hardy loose?? Because he's stubborn and this was HIS IDEA! And it's easy for moronic fans to sit back and suggest such foolishness. Such foolishness.....like batting the pitcher ninth....which has served managers pretty well for oh, about 100+ years!

People say it like it's a bad thing, but I say there's nothing wrong with Ned Yost as our scapegoat. Let's hope that Mr. Melvin is guided by Scripture:

"But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the Lord, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness."

In this case, Georgia.

Because he's stubborn and this was HIS IDEA! And it's easy for moronic fans to sit back and suggest such foolishness. Such foolishness.....like batting the pitcher ninth....which has served managers pretty well for oh, about 100+ years!

Many antiquated baseball 'truths' are just myths. Batting a guy like Kendall (decent to good OBP, low SLG) 9th is a significant upgrade at the bottom/top of the lineup. I'm very glad Yost has been unafraid to not be 'that' manager that puts on the hit-&-run or sac bunts to 'get things going'. I'm happy he decided to try some new approaches & strategies.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Are some of you going to be really happy if Yost is fired, and then the team still continues to play poorly? If the Brewers fire Yost tomorrow, make Simmons/Kremblas/whoever the manager, and they're still in last place by the All Star Game, are you then going to call on Attanasio to fire Melvin as well?

I'm not saying I'm against firing Yost...I just don't agree with the idea that there has to be some kind of sacrificial scape goat to placate the fans. Those kind of things don't usually have any sort of demonstrable long term effect on the attitudes of the fans.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Are some of you going to be really happy if Yost is fired, and then the team still continues to play poorly? If the Brewers fire Yost tomorrow, make Simmons/Kremblas/whoever the manager, and they're still in last place by the All Star Game, are you then going to call on Attanasio to fire Melvin as well?

Well, to be fair, some people are already calling for Melvin as well. I'm not exactly in that camp, but anyway...

If they fire Yost and bring in Kremblas or Simmons on an interim basis with the intention of reviewing their work and also looking around this next offseason, I will be happy. I don't necessarily think that firing Yost is gonna propel us into the playoffs this year, but I think it's best for the long-term development of our young players. I'm just getting tired of seeing everyone but Braun accept their mistakes.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

To a point i do. I mean, if i read something on here about a trade(outside of the rumors area of course) i pretty much take it as truth.

And that's ok, but I would check the source first just to make sure. When the source is some blog from a guy name Joe Schmoe that the credibility is questioned by TH, I would be a bit suspicious.

Many will remember when a local radio station pinned a trade rumor on us when it actually came from a blog that was linked to within the thread in the Transaction Rumors Forum. That was similar to what Tom posted today. He covered his butt, but that wasn't good enough for some people, and it caused a bunch of fuss.

And how were we affected by that? Has it affected site growth at all?

I do care about the credibility of this site and message board. Just look at message boards like Red Cedar (Michigan State) that just spew hate and stupidity... it makes the casual and uniformed reader of the board get the preconception that all Michigan State fans are raving lunatics. I've been posting here for around 4-5 seasons now, and I don't want to be characterized as a raving lunatic Brewerfan.net user.

Yes. I did not cover that base in my post about credibility. Thank you, Bucky. I agree.

I do, but I'm wacky like that.

I'm sure you do, but I don't think your main intention isn't to report the news on this site.

And how were we affected by that? Has it affected site growth at all?

We 'weren't' affected because those who run the board make sure that stays an isolated incident... even though it wasn't the fault of BF.net... as opposed to saying, "Oh, who gives a crap? Let it fly." I'm not sure how you can't see how important the credibility of this website is (interviews, access, etc.) -- there's a lot more here than just forums.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

We 'weren't' affected because those who run the board make sure that stays an isolated incident... even though it wasn't the fault of BF.net... as opposed to saying, "Oh, who gives a crap? Let it fly." I'm not sure how you can't see how the credibility of this website is very important (interviews, access, etc.) -- there's a lot more here than just forums.

So we won't get an interview with Jonathan Lucroy because we discussed a false story and thought it was true and then JSOnline blames us for it?

So your argument is not 'our credibility isn't that important, we're just a message board" ?

My argument is that we are here to discuss baseball, not report the news of baseball, and rumors will be a part of that discussion and they might be false.

So if Tom "Baldy" Handricourt wants to blame us for a false report, he is nuts.

i wonder what sort of hellish spiral we could decend into if blogs were all to start citing other blogs.

TWR, i'm not really sure what the difference is between discussing baseball and reporting the news of baseball.

So we won't get an interview with Jonathan Lucroy because we discussed a false story and thought it was true and then JSOnline blames us for it?

Not sure if it matters, but if we're talking about the Dunn incident, it wasn't JSonline or Haudricourt that blamed us...if I recall it was WSSP.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Sounds like Ned was a little upset with yesterday's blog -

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/05/20/yost-unhappy-with-blog-reports.aspx

At least according to that same blog http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Yes, I suppose I would be unhappy too, and prone to hypocritcal outbursts like everyone can say what they want, and yet it's irresponsible for people to say what they want.

Archived