Brewer Fanatic

Interesting comment from Steve Phillips about HR's

moofnelson

I heard Steve Phillips on ESPN radio today talking about how HR's hit in the majors this year are on a pace to be about 1000 less than 2006. Doubles and Triples are down quite a bit, too. That's quite a significant drop. He attributes the drop to the Mitchell report and better drug testing.

At the end of May last year the Brewers had hit 69 homeruns. That's without Braun. This year the Brewers have 42 through mid-May. That would be 29 without Braun.

He went on to say that this lack of power forces teams to emphasize doing the little things to score runs and win games. I guess it's time for the Brewers to start playing "small ball." Not exactly their strong point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't understand the Twins comment. They've scored fewer runs than the Brewers.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My point was, small ball works the best in a low run scoring environments. Historically speaking, teams are still scoring a decent amount of runs. I think Steve Phillips is picking 140 lb hitters with the high socks laying down bunt after bunt.

I think Russ was exaggerating to make a point. 4.25 is still pretty bad.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My point was, small ball works the best in a low run scoring environments. Historically speaking, teams are still scoring a decent amount of runs. I think Steve Phillips is picking 140 lb hitters with the high socks laying down bunt after bunt.

Yes. I agree because you are giving up outs for runs, but it sure pays dividends in late in games and helps your team do better than it's win potential hence my Minnesota Twins comment.

"Small Ball" is an offensive strategy

Even if one believes small ball has any value, it still would only seem to make sense if a team feels it can prevent the other team from scoring and hang on to slim leads.

Last year, Hardy and Fielder were on a ridiculous tear. Hardy started having back problems and hasn't regained his stroke. I doubt it had to do with steroids. Hart doesnt have the physique of a roider, so I doubt there's anything to that either. Fielder, who knows? Seems like his power is natural, but that is the only guy you can question...

Small ball has a place - just not in the second inning with a guy in scoring position with a .300 hitter at bat in a one run game. Ned? You reading this?

Archived