Brewer Fanatic

Move Weeks Down the Order

DrWood

I believe batting leadoff has totally messed up Weeks. The only way I see him recovering is if he gets moved down to 5th through 7th in the order. He was drafted to be a run-producer, not a table-setter. If he walks about as much as Braun, but starts to rake, I'll take it.

You can argue who should bat leadoff, and I think there are a couple of alternatives, but let's not argue that. Also, let's not make this about the batting order, more generally. Let's just discuss the possibility that moving Weeks down might make a more productive hitter.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alot of people say Weeks is just really unlucky, and I agree to an extent. But the guy clearly is not a leadoff hitter. When he was 1st brought up I think most projected him as a 3 hitter. Id love to see a lineup with Weeks, Braun, Fielder at 3-4-5. It may or may not help, but the guy has so much untapped potential it drives me crazy to see him wasting away at leadoff. Kendall has excelled in a leadoff role before, why not move him up to #1?

Dude Kendall already bats leadoff out of the 9 hole!

yeah, Rickie needs to get moved down. I know a lot of people want to give up on him, but I could totally see him moving on and being very productive down in the order.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I think Weeks trying to be a prototypical leadoff hitter is hurting him as well. He's very patient but is patient against balls and strikes just the same. He has so much natural power, so I'd rather he be swinging a bit more and having more chances at guessing right.

Weeks would fit so well in the 6 spot because he could swing away a little more. The problem is we have nobody who can lead off besides Weeks and Hart. Hart is doing well in the 5th spot and he's producing in RBI opportunities so I am hesistant to move Hart to leadoff, but hey, I'm open to anything right now the way things are going.

I'd be open to it, but as long as Yost is manager, I don't think it's gonna happen.

His BB:K rate is pretty solid, but eventually you need to see some hits. He pops up too much, but hey, so does Braun, and last time I checked he's pretty good. I saw something startling on ESPN's gameday in which he was like 2-31 on the season after the count 2-1. There's just no reason for that. Gotta punish the pitcher when he gets behind.

I know it's a result oriented business, but I still don't understand why people aren't buying Yost's claim of which he's had pretty poor luck this year. He hasn't been great, or even good. But he should easily be sitting right along with Hardy at about a .240 - .250 average.

I liked what I saw from him this weekend (Caught stealing aside). He swung at the first pitch fastball a couple times (which will eventually raise his average) and took some very tough pitches. While he only had 3 hits, he probably of should have wound up with 6.

I'd be open to it, but as long as Yost is manager, I don't think it's gonna happen.

His BB:K rate is pretty solid, but eventually you need to see some hits. He pops up too much, but hey, so does Braun, and last time I checked he's pretty good. I saw something startling on ESPN's gameday in which he was like 2-31 on the season after the count 2-1. There's just no reason for that. Gotta punish the pitcher when he gets behind.

I know it's a result oriented business, but I still don't understand why people aren't buying Yost's claim of which he's had pretty poor luck this year. He hasn't been great, or even good. But he should easily be sitting right along with Hardy at about a .240 - .250 average.

I liked what I saw from him this weekend (Caught stealing aside). He swung at the first pitch fastball a couple times (which will eventually raise his average) and took some very tough pitches. While he only had 3 hits, he probably of should have wound up with 6.

Too many if, come, maybe's for me. Eventually you have to stop buying into all, "hit the ball hard, but right at somebody" line. .190 is .190. There are other frustrating facts about Rickie Weeks game that batting average is just a start. He certainly must be moved down in the order, but let's be honest here, he's another Bill Hall then who can swing freely and will K even more and walk less since he won't be less patient and walking wont be a priority. Move him down, but move him down to the 8 hole.

I am all for moving Weeks down the order but who do we replace him with? Hart is not a lead off hitter in my mind. He does not walk much and he is suited well to hit behind Prince. Kendall would make some sense. It isnt like we want our lead off guy trying to steal too much with Braun, Fielder and Hart right behind him.

His glove isn't what's costing us right now. It's his bat.

I'd argue it's the whole package. His arm cost us a double play in a Gagne blown save, etc. But sugar coat it however you want. The bat, the glove, the shoes, the caught stealings, the flavor of sunflower seeds. The guy has got to get it going, or hop a bus to Tennessee.

I wouldn't agree with that. He's slightly below average because of his ability to make the great play.

For crying out loud, it's the major leagues. Every squirrel finds a nut here and there. Just about every second baseman has a highlight reel dive on ESPN here and there. I can't rationalize that making him from terrible to slightly below average. 30 foot throws should not sail over 1st baseman heads and relay throw should not be 82' feet in the dirt. Having a diving grab a few times a year doesn't change much, it's the routine stuff that causes unearned runs and losses that kills this team more than a handful of occassions a year he shows up on the top ten, as does nearly every professional athlete once in a while.

gbpacker40[/b]]I know its a bold statement, but Weeks IMO has just as much power as Braun and without looking at their overall minors numbers, I would be willing to bet they are VERY similiar. The HR Weeks hit in Busch a few years back into Big Mac Land still sits in my mind of what kind of potential this guy has. Is it possible, that moving him to a new spot in the lineup with the continued work on his defense that maybe he is just to overloaded right now. I really think he could post Braun type numbers in the 3 hole if given the chance. Maybe it is misguided, but again its just an opinion.

bold is not the word that came to mind.....please don't compare Braun and Weeks again. I'm all for moving Weeks out of the 1 hole (actually moving him to AAA or trading him would be higher on my list), however, comparing Weeks with Braun is just a bad comparison.

I would think the validity of Minor League numbers don't really matter much when you're in your 4th year of MLB service.

Archived