Brewer Fanatic

Brewers grade in Beantown

schuld66

Here's how I grade the Brewers for the Red Sox series:

Pitching: F 19 earned runs (6.3 per game), 10 strikeouts, 12 walks given, 6 home runs allowed

Hitting: B+ .252 team batting average, 16 runs scored, 7 homeruns, 27 hits, 24 strikeouts, 9 walks taken, 23 left on base

Fielding: F- 6 errors, not to mention the botched double-plays and dropped steal attempt throws.

Overall: D- The bats came alive somewhat during this series, mostly Ryan Braun. I guess this does provide some hope, but there are still WAY too many strikeouts, as well as a lack of clutch hitting. I won't even get into the lead-off situation.

SILVER LINING: At least there were no 9th inning closer issues…

The hitting would get a C at best. The stranded runners like mad and were killed by strikeouts in key situations. They hit better than their season average (sadly), but that doesn't give them a pass for overall poor play.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

The hitting was there. The pitching was solid on friday . Suppan pitched good besides giving up that HR to papi. The Sox are just a better team than the Brewers. The Brewers can hit that level a couple years down the road.

D+ only becasue we hit the ball well....

Community Moderator

I'll give the Brewers a C. They stayed in the games, but they definitely weren't on the same level. But that's ok, the NL champion Rockies didn't have much better luck.

Overall, it just puts things into perspective for anyone who has World Series aspirations for this team. The pieces aren't together yet, and it's not going to happen overnight. If you want to beat the world champions on the road, you can't have 4/5 starting pitchers be inconsistent. You can't have a hit/miss closer. You can't have two of your hitters flirting with the Mendoza line. You can't have a bench that gives you virtually no production. You can't make defensive mistakes.

Overall - D
Plenty of runs, although plenty of missed opportunities to really pile on. The fielding was atrocious. Suppan and Bush battled after getting down early. Villy needs to get his head in the game. He seems to lose concentration out there. The body language from the players seemed to confirm what Braun said...they didn't expect to win.

The Brewer fans get an A+. It was unreal how many came out to Fenway for the weekend. Even the Sox fans were impressed.

Maybe we should have Dean Wormer hand out the grades, at least we'd get a laugh out of it.

Mr Weeks. A 'D' and four 'F's. That's a .182 average. Congratulations, Weeks, you're at the top of the Brewers lineup.

Mr. Weeks hit .272 with a .429 obp for the Boston series. I'd take that for the rest of the year from him. Suppan did not pitch badly. Bush was Bush-like, but he could have used some support from the defense. Villy was given the opportunity to win twice by the offense and couldn't get the job done. It's too bad Branyan wasn't called up to DH. Hall might need to start sitting out a few games. Gwynn adds nothing to the team. It's clear they traded the wrong left handed spare OF'er.

Overall D-. It was embarrasing the way they played. Sure they hit some HR, but they had just 3 hits all weekend with RISP. The defense was comical if you were a Red Sox fan.

Pitching was bad, but defensive lapses two games in a row right after the offense scored to give them leads is just inexcusable.

The worst part about it is that the east coast media, re ESPN, pays close attention to Red Sox games and they had to come away with zero respect for the Brewers.

The worst part about it is that the east coast media, re ESPN, pays close attention to Red Sox games and they had to come away with zero respect for the Brewers.

Fortunately, media polls don't determine who makes the playoffs.

But I do see your point. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well, the Red Sox did take the NL's best last year and sweep them 4-0 in October. So that would put the Brewers at the level of National League Champions, right?

OK... I'll head over to the Silver Lining Thread now.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

The "We want Gagne" chant kinda pissed me off.

I missed that on Sunday, but heard numerous people around me yelling it on Saturday night. My response was...so do I, that means we're winning. After they retook the lead on Sat. night, I yelled over to a guy who was giving me some good natured grief..."That's it...No Gagne for you!" There fans were pretty solid, but their mood sure did change a little when we took the lead...ever so briefly.

The standing O for Kapler was classy...I'm sure the reception for Gagne would have been different. It was noticeable that they had some low level club exec present him with his WS ring deep inside the visting clubhouse.

I really wanted to see Gagne get in their and convert a save at some point during the series just to rub it in those Sox fans faces. Since of course they would have booed Eric out of the building. I did like the standing O they gave Kapler that was pretty neat. It was also cool on Fox Saturday to see Gagne receive his ring, very sharp looking.

Overall though I have to give them a D. I mean they had the bats going decent but the pitching was just not there and they got swept so no better then a D for me. Ryan Braun however gets an A.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Maybe we should have Dean Wormer hand out the grades, at least we'd get a laugh out of it.

Mr Weeks. A 'D' and four 'F's. That's a .182 average. Congratulations, Weeks, you're at the top of the Brewers lineup.

In a time of great despair, this really made me laugh. Well done.

I just love that scene from Animal House.

The hitting was there. The pitching was solid on friday . Suppan pitched good besides giving up that HR to papi. The Sox are just a better team than the Brewers. The Brewers can hit that level a couple years down the road.

D+ only becasue we hit the ball well....

The team ERA on Friday was 0.00. Rain will do that.

Archived